AHL Players that could be getting NHL time on a different team

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Just curious what you all think of your teams prospect pool compared to your NHL team; and if you see any of your AHL players possibly getting ice time with a different NHL team.

Ex. Bruins are fairly strong at NHL level centers, so players in Providence may not get as many chances as a team weaker at center. I think a kid like Zach Hamill would have more NHL opportunities in a different system. Another example on the opposite side of the equation; our acquisition of Steven Kampfer, who was behind many other defenseman in Anaheim, comes to Boston, and quickly moves his way up the depth chart.

What do you think about your teams AHL level prospects fitting into your system?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Sergei Shirokov for the Canucks. He's not a guy who's absolutely lighting it up in the AHL - 33 points in 39 games - but hes got a lot of skill and is the type of player that a different team in a different situation would have on their roster.

He scored a nice goal in his first game this year - and his 7th career game - and was promptly sent back down to the farm after only two games with the big club. He'd be playing in the NHL right now on many other teams and I wish my team would give him a better shot. He'd add even more skill and secondary scoring to the lineup.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Hodgson would be in the NHL last year if he wasn't on the Canucks, Red Wings, or Flyers.

Schroeder is tough to say, a lot of teams would probably stick him in the AHL to get used to the physicality but I think he could make some rebuilding teams.

Tanev, who has been called up, is excellent and could easily slot into any bottom pairing with the way he's been playing.

Of course, any team that needs some scoring could use Shirokov.

Darius Dangleaitis

Padowan Kovalchuk
Jul 31, 2006
Morristown, NJ
Jacob Josefson got some time in New Jersey earlier in the year before getting hurt. Now, he's down in Albany lighting it up since being activated (10 points in 10 games).

Lou said he won't be up unless there's a spot in New Jersey for him at center, which there isn't currently.

A center-deprived team might be able to use him (although I think we'll hold onto him, thanks:D).

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Jacob Josefson got some time in New Jersey earlier in the year before getting hurt. Now, he's down in Albany lighting it up since being activated (10 points in 10 games).

Lou said he won't be up unless there's a spot in New Jersey for him at center, which there isn't currently.

A center-deprived team might be able to use him (although I think we'll hold onto him, thanks:D).

I'm curious, what's Josefson's ultimate potential? When he was drafted I heard he was pegged to be a good checking line centre in the NHL but lately I'm hearing he has way too much skill for that type of role.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dustin Jeffrey is up with the Pens now with Crosby and Malkin out, but he would've been up sooner elsewhere. He's thrived in the AHL in every role he's been put in, being not only Wilkes-Barre's leading scorer and main offensive threat, but also one of the main PKers and a consistant shorthanded scoring threat.

He's pretty much done all he can do down there, but the Pens' center depth is crazy.

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
I'm curious, what's Josefson's ultimate potential? When he was drafted I heard he was pegged to be a good checking line centre in the NHL but lately I'm hearing he has way too much skill for that type of role.

His ceiling is two-way 2nd line center. He's good defensively and a skilled passer. He was compared to be a mix of Henrik Zetterberg and PJ Axelsson before his draft.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Jonas Holos would definately get time on a different team...Hes a fairly solid D-man who would be even better with playing time...But Sacco seems to have some issue with him and liked to bench him for no reason at all, and prefers to play Hunwick if possible, and now Cumiskey is back, so that really leaves him out.

Greg Mauldin is already a solid player who would thrive on a team where he could get playing time, especially if it was in a top 6 role, but the Avs have way too many forwards up (especially if Forsberg does return) so he wont be cracking the lineup agian for awhile.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Arnott will probably be a deadline deal rental and Josefson will be with the big club soon after

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Nashville has a huge defensive depth, guys like Blum and Josi would fit very well on a lot of NHL rosters..

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Zach Boychuk
Zac Dalpe

Both have been at a PPG in the AHL and both would be on the NHL squad if they didn't have undeserving/overpaid vets in front of them.

Jerome Samson seems like a guy who could at least be a bottom 6er in the NHL. He's a top line player in the AHL as a 23 year old and has been one for a couple of seasons now but he hasn't ever got a fair shot for whatever reason. He would be a great energy guy even if his offense never transfered to the NHL.

Drayson Bowman and Oskar Osala could be on some NHL bottom 6s too, IMO.

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC
Brendon Nash and Brett Festerling on a team with worse defense.
Benjamin Maxwell looked NHL ready in pre-season, but just doesn't fit anywhere.
Curtis Sanford would probably still be a capable back-up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sergei Shirokov for the Canucks. He's not a guy who's absolutely lighting it up in the AHL - 33 points in 39 games - but hes got a lot of skill and is the type of player that a different team in a different situation would have on their roster.

He scored a nice goal in his first game this year - and his 7th career game - and was promptly sent back down to the farm after only two games with the big club. He'd be playing in the NHL right now on many other teams and I wish my team would give him a better shot. He'd add even more skill and secondary scoring to the lineup.

yeah. Shirokov is definitely the first guy that comes to mind.

he could be a solid 2nd line regular on a lot of teams. would add a lot of skill to a 2nd line somewhere that has more physicality and size there, and a bit of a shortage on skill.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Brendon Nash and Brett Festerling on a team with worse defense.
Benjamin Maxwell looked NHL ready in pre-season, but just doesn't fit anywhere.
Curtis Sanford would probably still be a capable back-up.

There's already two AHL'ers on the roster at defense, so I don't think Nash or Festerling deserves a mention.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Mark Mancari
Michal Repik
Tim Kennedy
Jonathon Blum
Luke Adam
Fabian Brunnstrom
Ryan Potulny

I think all these guys would crack bottom feeders 4th lines or 7th dman.

If Maxime Sauve could stay healthy I'd say him too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad