AkBars 2016/2017 season thread (The Green War Edition)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Nikita Cherepanov acquired. Will wear 4. Solid U20 NT player. Good move on paper.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Ak Bars joined to clubs which publish game rosters in infographic, which is great, because Kazan´s fans deserve better marketing!

source

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
First evaluation after 10 games

It is going to be the year. The year of injuries. It always hits a team every once in a while.

Thus no thoughts so far on Batyrshin. Limited input on Paigin and Yarullin. Paigin did look good, but still has growing pains it seems as he is really mailing it in defencsively in some games. We'll see after the injury. Yarullin looks matured, but again sample size due to injury.

Newcomers:

Ohtamaa is showing some inconsistency. Has some solid games and then again horrendous blunders like yesterday against Lokomotiv. He did cost the team the first goal against and loss of good momentum. Stupid shot attempt at the offensive blueline that lead to an interception which ended with Ohtamaa himself being schooled in the own zone by Loktionov. Not impressed. He was supposed to be a steady vet.

Zhukov - nothing really. He is not awful, but he isn't good a anything either.

Popov - the worse part of the deal to bring over the Glinkin - Popov tandem. Servicable 3rd line guy.

Glinkin - the only pleasant surprise among new faces so far. Your typical small winger with great skill. A keeper going forward.

Sekac - okay. Basically meets the expectatons. I haven't expected him to be an offensive superhero. Might be a good complementary player on top line. The problem is we don't have a top line.

Lazarev - he didn't hit the wall... yet. He struggles at times with the pace, intensity and skill of the game. It is understandable at his age and coming from juniors. He just tries to do things that don't work against grown men. While a 1997 Kaprizov looks perfectly comfortable in the league by now...

Grades for some players:

Svitov - C- he is officially old.

Tkachev - C another developmental trap for him. He needs to take the next step. Right now he is trying to use his skill too much instead of using his brain. If he can go past that stage and become a fully mature player he will be alright though. The skill is there.

Varnakov - B. We need more from him. If he stays on the Glinkin - Popov line they might gell well.

Azevedo - B-. Not much so far from a player who is expected to drive the offence.

Obukhov - A. Thank god he is around again with his energy.

Chibisov - C-. Big guy with great puck protection but no vision or hands at all.

Sidorov - A. I will go out and give him that A. Absolutely an A for his age. With all the injuries he should grab that chance and never look back. He gets to play and he plays a very mature game defensively with some offence too. Probably a safe bet for the WJC. A Bragin type of guy. He doesn't look out of place at all in the KHL. Should be a treat to watch against juniors at WJC.

Musin - C-. I think he just reached his ceiling. Often a liability defensively, no notable offence.

Abrosimov - C-.Same here.

Tokranov - A. Has grown ino his role after all the injuries on the team. He was looked upon as a homegrown guy who will become a solid payer in time. He arrived there. He won't be a superstar, but I'm pleased to see him meet the realistic expectations.

Zakharchuk - B. He is holding the fort as good as he can. He always was a great bottom pairing guy. Being the leader is way over his head, but he is once again forced into this situation. This time by the injury plague.

And here comes a rant against the coaching staff:

An absolutely mindboggling decision to make Garipov a starter even before the season start it seems. He is not bad, but he hasn't become better either. I see no reason for him being an undisputed starter and Galimov confidece being destroyed right away by this coaching decision.

Overall impressions:

The team is as bad or good as it was expected to be. With all the injuries on the D they are okay in games. Despite the loss yesterday it was a good game against a good team. The aggressive forecheking limited Lokomotiv pretty well. Only AkBars played against it's own former self it seemed. Lokomotiv is a very solid team with no panic level. 2 scoring chanes they converted into 2 goals and closed out the game. That was something I was used to see from those old AkBars teams.

There is hope for the team if they develop chemistry and hang on to the work ethic I saw yesterday. The vets like Obukhov are definitely helping establish and maintain this attitude. And by December the injured D-men should all come back and give the team a boost.

With

Yarullin - Batyrshin

Paigin - Ohtamaa

Tokranov - Zakharchuk

Sidorov, Cherepanov, Musin, Abrosimov the D would look okay.

The offence needs improvement. Azevedo must wake up. He looks sloppy at times.

Varnakov and Tkachev need to start clicking.

My main concern about this season isn't winning at all. I just hope they do the right decisions on personell. Hang on to the young guys(Paigin Sidorov, Cherepanov) and let them mature.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Stefan Elilott signed. Will wear 21. Colorado's 2nd rounder D-man. 1991 born. Hmmm...

Zakharchuk and Lazarev out with broken fingers. No news on the length so far, but broken bones are broken bones.

If you read the thread you know I knew this is going to be an injury ridden season.

It is fun to watch though. Nothing to lose. 3rd in the East is amazing for the state the team is in injury and rebuild wise.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
It is fun to watch though. Nothing to lose. 3rd in the East is amazing for the state the team is in injury and rebuild wise.

Agree with that part. Makes me think what this can team do once transition has been completed. Well, in sports 2 plus 2 sometimes don't equal to 4 but Ak Bars have been definitely doing well, at least better than expected by me. This may sound weird but I feel the urge to ask since I am not very familiar with the stance of fans and the club itself about this "operation". Let's say Ak Bars finished 3rd in regular season. Would people be hyped for a Gagarin Cup run? Or is it some kind of "We will get nothing this season, forget about it" mentality? Well aside from Magnitka I can't see any reason why Ak Bars shouldn't do great in play-off in east. Sibir, Avangard, Salavat, Avtomobilist, Traktor... Ak Bars can play on par with all those teams. I sincerely hope you guys won't get too much lost in transition idea and lose focus - yeah this team is not meant to win Gagarin Cup this season and nobody will surprised if this would be the case, but I still hope Ak Bars will do everything to get whatever they can get their hands on. This team looks it already has potential for a run, at least to me, thanks in part to the fact that east doesn't look very strong.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Agree with that part. Makes me think what this can team do once transition has been completed. Well, in sports 2 plus 2 sometimes don't equal to 4 but Ak Bars have been definitely doing well, at least better than expected by me. This may sound weird but I feel the urge to ask since I am not very familiar with the stance of fans and the club itself about this "operation". Let's say Ak Bars finished 3rd in regular season. Would people be hyped for a Gagarin Cup run? Or is it some kind of "We will get nothing this season, forget about it" mentality? Well aside from Magnitka I can't see any reason why Ak Bars shouldn't do great in play-off in east. Sibir, Avangard, Salavat, Avtomobilist, Traktor... Ak Bars can play on par with all those teams. I sincerely hope you guys won't get too much lost in transition idea and lose focus - yeah this team is not meant to win Gagarin Cup this season and nobody will surprised if this would be the case, but I still hope Ak Bars will do everything to get whatever they can get their hands on. This team looks it already has potential for a run, at least to me, thanks in part to the fact that east doesn't look very strong.

From the POV of the casual fan there will be a lot of people expecting the team to win every game. It's as simple as that.

I think most of the seasoned fans will watch the playoffs just for the fun of it but not be betohered by the team losing out his time.

There is a lot more concern with management and their policies for the future. They need to get the right players. Having a lot of good depth players isn't enough. If you look at the championship teams they nearly always except for Znarok's bunch-o-Komarovs had at least one major superstar in the lineup. It is nice to build around the core there is now, but they need to lure some star somehow to contend.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Michal Jordan signed. Will wear 19.

A headscratcher actually. We now have 12 D-men under contract. Despite of all the injuries they will all be healthy someday. For now I'm happy with Cherepanov. Maybe Ohtamaa played himself out lately. But then again the stupid signings in bunches of players we have to realize aren't a fit and have to let go later continue.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
3 away games, 9 points. Now comes a 3-game home stint against Amur, Admiral and Kunlun. I already took my "Ak Bars to win" bet for Amur game. This has potential to be a demolition if Ak Bars wants.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ak Bars are playing really well, and look at this Malykhin guy. Reminds one who played for Avto few years ago.

Ak Bars signed Jordan today too which, to me, considering how successfully the team is playing seems like overreaction. Forward, in my opinion, would had been a better addition as this pushes players like Tokranov out of the lineup when everyone is healthy now.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
as this pushes players like Tokranov out of the lineup when everyone is healthy now.

They are far from healthy still and Tokranov played today. Cherepanov with 20+minutes o_O No issue so far.

Lazarev gets limited minutes by now as expected. He is not ready.

Other than that evenly distributed minutes everywhere. This team lacks stars and they aren't easy to find on the market.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Actually, is Ohtamaa injured? Maybe he is getting released, that would make way more sense than overcrowding your roster that much.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Cherepanov "assigned" to Lokomotiv. Pity, but I guess that was the deal.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I don't expect Sekac to be the leading scorer by season's end, but he looks like a good fit.

As for football, that stupid game I have no idea how people can be excited about:sarcasm:, I do not know a single player's name on Rubin.

The popularity of football in Russia is a mystery to me. Especially nowadays. It's borderline masochism. Forget the popularity. People are actually okay with paying money for it and with the money those "football players" in Russia are paid. I refuse to even listen to people who have a problem with hockey player's salaries.

I have even less understanding for people following foreign leagues with no russian players. I can't watch a game if the outcome is meaningless to me. And the outcome is meaningless to me if it's a foreign team without Russians on it. Watching sports is about compassion for my countrymen or my home town team or people I know personally.

Now, if you survived my anti-football slur :) there is a bonus for you in it.

I like playing football, but it is just a terrible bore to watch.

I couldn't have write it better :D I am enjoying Ak Bars this year. And I said it already, but let me add it once again: those video recaps from ak bars YT channel are awesome

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
G Bilyalov obviously a loan to Neftekhimik.

Was discussed for quite some time now in the community. He needs to play on a high level, he is ready, but unfortunately AkBars really doesn't have a spot for him right now.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
War is upon us! :)

sm866d.jpg
The annual green clash is about to begin.
sm866d.jpg

AkBars to start the series with a unique feature.

2ligbhc.jpg

To honor the Green War... no just kidding. To honor the Defender of the Fatherland Day which is on 23rd February AkBars will play the 2 home games to start the series wih that uniforms.

AkBars strength is obviously depth. Everything is set for a long playoff run(hopefully). A lot of forwards and defencemen that can jump right in if need be and a deep core in the top 9.

Keys to vicory for AkBars will be:

15172.jpg

Emil Garipov is going to be the starter. He must be steady and focused.

Salavat is in great shape offensively, so we must suffocate their offence. Defence wins you war... games. But Garipov must be the last line of defence we can rely on.

9c923db6dc331ae4.jpg

By now our best forward. If he can pick up where he left off a year ago and be the force in this playoffs I look at our chances with a smile.

The faceoff with his NT linemate Kaprizov will be fun to watch.

May the best green team win!

4px-BW84_n1ZhjPGtDc10pGucsbX8Y3ftPtufXlJ4yxdPKlmpRtUC-iVAp_zkgyX4aEpSCb3tElStZ8asYKscA==

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
First battle won.

Tkachev needs t convert on his chances, but he is amazing. Just like Kaprizov. Kaprizov had to face some playofff physicality. Billyaletdinov is matching up. Kaprizov had to face checkers all night. Good game.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kaprizov was brought off his game tonight by the AkBars defence. Tkachev was dominant.

2-0 for now. The games in Ufa will be tough and warlike indeed. I expect Salavat to try to apply pressure right away. We need to contain them and keep playing our game of steady defence at the own blue line and in front of the net.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad