AI Defensive Strategies?

btlaffin

Deathbat
Jun 30, 2013
My friend and I usually play 2v2 club matches, with the others (RW, LD, RD, G) being AI. It has become quite obvious that our team's computer players play a hell of a lot worse than the other team's.

At first I thought we were just making a generic excuse for losing some games, but it has been the case in every game whether we are winning or losing.

They turn over the puck to the other team without anyone calling for the pass, they make no attempt to skate after a loose puck in the defensive or offensive zone, and they give the other team a ton of space when they enter the zone allowing them to do whatever they want while we get immediate pressure and get laid out by the opposing AI.

Also, on a few instances that actually proved it to me... Both me and my friend that I play with fought the other team's players. So only AI on the ice for both teams. This has happened on two separate occasions, and both times the opposing AI scored twice while we were all in the box. This told me that our computer players play worse.

Basically, I was wondering if the strategies that you control with the D-Pad for fore-checking and stuff made any actual difference in the way the AI plays. Are there specific strategies that will make the compute skate after loose pucks and actually hit another player a few times?

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Increase your defensive pressure, the ai will pressure the opposition when they have the puck more. It won't work when the other team has a lot of skilled players who can pass it around quickly and get your players out of position.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Don't play 2's. Seriously. I know that's kind of a non-answer but i think it's the only answer. The AI, especially defense, is easily exploitable regardless of "strategy". If you must play two's, i'd always go with one forward (usually Center) and one Dman. Having a user Dman not getting burned on breakaways constantly and actually making good breakout passes is infinitely better than anything the computer can do.

btlaffin

Deathbat
Jun 30, 2013
Don't play 2's. Seriously. I know that's kind of a non-answer but i think it's the only answer. The AI, especially defense, is easily exploitable regardless of "strategy". If you must play two's, i'd always go with one forward (usually Center) and one Dman. Having a user Dman not getting burned on breakaways constantly and actually making good breakout passes is infinitely better than anything the computer can do.

I figured that is the only option. I tried playing D before, but even with defensive awareness all the way up, passes just go right through me. I may just have to stop playing all-together. These easy wrist shot goals whenever somebody enters the zone just proves that 0 effort was put into making this game.

Eggywags

A good Canadian kid
Oct 23, 2013
Toronto, ON
I figured that is the only option. I tried playing D before, but even with defensive awareness all the way up, passes just go right through me. I may just have to stop playing all-together. These easy wrist shot goals whenever somebody enters the zone just proves that 0 effort was put into making this game.

I dont have that problem, yes the AI could be a little annoying, but if your going to plays 2's youll definitly will want one defencemen. If not, the d-pad will help, i usually set my defence on puck side attack. Just make sure you back-check and not sit at center ice and slap your stick, cause thats what im assuming your doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad