AHL roster question

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
I know some teams that come into the league will bring their former players aka Atlanta to Winnipeg... My question is if there was a new team in the league and such where do they find their players mostly... Sign like players from college and unsigned free agents mostly? This is just a research thing that i was looking into..

Lets say Team A was a expansion team aka the 30th team in the NHL where would they get there players from for their AHL team..

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
Generally, when pro sports leagues add an expansion franchise, there is an "expansion draft," where the existing teams are allowed to protect a certain number of players, and other players are left available to be drafted by the expansion team. That forms the nucleus of the new team's roster. Granted, the existing teams protect their best players, so this is not the prime way to build a contender.

In addition, they're often given extra picks in the regular draft, as well. And yes, they do sign a number of free agents to fill things out.

The above is not very specific, I know. The NHL hasn't expanded in about 14 years when Columbus and Minnesota were added, but you might try Googling those franchises and "expansion draft" to learn more about how their rosters--major and minor--were initially stocked.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Most likely a crapload of guys from the 'AA' leagues, NCAA free agents and undrafted CHL players. Not unlike how most AHL teams fill out their rosters, probably just more.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
My question is if there was a new team in the league and such where do they find their players mostly... Sign like players from college and unsigned free agents mostly? This is just a research thing that i was looking into..
Lets say Team A was a expansion team aka the 30th team in the NHL where would they get there players from for their AHL team..

First this is the AHL forum which is way different from the NHL. The AHL will only add franchises when the NHL adds teams. The AHL expansion may take a couple years after NHL does to happen. The majority of an AHL teams roster is filled with NHL teams prospects. The remaining slots are filled with AHL veterans, un-drafted and players that looking for any type contract so they can continue to play.

Been a long time since the last expansion here is a link to what may happen. The new expansion rules haven't been written yet.
http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-expansion-draft-horizon/

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
question... if a NHL team drafts a european or college player what are the rules for them being sent down to AHL... I know any european who plays in OHL, WHL and QMJHL has to wait till 20 but all europeans (playing in europe) or college players is it 18-19 or 19 for both?

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
question... if a NHL team drafts a european or college player what are the rules for them being sent down to AHL... I know any european who plays in OHL, WHL and QMJHL has to wait till 20 but all europeans (playing in europe) or college players is it 18-19 or 19 for both?

It's fuzzy but Rasmus Ristolainen was able to be sent down at 19 to the Amerks this year but no one really ever clarified whether he could or not until it happened. There were people on both sides saying he could go down and others saying he had to go back to TPS.

College players should be able to go straight to the AHL. Zemgus Girgensons went straight to the AHL at 18 out of junior A (USHL) even though he committed to Vermont. Because there's no contracts in college, I don't see what would stop anyone from going to the AHL other than losing NCAA eligibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad