Al Montoya: Why Never a Starter?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Al Montoya started his pro career with great expectations, being a first round pick with the Ranger in 2004. It took him several years to make it to the NHL, and his career numbers are really not that bad. He has had several good seasons as a backup, but never was given the starting role.

When the Winnipeg Jets acquired Montoya as the backup to Pavelec, his numbers were far superior. Unfortunately for whatever reason, he was always relegated as Pavelec's backup. In 2013-14, he posted a 13-8-3 record and a 0.920% with the Jets, while Pavelec was an unimpressive 22-26-7, 0.902%. It seems wherever Montoya ends up, he is always second string.

I'm just surprised the Jets and Islanders did not give him a shot at the #1 spot. I know playing behind Carey Price or Roberto Luongo, this would be unrealistic. Was there any reason for the Islander or especially the Jets not giving Montoya a shot at the starting goalie slot?

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
He joined the Islanders mid-way in his 1st season, and played well.

His first full season(2nd season in total) wasn't good, which is why he didn't get the starting role.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
He's only the third best goalie in the Habs org. and we still have McNiven (OHL goalie of the year) behind him. No clue why he got an extension, and he sure isn't a starter.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
He's only the third best goalie in the Habs org. and we still have McNiven (OHL goalie of the year) behind him. No clue why he got an extension, and he sure isn't a starter.
I believe it's because Montreal needed a goalie to expose in the expansion draft.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

DP was done at that point, his injuries made him barely backup level. His last great game in my opinion was when he stonewalled the Penguins to stop Crosby's 25 game point streak.

I remember at that point the fans, including myself, really turned on DP to the point that we in the stands chanted Al Montoya's name during a game vs the Caps. It was embarrassing for DP for sure and I believe the Isles players rallied around him to either comeback and win or make it close I forget. EDIT: It was in 2011, Isles were down 2-0 after the first and won 5-3. Then there was the game he just sucked vs the Canes that featured a very loud DP sucks chant.

Rick is one of the best guys IMO to come around the Island in the 2000's as far as loving LI and the Islanders, joined MSG as an analyst and is terrific in it still covering the Islanders and looking back it was a mean thing but a necessary one as he was just plain done.

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
He joined the Islanders mid-way in his 1st season, and played well.

His first full season(2nd season in total) wasn't good, which is why he didn't get the starting role.

He started off playing incredibly well his second season. Then got a concussion and his play suffered the rest of the year because of it.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
Rick is one of the best guys IMO to come around the Island in the 2000's as far as loving LI and the Islanders, joined MSG as an analyst and is terrific in it still covering the Islanders and looking back it was a mean thing but a necessary one as he was just plain done.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, he is a joy to listen to on the radio as well..funny and very knowledgeable and just generally really good at what he does now i am glad he found a niche in hockey after the injuries

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He just isn't one of the top 30 goalies in the world. Nothing wrong with that, it's not easy to do. He is still top 60 just by being in the NHL.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
DP was done at that point, his injuries made him barely backup level. His last great game in my opinion was when he stonewalled the Penguins to stop Crosby's 25 game point streak.

I remember at that point the fans, including myself, really turned on DP to the point that we in the stands chanted Al Montoya's name during a game vs the Caps. It was embarrassing for DP for sure and I believe the Isles players rallied around him to either comeback and win or make it close I forget. EDIT: It was in 2011, Isles were down 2-0 after the first and won 5-3. Then there was the game he just sucked vs the Canes that featured a very loud DP sucks chant.

Rick is one of the best guys IMO to come around the Island in the 2000's as far as loving LI and the Islanders, joined MSG as an analyst and is terrific in it still covering the Islanders and looking back it was a mean thing but a necessary one as he was just plain done.

Ohh oops, I totally forgot Montoya was even on the Islanders. I just thought he was saying Montoya was a better goalie than DP in general throughout their careers

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Great backup goalie.

Teams with 1A and 1B goalies have a hard time moving forward, but when you have a clearcut #1 and #2 goalie, with the backup who knows his role, then you're in the clear. Montoya is a #2 who knows he's a #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad