Confirmed with Link: Air Canada Center to change name to Scotiabank Arena

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Could someone provide some insight on why organizations want their names plastered on arenas in the first place?

Ooooh, I can!

Essentially things like this are all about brand awareness. For Air Canada, every Leafs, Raptors, Wrestling, MMA, event that is had, their brand name gets said to the hundreds of thousands of people watching on TV. The millions of tickets printed have your brand name on it. Your brand name would also come up more in people's general conversations. ("Where's the concert?" Etc)

The idea behind these kind of things is that Air Canada was placed in the heads of everyone so much, that when they go to book a flight, they will naturally recall "Air Canada".

Essentially, if 10% of people decide to book Air Canada, it works itself out.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Condolences to you folks. I felt the same way you guys do when Corel Center was changed to Scotiabank Place.

Some things will never change for me, CTC will always be Corel Center, Scotiabank Arena will always be ACC, Rogers Arena will always be Skydome, Willis Tower will always be Sears Tower.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Someone asked me the other day if they were going in the right direction to the budweiser stage and I was like WTF is that? Until I realised they were going to the amphitheater.

Same thing is going to be happening with the ACC now.

I believe you mean the Molson Ampitheatre. ;)

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I mean...the Raptors have made the playoffs four straight years, won three straight division titles, went to two straight conference semi-finals, and are worth more in terms of valuation.

Thinking this is completely attributable to the Leafs' very recent success is a little...hockey-y.

The who? Is that the footsketball team?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Pay me $40 million and you can call me anything you want, including Fat-!ss Eugene Engleburt Humperdink Imbecilio III.

Joking aside, I still hate the corporate naming of sports venues. Skydome is still Skydome and nothing will match the glory of Maple Leafs Gardens, or the Boston Gardens, or Madison Square Gardens. The Air Canada Centre has always been the ACC or the Hangar to me, and always will.

I know why it's done, but it is an unlovely side to sports.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
They definitely chose the name "scotia bank arena" as opposed to "gardens" on purpose

Scotiabank wouldn't want their name cut out of the arena name people colloquially refer to it as

it would just be called the "gardens" and for the namesake brand, would be an expensive, 800 million dollar mess up

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Honestly, give it four years and folks won't be calling it the ACC anymore.

I used to think "I'll always call t the skydome" but even I call it the rodgers centre now

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Pay me $40 million and you can call me anything you want, including Fat-!ss Eugene Engleburt Humperdink Imbecilio III.

Joking aside, I still hate the corporate naming of sports venues. Skydome is still Skydome and nothing will match the glory of Maple Leafs Gardens, or the Boston Gardens, or Madison Square Gardens. The Air Canada Centre has always been the ACC or the Hangar to me, and always will.

I know why it's done, but it is an unlovely side to sports.

Can we please stop bringing up "The Hanger?" NO ONE calls it that. It was a lame attempt to slap a nickname on the building in its early days, and it never caught on. Its The ACC...always has been. I vote for Scotiabank Gardens...but I understand why SB will never allow that. As has been stated previously, pretty big waste of 800 mil if nobody uses your corporate name when they talk about the building.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can we please stop bringing up "The Hanger?" NO ONE calls it that. It was a lame attempt to slap a nickname on the building in its early days, and it never caught on. Its The ACC...always has been. I vote for Scotiabank Gardens...but I understand why SB will never allow that. As has been stated previously, pretty big waste of 800 mil if nobody uses your corporate name when they talk about the building.

I imagine at some point S.B.A. will stick.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Pretty sure the Sens fans called their arena "The bank" when scotia bank had the rights to their arena. I wouldn't want to associate the Leafs with the Sens any more then I already do when I hear "scotabank arena"

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
We could call it the Vault. That's the most upvoted suggestion on the Leafs subreddit. I like it too honestly.

We should have a poll up. Make the options The Vault, The Bank, SBA, etc.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Baseketball predicted it.

maxiafter.jpg

Next up: crossover sports.

Seeing this makes me a little more comfortable with Scotiabank Arena. "Tampax Arena" haha. At least they would have a good marketing opportunity when the Red Wings rolled into town lol.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
We could call it the Vault. That's the most upvoted suggestion on the Leafs subreddit. I like it too honestly.

We should have a poll up. Make the options The Vault, The Bank, SBA, etc.

I like the Vault personally. The SBA kind of sounds like some sort of liquor board or something. "I need to go pick up another bottle down at the SBA" lol

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
How about "The Cashbox"? Seems appropriate considering how much $$ goes through the place in a given year.

Also, harkens back the old "Carlton Street Cashbox" nickname the Gardens was occassionaly tagged with back in the day.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How about "The Cashbox"? Seems appropriate considering how much $$ goes through the place in a given year.

Also, harkens back the old "Carlton Street Cashbox" nickname the Gardens was occassionaly tagged with back in the day.

"Shakedown Shop" ? That's how I always feel when I leave.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think it will eventually just be referred to as "Scotiabank". I imagine people saying
"ya, they have a home and home with the Sabres, Saturday night at Scotiabank then Sunday back in Bufallo".

"Let's grab a beer before we get to Scotiabank"

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Ooooh, I can!

Essentially things like this are all about brand awareness. For Air Canada, every Leafs, Raptors, Wrestling, MMA, event that is had, their brand name gets said to the hundreds of thousands of people watching on TV. The millions of tickets printed have your brand name on it. Your brand name would also come up more in people's general conversations. ("Where's the concert?" Etc)

The idea behind these kind of things is that Air Canada was placed in the heads of everyone so much, that when they go to book a flight, they will naturally recall "Air Canada".

Essentially, if 10% of people decide to book Air Canada, it works itself out.

plus they will probably be able to do other stuff like adding Kiosk's, where they will offer new credit cards, and/or setting up accounts, to get new customers, if they could just get 100 people from every game(small fractrion of the 20,000) to sign up 82 games of Leafs/Raps + Playoffs + concerns and other events that's a lot of new customers and money for them. they certainly expect to get there money back and more otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I like the Vault personally. The SBA kind of sounds like some sort of liquor board or something. "I need to go pick up another bottle down at the SBA" lol

I like the Vault too...because you are going to have to steal two points if you're playing against this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00