AHL changes schedule to reduce player fatigue

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.tsn.ca/ahl/story/?id=362096

Starting next season, the AHL will be reducing schedule length from 80 to 76 games, eliminating "4 games in 5 days" (i.e., Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun), expanding season by a week, shortening first round to a best of 5.

"As our league has grown and our game has become faster and more physical, the wear and tear on our players has begun to affect player development and at times the quality of competition," AHL president David Andrews said Wednesday in a statement. "These steps are intended to provide a safer environment for our players through increased rest and recovery time, and also to provide our fans with an even higher calibre of play as a result of reduced player fatigue."

You have to think that the NHL may want to rethink it's scheduling of 3 games in 4 days that often occur in light of this.

(If you play every team in the other conference twice 30g, plus other two divisions twice 20g and in the division six times 24g, that could reduce the season to 74 games. Hmmmm. Wonder if the union and league would go for it.)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
someone leaked this last week i think. I'll try to find the link.

edit: the leak was taken down apparently.

anyways, talking to some b-sens fans they dont seem to mind the shorter season, but think the playoff change is stupid.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad