AHL Laval Team [upd: name will be Rocket de Laval]

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Marlboros

The Marlboros were owned a Junior team owned by the Leafs for roughly 60 years. They were nicknamed the Marlies. They had the same Maple Leaf logo for all those years - one still worn by the Toronto Marlboros (formerly Marlboroughs) Hockey Club that has produced such fine NHLers as John Tavares and Connor McDavid.

See image below:

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/hockey-now/Images/Articles/May17_GTHLalumni.png

And this image to see the long history:

http://hockeygods.com/images/13049-Toronto_Marlboros___Memorial_Cup_Champions_1973

Did you even bother to look at the photos before posting that comment?

The Marlboros have had a Maple Leaf with a crown in it as their logo for over half a century. 60 years of having a blue or white maple leaf as their logo. Is 60 years not enough for you to consider the Marlboro to be associated with a Maple Leaf?

But I thought your claim was that the AHL team in Toronto is called "Marlies" because it is inspired by the name of the NHL team "Maple Leafs". No one is denying the two teams are linked, or that Marlies isn't a name that was used for hockey teams in Toronto in the past, or that previous Marlies teams had a maple leaf as their logo (a common enough logo in Canada). What we are saying is that Marlies is not related to Maple Leafs in the same way that Bruins is related to Bruins or Penguins is related to Baby Pens, or Kings/Reign, where the AHL team is named after the NHL team instead of having a name that relates to the local community. Marlies is just like Americans or Bears or Admirals, a local name from the city where the AHL team is located. It just happens to be that the team is in the city where the NHL team is located, so "Marlies" is connected to the city of Toronto, but it doesn't mean "Maple Leaf".

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
But I thought your claim was that the AHL team in Toronto is called "Marlies" because it is inspired by the name of the NHL team "Maple Leafs".

The original comment I was responding to said this ...

"So, exactly how many AHL teams do you think have a related name to their NHL affiliate?"

So, I have been arguing "related to" ... not "inspired by" or "the same as" ...

Is the nickname Marlboros / Marlies "related to" Maple Leafs? Well, 60 years of using the identical jerseys and logo as the Maple Leafs would suggest yes. That has been my point.

But I thought your claim was that the AHL team in No one is denying the two teams are linked, or that Marlies isn't a name that was used for hockey teams in Toronto in the past, or that previous Marlies teams had a maple leaf as their logo (a common enough logo in Canada).

I think you'd be surprised at how few hockey teams use a maple leaf as their logo ...

There are 52 Major Junior teams based in Canada ... not a single one has a maple leaf as their logo.
There are 126 Jr. A teams in Canada. Only 2 ... the Penticton Vees and the Markham Royals ... have a maple leaf as the basis for their logo. Of those 2, only the Royals share the Maple Leafs' colour scheme.

So, 2 teams out of 178 at the Jr. A and Major Junior level. Not exactly a common logo.

Point being, for anyone familiar with the history of hockey in Canada, and Toronto in particular, the nickname Marlboros / Marlies is strongly associated with Maple Leafs.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
A huge stretch, IMO...

Are you being serious? I certainly hope not.

Do a bit of reading on Maurice Richard - the most revered Montreal Canadien of all-time.

There already was a QMJHL team named in his honor - the Montreal Rocket (later PEI Rocket).

So, nothing could be further from the truth than calling it a stretch. The Laval Rocket is named in honor of Maurice "Rocket" Richard.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Not really the same kind of birds unlike Sharks and Baracuda are a little more related than Ducks and Gulls

Sharks and Barracudas are different types of carnivorous fish just like Gulls and Ducks are different types of water birds.

Last edited:

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
The Ducks simply resurrected a formerly established brand that they didn't historically have any tie to. This is the same as the Coyotes/Roadrunners naming.

And that's what makes it so great, Gulls have a long history in San Diego and it's also a type of water bird which relates to the Ducks. Roadrunners has a long history in Arizona and it relates to the Coyotes through the world famous looney tunes cartoons.

Both the Gulls and Roadrunners names should easily be considered related to their NHL clubs.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Are you being serious? I certainly hope not.

Do a bit of reading on Maurice Richard - the most revered Montreal Canadien of all-time.

There already was a QMJHL team named in his honor - the Montreal Rocket (later PEI Rocket).

So, nothing could be further from the truth than calling it a stretch. The Laval Rocket is named in honor of Maurice "Rocket" Richard.

I've been following hockey since before you were born. I know who Maurice Richard is. It never dawned on me that there would be a connection between the team's nickname and him.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I've been following hockey since before you were born. I know who Maurice Richard is. It never dawned on me that there would be a connection between the team's nickname and him.

If you've been following hockey for so long, you really should have known about the Montreal / PEI Rocket QMJHL team that lasted for 14 seasons. The logo was a 9 with a rocket going through it. Pretty hard to miss the connection there.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
If you've been following hockey for so long, you really should have known about the Montreal / PEI Rocket QMJHL team that lasted for 14 seasons. The logo was a 9 with a rocket going through it. Pretty hard to miss the connection there.

I don't follow Canadian Juniors at all...nor do I follow junior hockey in the US either.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
This whole "named after the NHL team" debate seems to be a case of people looking at the issue from different perspectives. Many people view naming an AHL team after the NHL team as a negative. For example: Worcester Sharks. There were traditional local hockey names that could have been used, or they could have gone with a new name that was related to the local area, but they didn't they used Sharks because that is the name of the NHL team they were affiliated with at the time. I took the original post to be a complaint about this type of naming. Maybe it wasn't? Hard to judge tone sometimes.

The other end of the spectrum would be a completely local name that doesn't relate to the current NHL team at all, like Hershey Bears or Rochester Americans. A lot of fans think these are "better" names. I would include Marlies in this category. Slap an English Duke, or a fish, or cigarette logo on the jersey, or relocate them to Marlboro Mass with a wordmark logo and "Marlies" could be affiliated with any NHL team.

In some cases a team is named due to a local tradition or connection, that also has some connection to the NHL team too. However, the name is different enough that another NHL parent organization could be affiliated with that team and it would still make sense. This is the case with the Roadrunners, Gulls, and Barracuda.

Names that reference the parent without being named the same as the parent are also OK with me. Reign, (Monarchs), Heat, and now Rockets. Even though the name was chosen to refer to the parent organization, it is still generic enough to be used by other organizations or in other sports. The ECHL Royals have been affiliated with the Maple Leafs/Marlies, Bruins, Caps/Bears and Flyers/Phantoms without changing names, even though they were named "Royals" in reference to the Kings.

I think it is OK to name your AHL team the same as the parent team when the team is in a suburb, or a city that connects to the parent team city. Providence Bruins are a good example. It is close enough to Boston that most people in Providence are likely Bruins fans, and they can watch the NHL Bruins on their local TV station to follow the local players who move up. Texas Stars too. Wikes-Barre Penguins a little less so, but not bad. They are in the same state at least, even though Wilkes-Barre is closer to Philly, NY, and NJ than to Pittsburgh, so before the AHL came to town there were probably more Flyers/Devils/Rangers fans than Pens fans there

Naming your team the same as the NHL parent when the local area doesn't have a connection to the team or the name, and the parent team is far away and almost never on local TV is more boring and unoriginal. I think the only current examples are Albany Devils, Binghamton Senators, and Iowa Wild. This actually seems to be a dying trend, with most recent name changes going away from this type of name.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
This whole "named after the NHL team" debate seems to be a case of people looking at the issue from different perspectives. Many people view naming an AHL team after the NHL team as a negative. For example: Worcester Sharks. There were traditional local hockey names that could have been used, or they could have gone with a new name that was related to the local area, but they didn't they used Sharks because that is the name of the NHL team they were affiliated with at the time. I took the original post to be a complaint about this type of naming. Maybe it wasn't? Hard to judge tone sometimes.

The other end of the spectrum would be a completely local name that doesn't relate to the current NHL team at all, like Hershey Bears or Rochester Americans. A lot of fans think these are "better" names. I would include Marlies in this category. Slap an English Duke, or a fish, or cigarette logo on the jersey, or relocate them to Marlboro Mass with a wordmark logo and "Marlies" could be affiliated with any NHL team.

In some cases a team is named due to a local tradition or connection, that also has some connection to the NHL team too. However, the name is different enough that another NHL parent organization could be affiliated with that team and it would still make sense. This is the case with the Roadrunners, Gulls, and Barracuda.

Names that reference the parent without being named the same as the parent are also OK with me. Reign, (Monarchs), Heat, and now Rockets. Even though the name was chosen to refer to the parent organization, it is still generic enough to be used by other organizations or in other sports. The ECHL Royals have been affiliated with the Maple Leafs/Marlies, Bruins, Caps/Bears and Flyers/Phantoms without changing names, even though they were named "Royals" in reference to the Kings.

I think it is OK to name your AHL team the same as the parent team when the team is in a suburb, or a city that connects to the parent team city. Providence Bruins are a good example. It is close enough to Boston that most people in Providence are likely Bruins fans, and they can watch the NHL Bruins on their local TV station to follow the local players who move up. Texas Stars too. Wikes-Barre Penguins a little less so, but not bad. They are in the same state at least, even though Wilkes-Barre is closer to Philly, NY, and NJ than to Pittsburgh, so before the AHL came to town there were probably more Flyers/Devils/Rangers fans than Pens fans there

Naming your team the same as the NHL parent when the local area doesn't have a connection to the team or the name, and the parent team is far away and almost never on local TV is more boring and unoriginal. I think the only current examples are Albany Devils, Binghamton Senators, and Iowa Wild. This actually seems to be a dying trend, with most recent name changes going away from this type of name.

I don't mind AHL team name being related to the NHL affiliate if the name of the AHL team make since like Reign, or heat. Except for the Roadrunners the Coyotes franshise was enough of a joke with out this. But its the one who have the same name as their NHL team thats were i really have a problem with, its lazy and not creative at all

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Both the Gulls and Roadrunners names should easily be considered related to their NHL clubs.

Related? Maybe. But let's acknowledge that the AHL team names have existed as long or longer time in minor league hockey than their parent clubs have been in existence.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
So? If you gave me a million bucks to name 5 Canadian junior teams I probably couldn't do it. I literally don't follow them at all.

Your blog articles from when you covered the Worcester Icecats and Sharks where you covered rookie player profiles beg to differ.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Really? Show me one.

Well There's this for starters...

http://www.sharkspage.com/?p=5885

Defenseman Konrad Abeltshauser, who played for the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL, is coming off his best season in juniors but rumors coming from the local media in Halifax are hinting that San Jose may assign him back to the Mooseheads for an over-age year. Doing so burns a year off his entry level contract, so the Sharks will have to be certain it’s the right thing to do for his development. Goaltender J. P. Anderson rounds out the junior group, and if he’s not returned to Sarnia Sting of the OHL for an over-age year of his own he’s likely headed to San Jose’s ECHL affiliate.

Well there's two mentioned there, the Sarnia Sting and the Halifax Mooseheads. You also reference the Niagra Icedogs in this article too so it shouldn't be too hard finding another article of yours with two junior teams to make up the five you claimed you couldn't name.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
All of those things are taken directly off player profiles on sites like Hockey Future, Elite Prospects, and Hockeydb, or have come from press releases and/or Sharks media guides. Copying team names is a far cry from following what goes on in a league.

I'll guarantee I've tweeted lots of team names former WorSharks have signed with from the pro league in England or DEL2, but I couldn't name five teams in either of those leagues either.

I cannot make this statement any clearer: I do not follow junior level hockey at all, and I could not come up with a list of five teams (other than the ones you've just mentioned, because now I'll remember them for a short while) that play at that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad