GDT: AHL Playoffs - Albany Devils vs. Toronto Marlies: Game One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The Devils were playing with fire tonight but structurally their defensive game was on point tonight. Wedgewood was as well.

They definitely had to weather the storm the first 10 minutes, but after the goals, they regrouped and didn't give up much to Toronto. Toronto did control the possession, but they had very few scoring chances and were kept to the outside. When they weren't, Wedgewood was there to shut the door. I'm not sure if they will be able to take that risk when the Marlies have Nylander and Soshnikov playing.

Definitely have to hope O'Brien's not seriously hurt, because that will be a big blow.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wedgewood is definitely better than Kinkaid IMO

hopefully we get Wedge up here next year

Well Wedgewood'll probably get the backup job at this point but bear in mind he hasn't played all that well when he's been a backup (and Kinkaid was better last year when he was able to come up after playing regularly in the AHL for a month), it's generally harder to get into a rhythm playing once every three weeks than playing every day.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Boring trap, ruining hockey game from the Devils I see. :sarcasm:

Good win baby Devils. 3 more now.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Severson and Blandisi need to smarter. Good win, nonetheless. Play like the team did tonight and they won't win game two.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Severson and Blandisi need to smarter. Good win, nonetheless. Play like the team did tonight and they won't win game two.

The entire team played a structured defensive game, I don't think it's really fair to point guys out when a lot of guys didn't have much of an impact offensively.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
The entire team played a structured defensive game, I don't think it's really fair to point guys out when a lot of guys didn't have much of an impact offensively.

I thought they gave up too many good chances early on and at times in the second. Tightened up towards the end.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I thought they gave up too many good chances early on and at times in the second. Tightened up towards the end.

They might've given up chances, but no real glorious opportunities. No odd-man rushes, no passes through seams in the defensive zone, etc.

The few chances like the Kapanen wrap-around were definitely mitigated pretty well by the Albany defense taking away their options. The chances they did have were largely predictable and easily read by Wedgewood.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Didn't watch but from reading your comments it sounds like they stole one.
Which is a sign of a good team, win games when you're not at your best.

Hope JOB is back soon, he's a vital cog.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just some impressions:

- Pietila played a very good game

- Helgeson logged a lot of ice time and overall played well

- Zacha looked hesitant

-Every Albany game or highlight reel I see, Lorito is the forward that makes everything happen

-Lappin isn't as skilled as thought he might be. I would put Sislo ahead of him on the RW depth chart.

- Boucher's defensive game has made incredible strides. Even from the beginning of this season.

- I like Ben Thomson more and more every time I see him. He is defensively sound, skates well for his size, willing to answer the bell and I believe that there is untapped skill in there.

Wedgwood was very good but the defense didn't allow many second chances...can't really remember one second chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad