Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Laval @ Cleveland: Another Big Win! The Pocket Rocket Wins it 5-1!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
AHL games are much more entertaining than the big club's
They hustle hard and play a full 60 indeed, even when they lose
Im starting to think that maybe Claude is not the coach we need
Its rare that I feel any urgency in the Habs style of play ever, most glaringly on the PK

@cphabs you may be right

I'd like Bouchard to coach Laval for one or two more years. He's great for the prospects, and who knows it might be great for him to watch full development cycles.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Alain with a 6-game point streak.
Veilleux with 8 pts in his last 8 games.
Lynch with 8 pts in his last 7 games.

Olofsson with a 3-game point streak (4 pts)
Lucchini with 4 pts in his last 4 games.
Jevpalovs with 7 pts in his last 5 games.

Primeau with 4 wins in his last 5 games. Only one game was he below .900 SV%. He was a .935 one game and then .960 and over in the other three.

McNiven with 3 wins in his 3 starts. He was a .886 SV% in his first game (still a win). He was .933 in his second game and was a .952 tonight.

When we ask for guys to step up and answer the bell when key players aren't in the line-up, this is exactly what we mean.
This is nice, but that seems unsustainable. They need some reinforcement, soon.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's interesting how the team has gotten better after getting rid of some of the "better" players also... I really hope they get in it will be a real positive for the organization.

they are working harder and the goaltending is much better now that Kinkaid isn't giving up 4 or 5 goals. But the skill isn't there and we'll see how that impacts them going forward when their schedule gets very tough for the next 9+ games.

Alain with a 6-game point streak.
Veilleux with 8 pts in his last 8 games.
Lynch with 8 pts in his last 7 games.

Olofsson with a 3-game point streak (4 pts)
Lucchini with 4 pts in his last 4 games.
Jevpalovs with 7 pts in his last 5 games.

Primeau with 4 wins in his last 5 games. Only one game was he below .900 SV%. He was a .935 one game and then .960 and over in the other three.

McNiven with 3 wins in his 3 starts. He was a .886 SV% in his first game (still a win). He was .933 in his second game and was a .952 tonight.

When we ask for guys to step up and answer the bell when key players aren't in the line-up, this is exactly what we mean.

it's been great to see, we'll see if they can keep it up though with such huge games vs the Devils and others. One thing I said a few weeks back was how badly they needed more cosistent goaltending and they have finally gotten it. That was a bold move by Bouchard to sit Primeau who has been great when it's a must win game. But he knows that he can't have Primeau play every game so he gambled and won as McNiven has looked so much better tonight and his previous game then he did in his first game.

I'd like Bouchard to coach Laval for one or two more years. He's great for the prospects, and who knows it might be great for him to watch full development cycles.

I said it at time time that Guy Boucher left Hamilton that he was making a mistake and should stay for more then just 1 year to learn the ropes. Granted I had no idea that he would struggle in the NHL, just that he was 1 year removed from coaching in the Q and some more experience in the AHL would be good for him. So I'm glad Bouchard is here for year 2 and hope he stays there for a while.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

And honestly, while I'm sure Bouchard's goal is to coach in the NHL. He does seem to really relish his role as the one running the show in Laval. MB is the GM, but we'd be fools if we didn't think Bouchard had a say in acquisitions and trades. So Bouchard is probably more suited for being the main guy in the minors.

Not to mention, he is really passionate about development. And more than just running and coaching a junior team for many years. But he has hockey schools and camps for kids.

Also, since last year, he's talked about how the organization is trying to build a new development program. So I think Bouchard is here to make sure it gets its feet right under it before possibly handing the reigns over to the next guy while he moves on to a higher spot.

Just my guess.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No. Nobody said anything yet. I imagine Bouchard will be asked about it after the game.

Kotkaniemi se blesse face aux Monsters - TVA Sports

The video shows there were two hits on the play. One at the beginning and one at the end of the clip.

I still said he should have been sent to Junior this year to play against players his own size and age. There was no rush. It worked well for Suzuki last year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is nice, but that seems unsustainable. They need some reinforcement, soon.

it's likely not but getting Kotka, Ylonen, Poehling and Fleury back would be a start. Fleury was terrible when he came back down but was just starting to play more mistake free hockey. He gets hurt and Culkin comes in and he's on the ice for every one of the monsters goals in these 2 games. Plus he helps with the PP.

But they badly need Hudon or Evans, Ouellett or Alzner or all 4 would be the best news. As they have the sens next game and then likely the 2 biggest games of the year vs the devils who hold the 4th playoff spot and just happen to be the hottest team with providence at 9-1 in their last 10.

Reactions: DAChampion

Jul 6, 2016
No. Nobody said anything yet. I imagine Bouchard will be asked about it after the game.

Brett Gallant, a former (and still) goon hit KK twice, the last time from behind over the board while KK was returning to the bench.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I said it at time time that Guy Boucher left Hamilton that he was making a mistake and should stay for more then just 1 year to learn the ropes. Granted I had no idea that he would struggle in the NHL, just that he was 1 year removed from coaching in the Q and some more experience in the AHL would be good for him. So I'm glad Bouchard is here for year 2 and hope he stays there for a while.

I can agree with this and it feels like he missed some seasoning when you hear him talk about coaching, he lets vets run all over him and can't hold a room together, he's a good coach and a good head of hockey, heck, he's also a really intelligent person, but its clear as day as to why he can't stay more than a year in the NHL without struggling back, he hasn't learned to lead his boys and be the man.

Thats probably the only thing that Michel Therrien could do, be his own man.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Brett Gallant, a former (and still) goon hit KK twice, the last time from behind over the board while KK was returning to the bench.

Yea. I know, I saw the play. But we don't know if it's serious or if they just kept him out as a precaution.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

The video shows there were two hits on the play. One at the beginning and one at the end of the clip.

I still said he should have been sent to Junior this year to play against players his own size and age. There was no rush. It worked well for Suzuki last year.

No team drafted him in the import draft, so he is not CHL-eligible. It was always Liiga, AHL or NHL for him. In all cases playing vs men unless you wanted him in junior in Finland which would have been a waste of time.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No team drafted him in the import draft, so he is not CHL-eligible. It was always Liiga, AHL or NHL for him. In all cases playing vs men unless you wanted him in junior in Finland which would have been a waste of time.

Interesting. Hadn't had this conversation before..

CHL would have been best. But no way to know this coming into this year.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
:banana::banana::banana:

Just finished watching the game.

Dauphin and Blandisi know how to hockey.

My edgework is almost as good as Kotkaniemi's and my wife taught me to skate two years ago.

McNiven gets another win. He was good tonight.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
This is why I say a lot of fans here don't know what they are talking about. For years I was told how wrong I was about Lefebvre, how I was a "hater" and worse. I had fans give me all the excuses, he didn't have anyone to work with, etc.. (despite having the best player in the league, the former defensemen of the year, good goalies outside one year, etc...

You want to see having nothing to work with, look at the roster he had in the 2nd half last year, what he has had to work with in the 2nd half this year. If Kotka didn't get sent down these threads wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it's been me, Adam and a few other posters that have been posting in these gdt's night in and night out. I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with that but it was always funny to me when I would have posters tell me how wrong I am about the games I am watching and they clearly aren't. Not that I couldn't have been wrong but their excuses just didn't make sense.
We appreciate your feedback!

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
A team is never as good as their winning streak, nor as bad as a loosing streak, so I reserve my judgment of Bouchard. But the decision to purge the team of disgruntled vets might prove to be just the thing needed to unleash this team's potential.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

The last hit was a cheap one. Trying to throw someone over the boards is soooo 1970's. Someone should have went after this goon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad