Confirmed with Link: AHL signings: John McCarthy, Bryan Lerg, Michael Haley, Mark Cundari

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I like McCarthy as an AHLer. He's also a really good vet to have around the younger players.

That signing is HUGE for San Jose in terms of developing some of the new kids coming up. Talking to the younger guys last season when JMac arrived he really made a difference in the dressing room right away. He knew his role and immediately jumped right into it. The team's play (and attitude) after he got hurt was noticeably worse.

People should be excited for this signing because of what he can do for other guys coming up and not worry about him playing much time in the NHL. He'll be an "emergency" guy if he's on the NHL roster at all. This signing is all about prospect development.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Cundari came to Calgary as part of the Bouwmeester deal from St.Louis. Even though he had limited playing time with the Flames, he looked pretty good while playing with the big club. The acquisitions of Russell, Wideman pretty much closed the door on a return to the big club. Im intrigued by this signing.

You nailed it. He always looked decent in his NHL games, and last season I'd say he had a real chance to make the big club out of training camp but wasn't really at the fitness level they wanted him to be. Some people call him Giordano Jr, both from the way he plays and he kinda looks like him:laugh:. The Flames have a logjam at D in the AHL and with this team at the moment it seems that if you haven't made the NHL by 23 (25 for dmen) then we move on (See Max Reinhart trade)

Anyway, sorry to butt in but hope I provided a bit of insight for a lesser known guy.

Oh and here's his first NHL goal (I think it was his first game too?)

Travelling Blue

Jun 16, 2010
Hope you guys don't mind my two cents here. Cundari was my favorite Peoria Riverman player. Very hard nosed, backed away from no one and had play making creativity. He was Adirondacks top D point maker with only 50 games. You got a heart and sole type player, great on and off the ice. If I get a chance I will post some of his goals and thunderous hits. Great pick up!

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
That signing is HUGE for San Jose in terms of developing some of the new kids coming up. Talking to the younger guys last season when JMac arrived he really made a difference in the dressing room right away. He knew his role and immediately jumped right into it. The team's play (and attitude) after he got hurt was noticeably worse.

People should be excited for this signing because of what he can do for other guys coming up and not worry about him playing much time in the NHL. He'll be an "emergency" guy if he's on the NHL roster at all. This signing is all about prospect development.

Yep.

I like them bringing Haley back as well, he's an actual good AHL player who can step up and protect his teammates if he needs to. From what I heard he was a good locker room guy as well.

SJB is going to have quite a few rookies this season and having those kinds of vets around is a really good thing.

WindsorGirl

Sep 10, 2011
Hope you guys don't mind my two cents here. Cundari was my favorite Peoria Riverman player. Very hard nosed, backed away from no one and had play making creativity. He was Adirondacks top D point maker with only 50 games. You got a heart and sole type player, great on and off the ice. If I get a chance I will post some of his goals and thunderous hits. Great pick up!

He also played on the OHL Windsor Spitfires 2 Memorial Cup Championship teams with Bob Boughner as his head coach - maybe he finds his way onto the big club for a few games....

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
IMO Cundari looked real good in his NHL stints with the Flames, hope he can crack the Sharks roster. Fun to watch offensive D-man, has an almost Subban-like swagger to his game (no I'm not saying he's anywhere near as good). I really think with him it's just a matter of getting a real opportunity on an NHL roster and he'll stick.

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA
IMO Cundari looked real good in his NHL stints with the Flames, hope he can crack the Sharks roster. Fun to watch offensive D-man, has an almost Subban-like swagger to his game (no I'm not saying he's anywhere near as good). I really think with him it's just a matter of getting a real opportunity on an NHL roster and he'll stick.

Awesome! That's good to read. Only thing is he shoots left, and the Sharks are pretty loaded on the left side right now. I don't know enough about Cundari to know if he has played on the right, but if he could then he has a way better chance this year.

Edit: Just watched the video above and saw him on the power play on the right. Helluva shot. But I still don't know if he's ever played on the right side outside of the power play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad