AHL Live

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
Your better off with season tickets cost wise and quality of video is awful.

wingsfan09

Jun 21, 2014
I would but living 40 min away in the dead of winter is not great. When I would have extra tickets I'd try to give them away for free but no one would want them. The price also went up when I got my renewal for this upcoming season. Maybe just listening on the radio will be my best bet.

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
Don't they have flex packs because I also live about 40 miles away and can't make all 38 but I do get the 22 pack.

wingsfan09

Jun 21, 2014
Yes. They have 10 and 20 game plans. Thinking just listening on the radio might good and cheaper than anything also.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Quality varies arena to arena. If you are a Griffins fan the quality should be pretty decent IIRC.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I had it last year too and agree with AF the video quality varies from arena to arena. I actually thought the video quality was better using their Android app on my phone or tablet than streaming on the computer. The app is meant for a smaller screen size and the quality was fine for me. I think it is overpriced but I was still glad that I ordered it.

MattyB101

Mar 9, 2014
Rochester NY
Does anyone know when they typically start posting their packages? The site right now looks like it's been abandoned since the Calder Cup finals. I'd think they'd be trying to sell the new season already, but what do I know?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Does anyone know when they typically start posting their packages? The site right now looks like it's been abandoned since the Calder Cup finals. I'd think they'd be trying to sell the new season already, but what do I know?

Last season they had a real good early bird special in June during the Calder Cup finals and that is when I signed up. Then if I remember correctly they ran another discounted promotion in September. This year I haven't seen anything.

MattyB101

Mar 9, 2014
Rochester NY
Thanks for the info. I wonder if something is going on - it's very strange AHLLive isn't doing any marketing what-so-ever for the new season, and it's only a month away. Not even a "coming soon" banner.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I agreed with the others. The quality varies from arena to arena. Places like Bridgeport were very good. But, places like Manchester weren't so hot. Which was very unfortunate for me. I'm hoping Ontario has a great quality! :laugh:

As for the app. I also thought the picture looked a lot better on the smaller devices compared to a computer. The one major downside was that you weren't able to choose which teams radio feed you would listen to for the play by play. You were stuck with the home team's feed. When you watch it on the computer, you're able to choose either team's radio broadcast.

It really comes down to how much you want to see the game, and how much money you're willing to pay. I think I payed $150 for the Monarchs team pass last season. But, I'm die-hard Kings fan, and I live in Connecticut. So, it was worth it for me. But, the quality doesn't match the price you pay. I just end up doing it because I'm crazy! lol

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
Your better off getting the NHL Center Ice it's the same price for the entire league as it is for one team.

wingsfan09

Jun 21, 2014
Last season they had a real good early bird special in June during the Calder Cup finals and that is when I signed up. Then if I remember correctly they ran another discounted promotion in September. This year I haven't seen anything.

I'm thinking it will probably be the last week of September.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
There's usually nothing much till the end of Sept.

The quality is great in some arenas like Bridgeport but some others aren't so good. Bridgeport looks like it's full HD. Some only have 1 camera, some have no clock or score showing, etc.

The most annoying is Hershey and Hartford where they have stupid animations or ads for gas stations on the screen while the game is being played.

wingsfan09

Jun 21, 2014
I had it last year too and agree with AF the video quality varies from arena to arena. I actually thought the video quality was better using their Android app on my phone or tablet than streaming on the computer. The app is meant for a smaller screen size and the quality was fine for me. I think it is overpriced but I was still glad that I ordered it.

I ordered it last night and logged in on my iPad and the app closes. I try to get back in and it closes again. The funny thing is it worked all summer. I watched some highlights of games to see how it was working and it worked fine. I pay and log in and the app closes so I don't know.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There's usually nothing much till the end of Sept.

The quality is great in some arenas like Bridgeport but some others aren't so good. Bridgeport looks like it's full HD. Some only have 1 camera, some have no clock or score showing, etc.

The most annoying is Hershey and Hartford where they have stupid animations or ads for gas stations on the screen while the game is being played.
Many in the west are like that too, it's just the in rinks scoreboard feeds since they don't have TV deals. I was trying to track faceoffs for the Heat at one point but I missed half the faceoffs because of the feeds.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Does anyone know how the AHL Live works for the playoffs? I see you can purchase your team pass for $45, but that only guarantees the first 2 rounds. Do you then have to pay a single game fee of $10 to continue watching? Also, can you watch on a tape delay (like an hour or two) without being told the score? I'm in the west and the games will start while I'm still at work.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Does anyone know how the AHL Live works for the playoffs? I see you can purchase your team pass for $45, but that only guarantees the first 2 rounds. Do you then have to pay a single game fee of $10 to continue watching? Also, can you watch on a tape delay (like an hour or two) without being told the score? I'm in the west and the games will start while I'm still at work.

I believe they charge by the round after the 2nd round. I know that the Calder Cup final has been offered for free in the past.

Yes, you can watch taped delayed games wihtout knowing the score. There's a button to turn off scores. Although keep in my mind, that if the game is still going on live, it will bring you right to live action. So you may have to get creative to make sure you don't find out about games you're "taping".

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I believe they charge by the round after the 2nd round. I know that the Calder Cup final has been offered for free in the past.

Yes, you can watch taped delayed games wihtout knowing the score. There's a button to turn off scores. Although keep in my mind, that if the game is still going on live, it will bring you right to live action. So you may have to get creative to make sure you don't find out about games you're "taping".

OK, thanks for the answer. When the game comes up live, is there a "start at beginning" button, or something?

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Unreal that in 2015, the AHL can't set a standard on stream quality, number of cameras and closed captioning of basic info (score, game time/period)... Bush bush bush league.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Unreal that in 2015, the AHL can't set a standard on stream quality, number of cameras and closed captioning of basic info (score, game time/period)... Bush bush bush league.

With some kind of nice mount or tripod, I am almost postive I could produce a higher quality feed with my cellphone and an app like ustream.
It would also not have 90's quality CGI mascot animations played over the top of breakaways.
Any investors? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad