News Article: AHL Phantoms goalie makes 94 saves

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Goalie Alex Lyon makes 94 saves in helping team win longest game in AHL history

The Lehigh Valley Phantoms and Charlotte Checkers played the longest game in American Hockey League history on Wednesday night, so it was appropriate that there was a historic performance to go along with it.

Phantoms goalie Alex Lyon obliterated the team record with 94 saves in a 2-1 quintuple-overtime win in Game 4 of the Calder Cup playoff series between the AHL affiliates of the Philadelphia Flyers and Carolina Hurricanes.

The five-overtime win saw 86:48 played in extra time, making it the longest game in AHL history. The Phantoms took a 3-1 lead in the second-round series as Alex Krushelnyski provided the game-winner.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
So he made more saves in one game than Elliot did in six games against Pittsburgh? ;)

Any goaltending hope on the horizon has to be welcome news to Flyers fans.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Is that Mike Krushelnyski's son? You guys thought the Seguin deal reaction was bad, you should have seen me when I heard that Krushelnyski got traded....second most curse words I ever said in one minute....first most was when I heard they traded Fergus for Derlago.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Is that Mike Krushelnyski's son? You guys thought the Seguin deal reaction was bad, you should have seen me when I heard that Krushelnyski got traded....second most curse words I ever said in one minute....first most was when I heard they traded Fergus for Derlago.
According to Wikipedia, yes, Alex is Mike's son.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

I believe Sinden said Tom Fergus was the only player he traded out of anger, as Fergus said something about not caring if he wore a Bruins uniform again. He had a hell of a wrist shot. Bill Derlago, good heavens...

Greatest Hockey Legends.com: Tom Fergus

Reactions: LouJersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad