who is the better player

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
To me it’s Aho without a doubt. Not a slight on Ehlers, but Aho is really really really good.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Similar offense, but Aho is a good two way player and might transition to centre in the future, so him.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Ehlers over the long term. Aho is more of a complete hockey player right now but Ehlers has the higher sealing. Maurice has often mention that he can teach defence to any player but he cannot teach offence. Either the player can produce points or they can not.

• Haha
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Viktor Vaughn

Apr 7, 2018
Ehlers over the long term. Aho is more of a complete hockey player right now but Ehlers has the higher sealing. Maurice has often mention that he can teach defence to any player but he cannot teach offence. Either the player can produce points or they can not.
You say that like Aho didn't outscore Ehlers this year. I love me some Nikolaj but he needs to prove himself more to put himself ahead of Aho.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
You say that like Aho didn't outscore Ehlers this year. I love me some Nikolaj but he needs to prove himself more to put himself ahead of Aho.

Don't disagree with you. Aho may be the better player right now but I still think that Ehlers can become better. That said Aho is better player right now and unless Ehlers does improve Aho will have the better career. That said Ehlers knows he can only be ok when Scheifele and Wheeler dominate the play and get away with it. If he decides to start controlling games like he can then he will over take Aho.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Aho.

Ehlerd is really good but aho is better.

Ehlers has the skillset to be more electric but lacks a bit in defensive play and playmaking compared to aho.

Reactions: HavocWreaker

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Aho has a better balance, mindset, and a better playmaker, but Ehlers is powerful in terms of skating and a shot. Homerness aside, I'm going with Ehlers because I think his ceiling is higher.

To be fair I think Aho does have potential to overcome Ehlers, but right now I see and believe Ehlers is the better hockey player.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Aho has higher hockey IQ, better defensive game, younger, plays against harder competition, plays with worse linemates, was the best player in one of the lower scoring teams and may even play center next year.

C'mon, Im huge fan of jets sa well but this comparison shouldnt be close.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Aho has a better balance, mindset, and a better playmaker, but Ehlers is powerful in terms of skating and a shot. Homerness aside, I'm going with Ehlers because I think his ceiling is higher.

To be fair I think Aho does have potential to overcome Ehlers, but right now I see and believe Ehlers is the better hockey player.

I don't see how you can justify that position. Last season Aho led his team in points while missing 4 games. Ehlers was tied for 4th (with Scheif who played 60 games). He had significantly higher assist per game, marginally higher GPG and significantly higher PPG than Ehlers, all the while playing more responsible two-way game. Jets scored 49 more goals than Canes. Aho was the catalyst for offense in his team (while significantly outpacing Ehlers in a team that scored 228 goals compared to 277, 23rd in the league compared to 2nd in the league) and Ehlers was complimentary player.

Comparing their rookie seasons gives a clear edge to Aho too.

I can understand if someone wants to pick Ehlers because they think he has higher ceiling/potential. But to think he's better player than Aho at this moment is backed up by exactly nothing. His only asset above Aho is skating.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Aho is guaranteed top line and top PP time, Ehlers is not. They're both good players but for the time being Aho will be put into a much better position to succeed and rack up points. Ehlers is stuck waiting for his turn to shine on a very deep team.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Not to be a homer I voted Aho but - and I wanna underscore this - not because he comes from the land of thousand lakes, thick spruce forests and old wise men with long white beards and lunatic looks of a "taata" - no: Simply because because he is just a notch better player in this point of world time and Gregorian calendar. And the future - there is no such imaginary thing, we have only this moment, call it the future - and all that goes beyond in time will be known but not yet, no yet (Gladiator), my friend.

Reactions: CanesInducedComa

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Aho is guaranteed top line and top PP time, Ehlers is not. They're both good players but for the time being Aho will be put into a much better position to succeed and rack up points. Ehlers is stuck waiting for his turn to shine on a very deep team.

Ehlers may not get PP1 time, but he does get to play against weaker competition with Laine. They both still get around the same ATOI.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Not to be a homer I voted Aho but - and I wanna underscore this - not because he comes from the land of thousand lakes, thick spruce forests and old wise men with long white beards and lunatic looks of a "taata" - no: Simply because because he is just a notch better player in this point of world time and Gregorian calendar. And the future - there is no such imaginary thing, we have only this moment, call it the future - and all that goes beyond in time will be known but not yet, no yet (Gladiator), my friend.
oh come on, old? Laine only just turned 20 o_O

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Who has Maurice ever taught to be a better defensive player?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Don't disagree with you. Aho may be the better player right now but I still think that Ehlers can become better. That said Aho is better player right now and unless Ehlers does improve Aho will have the better career. That said Ehlers knows he can only be ok when Scheifele and Wheeler dominate the play and get away with it. If he decides to start controlling games like he can then he will over take Aho.

Ehlers was drafted 2014 and Aho 2015. If there's one player who has more developing to do, which one do you think that would be? The main difference between the two is hockey IQ, where Aho has Ehlers beat so bad it's not even funny, which also happens to be that one thing that cannot be taught.

Anyway, didn't we just have this poll like some months ago? Clearly a flop-sided result with again same player coming on top. Not sure what there's left to discuss.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Can we stop doing Aho polls? Ehlers isn't even better than Boeser or Nylander in my book and they both lost easily to Aho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad