AHL '21 provisional relocation

607Hockey

Jan 4, 2021
I figure Binghamton is due to NYS regulations not allowing fans.

Copying from the article:
the Binghamton Devils will play in Newark, N.J.; the Ontario Reign will play in El Segundo, Calif.; the Providence Bruins will play in Marlborough, Mass.; and the San Diego Gulls will play in Irvine, Calif.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Why don't AHL teams travel with their NHL parents and when two NHL teams play their AHL affiliates play in the same stadium either before or after?

Reactions: Flukeshot

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Copying from the article:
the Binghamton Devils will play in Newark, N.J.; the Ontario Reign will play in El Segundo, Calif.; the Providence Bruins will play in Marlborough, Mass.; and the San Diego Gulls will play in Irvine, Calif.
it's not a relocation..... Ontario/Binghamton/SD are all owned outright by the NHL Affiliate.

Providence has to switch due to their arena is being used by the State of Rhode Island(which its convention Authority owns the facility and leases it to Providence College and the Bruins (similar to Worcester-ECHL , when they opted out back in the fall).

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Really? Wherever the NHL team goes the AHL team goes too. Both teams play on the same day (Ice will be in for a full day or more). Same plane and everything.
"Scheduling" referring to those teams without NHL affiliates having to scramble for opponents or take the season off (either condition which would also run counter to the AHL's RTP goal of giving its members equal choices). "logistical" meaning prepping & flying & lodging four full rosters plus team staff while managing COVID protocols among twice as many people. Planning what you propose isn't as simple as you wish, or the Leagues would've taken you up on the idea.

Reactions: adsfan

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
it's not a relocation..... Ontario/Binghamton/SD are all owned outright by the NHL Affiliate.

Providence has to switch due to their arena is being used by the State of Rhode Island(which its convention Authority owns the facility and leases it to Providence College and the Bruins (similar to Worcester-ECHL , when they opted out back in the fall).

Do the Bruins have a practice facility in Providence or do they practice at the arena full time?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Since the Devils own the franchise, but local people in Bingo operate the team, I would guess the local operator said they don't want to lose money with no fans, and the Devils decided to operate the team themselves out of their practice rink in NJ, so they can use NHL staff to run the AHL team. Likely won't be fans in the buildings in NJ either, but it is worthwhile for the NHL Devils to lose a little money to keep their prospects playing.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Could two or more AHL teams share the same building - like a mini-bubble?
likely no, because ultimately the state has final call... 2/3 of the league as it is now are owned or operated outright by the parent club.... Providence should be listed that way, but for whatever reason that transaction hasn't occurred, nor would Delaware North want that expense, and the way the lease is structured in Providence, they have no legal standing to interfere with the way that franchise operates.... will it happen at some future point where Renfroe is removed/ejected, whatever the case may be, you then have the State Convention Authority in RI, to deal with....

Reactions: Mike Jones

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Since the Devils own the franchise, but local people in Bingo operate the team, I would guess the local operator said they don't want to lose money with no fans, and the Devils decided to operate the team themselves out of their practice rink in NJ, so they can use NHL staff to run the AHL team. Likely won't be fans in the buildings in NJ either, but it is worthwhile for the NHL Devils to lose a little money to keep their prospects playing.

The Devils contract with Binghamton ends after the 2021-2022 season. I wonder if the Devils will decide it's more efficient to have their AHL club closer like San Jose and the three Canadian teams.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Devils contract with Binghamton ends after the 2021-2022 season. I wonder if the Devils will decide it's more efficient to have their AHL club closer like San Jose and the three Canadian teams.
Binghamton pays the devils for the honor of keeping the AHL in their city. I am sure the devils are happy to continue to receive the subsidy if the city of Bringhamton wants to renew their lease.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I think the Worcester Sharks used the New England Sports Center for some practices and pre season games during their time in central ma.
I went there for a youth hockey tournament that my son was playing in a few years ago and the Sharks were practicing in one of the rinks before his game. If I remember correctly that facility had six rinks when we went there and I believe it has been expanded to eight since. With all of the tournaments going on there every weekend the hotels and restaurants in the area made out well.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

There is a possibility that keeping AHL players in the NHL bubble will reduce quarantine time. I've not heard an official ruling on that.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
There is a possibility that keeping AHL players in the NHL bubble will reduce quarantine time. I've not heard an official ruling on that.
I saw a post somewhere else that said it will be case by case. There won't be one hard and fast rule as far as quarantine for moving from the AHL-NHL. I suspect the teams like the Devils and Kings who are keeping the AHL team in the NHL practice facility will no have to quarantine, and likely teams that have their NHL and AHL teams in different states (or countries) will have to (depending on state rules of course)

Reactions: 210

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I had an article I posted that there would be no blanket quarantining required. Some depends on safety protocols AHL implements (and how close it is to NHL), a lot on the local health authorities. (Currently, some areas in California require quarantining if you travel there from more than 150 miles away.)

Reactions: Tao Jones

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
New York's travel restriction do not apply to border states (Pa, Conn, NJ, Vt, Ma) as NY's Governor says he has no way to enforce travel restrictions between those states.
Binghamton plays in one of the smallest arenas in the AHL, but has some of most vocal, supportive fans. Since there is not a lot of other winter activities in the Southern Tier, those folks go all in.
As noted, the decision for the Devils to not play in Binghamton was financial and not related to fan support or state level government.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad