Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Laval Rocket 6 - 4 Utica Comets: The Guys Who We Expected to Step Up, Stepped Up

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
wow what an offensive explosion by Laval, season high 6 goals, but they could easily have had a couple more at the end there.

Great to this,

Barber - 1g 2a
Evans - 1g 1a
McCarron - 1g 1a

plus Poehling with a much better game. If they can get all these guys going it would be huge.

Then add in Brook, 1 g, +3 tonight. In his last 7 games he's got 2 goals, +2, 12 shots he had 11 shots, -6 in his previous 13 games.

also some nice screens by Weise and Alain that resulted in 2 goals.

Poehling and Brook with two consecutive good games. Both rewarded tonight. But more importantly, they were very good.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Evans starting to heat up is really big for the team, he was one of the MVPs of last season and he can really carry a line on his back with his 2-way game when he's on.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Translation:

Q: Tonight must've been a satisfying night. Despite the end when they got a few goals, it was pretty much a dominating performance.

A: Yes, we had some really good moments. But we did have difficult ones. But against a team like Utica, who works really hard, that will happen. We executed some nice plays. We got a lot of scoring chances and we were finally able to score on a lot of them. As a coach, you always see little plays here and there to adjust. We'll take the win. I feel like this has been a good week so far. But I believe we can be even better in certain aspects of our game.

Q: I would have liked to get comments from Barber. I'm told his voice is gone at the moment. He had a great game tonight.

A: We usually hear him a lot on the bench. I was able to get a word out of him, but it was to tell me he has no voice. But we played a good game. He finally scored. It was a question of when because he was getting his chances. I was really happy for him and Evans, who both struggled to find the back of the net, but it wasn't for lack of trying. We score 6 goals and I'm happy that guys are able to produce. We'll let the guys go with that and see what we will do tomorrow.

Q: I would like to talk about the Alzner and Brook pairing. I find that Brook is gaining in confidence and has been more willing to jump on the rush. Brook told me that Alzner is a good partner for him. He recognizes certain game situations and that allows Brook to jump ahead.

A: Karl is a good partner for anyone. He is obviously someone with a lot of experience. He plays the right way. When Alzner moves his feet and is more implicated defensively, he's a key piece to our defense. And having Brook next to Karl, it's a chance for Josh to see and manage the game the way a veteran like Alzner does. The key is to manage the game and know when to do what and sometimes it's adjusting to what the opposition is doing. But it's true that Brook has gained in confidence. We have a plan and they do form a good pair.

Q: With Ouellet out of the line-up for a while, you're forced to look to other players for the PP. Leskinen took a nice shot tonight. We see Olofsson a lot more often. You even tried Brook tonight. Is it an adjustment period for you, trying different experiments?

A: It's a difficult ask. We have two rookie defensemen on the PP against more experienced players on the other side. It's pressure for them to create chances. With Ouellet's absence, it's an opportunity for them. It's an extra load of work for them and an extra load of pressure. We're tried to distribute it evenly. We talk a lot with them. They make good plays and they also make mistakes. It may be easier for Xavier due to his experience. But we have to try the others and give them the chance.

Q: It started getting a little more physical in the end. Some signs of frustrations. Do you expect it to carry over to tomorrow or do you think it will be just another hockey game?

A: It's a team that works hard so I'm expecting a physical game tomorrow. I expect the other team will come out strong. Usually on a back-to-back against the same team, especially if they lost the first game, they come out hard the next game. It wouldn't surprise me if at tomorrow's press conference I tell you that other team came to play. And that is my job as the coach to get the guys ready to start off on the right foot. To keep it a tight game. Tomorrow's game, for me, needs to be a tight game and not like tonight's game.

Q: Tonight you scored 6. Tomorrow is the Teddy Bear Toss, you have to make sure you keep some goals for tomorrow.

A: Definitely. Tomorrow, we have to do it the right way.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad