AHL All Star game ... Hoffman ...

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Hoffman has earned the right for another chance in Ottawa with playing time that matches his role. Would hate to see the Sens unload him, only to watch him rise to his capabilities in another organization.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Stone is like Heatley...without the shot, is a worse skater, and is slower to make decisions.

Hoffman deserves a shot. I really wish that they handled prospects and young players a little differently. 8 minutes a night with Chris Neil is not how an offensive player is going to make his mark in the NHL -- look at the change in Da Costa as soon as he was put with Conacher and Condra (even with limited ice-time).

Hoffman looked good to me when he was up this year, but apparently not good enough to MacLean.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Its impossible here for people to praise one prospect without trying to beat down another

I like Stone and Hoffman both - they are different players, have different skillsets, age, etc.
They will both get some chances and hopefully can figure it out - we need a bit of patience.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Its impossible here for people to praise one prospect without trying to beat down another

I like Stone and Hoffman both - they are different players, have different skillsets, age, etc.
They will both get some chances and hopefully can figure it out - we need a bit of patience.

Said it before, but I'd really like to see a Hoffman - Pageau/DaCosta - Stone line together and left alone.

We are deep at LW prospects (hence the availability of Silverberg when Ryan came over). We need at least one more RW. Lazar? Prince? - who prefers LW I think.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If Hoffman puts on some muscle, he could replace macarthur. If macarthur puts up points again next year and we are having another bad year, he can get us a huge return

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Said it before, but I'd really like to see a Hoffman - Pageau/DaCosta - Stone line together and left alone.

We are deep at LW prospects (hence the availability of Silverberg when Ryan came over). We need at least one more RW. Lazar? Prince? - who prefers LW I think.

Why?

That sounds like a defensive liability line more than anything

Do you mean at the AHL level? It certainly does not look enticing at the NHL level

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Hoffman looked kind of like Hennesey or Kaigarodov when he was in Ottawa. I think he's had chances, but the bricks just didn't fall into place. I thought this season was his last chance (he's 24) but maybe Murray will give him one more training camp next season.

John Holmes*

Some things just don't make any sense.

Why did Bobby Butler get such a long look before the team figured out that he sucks, yet a guy like Filatov gets three shifts to prove himself and is sent down?

Playing Pageau or Da Costa or Hoffman with guys like Neil and Kassian, then dumping all over them for not doing anything isn't really fair either.

Hoffman deserves a real chance. He's doing exactly what he needs to do to get it too.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Why?

That sounds like a defensive liability line more than anything

Do you mean at the AHL level? It certainly does not look enticing at the NHL level

I think Pageau and DaCosta have both improved in that area. If not them, then Zibanejad.

I guess I'm looking for a more extended viewing of the top prospects we have who might make the jump next year. And as John Holmes indicated, play them with some guys who have the skill to make them better. But give them a real look.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
We need him. We just dont have any premium speedy forwards that can break defender's ankles like he can. I question his overall ability but his speed would certainly add a new dynamic to our offense. I say we put him and DaCosta together on the fourth line and see what happens. Conacher out for Hoffman

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
We need him. We just dont have any premium speedy forwards that can break defender's ankles like he can. I question his overall ability but his speed would certainly add a new dynamic to our offense. I say we put him and DaCosta together on the fourth line and see what happens. Conacher out for Hoffman

Why would you ever sit Conacher? The guy has been great for Ottawa this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing:

Conacher - Spezza - Zibanejad

and Hoffman - Da Costa - Condra

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I wouldn't mind seeing:

I like Cony, but if he wants to stick long term, he needs to either produce more or settle in as a bottom 6 player. He's pesky, but he's very weak in puck battles and he's had plenty of opportunity to play in the top 6 without much results.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Hoffman has done nothing with the opportunities given to him to stick in the NHL

Da Costa was more impressive in his debut than he ever was

I don't think he'll be a regular NHL player which is unfortunate. That being said, nothing wrong with being an awesome AHL player

It's a shame Hoffman got hurt last year in that game against Boston, because his speed was giving them fits.

Definitely his finest NHL outing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hoffman looked kind of like Hennesey or Kaigarodov when he was in Ottawa. I think he's had chances, but the bricks just didn't fall into place. I thought this season was his last chance (he's 24) but maybe Murray will give him one more training camp next season.

Agreed ... I don't think he is big enough or better put strong enough to deal with the bigger players in the NHL, he has a lot of skill & skates well but he seems to be a tweener. Stone at the least has NHL size & body.

http://www.silversevensens.com/2014/2/5/5384322/the-curious-case-of-mike-hoffman

I wouldn't mind seeing:

That lineup is way too small & soft for the NHL ... you're only missing Pageau, Prince & Pettersson.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Agreed ... I don't hink he is big enough to deal with the bigger players in the NHL, he has a lot of skill & skates well but he seems to be a tweener. Stone at the least has NHL size & body.

http://www.silversevensens.com/2014/2/5/5384322/the-curious-case-of-mike-hoffman

That lineup is way too small & soft for the NHL ... you're only missing Pageau, Prince & Pettersson.

You can't just write him off because of his size though. He's no different than other undersized players in the league. Yes it's tougher, but there's plenty of room in the NHL for skilled players even if they're small. Conacher has been ok, and he's about as small as they come. I would also argue that Cony is the player that should be scratched to give Hoff a shot so it wouldn't change much if that happened.

His skill is obviously NHL level. IMO Hoffman was much more impressive last year in Ottawa than Stone was this year regardless of size.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You can't just write him off because of his size though. He's no different than other undersized players in the league. Yes it's tougher, but there's plenty of room in the NHL for skilled players even if they're small. Conacher has been ok, and he's about as small as they come. I would also argue that Cony is the player that should be scratched to give Hoff a shot so it wouldn't change much if that happened.

His skill is obviously NHL level. IMO Hoffman was much more impressive last year in Ottawa than Stone was this year regardless of size.

True. His game against boston was awesome.

hes faster and has a better shot than most of our forwards right now. maclean needs to make that work by putting him with the right people.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
He deserves a prolonged look in the top 6.

Hoffman has not produced at the same level as Conacher did in the AHL. Add to that the fact that Hoffman is a much better skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad