Confirmed with Link: Agnew, Hirsch Fired

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I read Hirsch as Hitch...
Haha I should have put "BREAKING NEWS" or something to fool people.

I like the one-year deal for Hitchcock. I really would give him one more chance with this team, and if they can't get the job done next year then it's time to move on from him, IMO. It will be his 4th season with us, it's time to see if his system works in the playoffs.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Is it Bennett that runs the powerplay? If so he's the one who should be fired

Edit: Nevermind, Korac says it was Agnew who ran the PP

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If Hirsch "over-coached" Miller, then Miller is an idiot. A goalie at the NHL level should know what works for him and what doesn't. There's making tweaks to your game, and then there's completely changing your game. No goalie should be letting a goalie coach completely change their style. I find it hard to believe that Hirsch told Miller, "hey why don't we flop out of position like a fish and look stupid." Letting Hirsch go is a total cop-out for Miller if you ask me.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If Hirsch "over-coached" Miller, then Miller is an idiot. A goalie at the NHL level should know what works for him and what doesn't. There's making tweaks to your game, and then there's completely changing your game. No goalie should be letting a goalie coach completely change their style. I find it hard to believe that Hirsch told Miller, "hey why don't we flop out of position like a fish and look stupid." Letting Hirsch go is a total cop-out for Miller if you ask me.
I partly agree, but coming to a new team I'm not sure if it would be in Miller's best interest as a new guy to already go against the coaching staff and do whatever he wants. I'm sure he felt pressured to comply with what they were saying.

If that's the case I blame Hirsch for failing to recognize what makes Miller effective. Surely he should have known all about him before he even got here.

I don't know. I definitely could see it as a cop out if/when we re-sign Miller though.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
As we expected really. Hitch and Shaw were always likely to be back and there would be a shake up in other areas.

Inability to change the momentum of a series 3 years in a row has got to be a big worry. Counter argument is that if we had a semi effective PP we'd be beating Minnesota just now.

Guessin Hirsch did over-coach Miller.

Miller got off to a great statistical start here, but all the warning signs were there. He was badly overcommitting, but he was getting away with it most of the time.

Difficult to judge a goalie coach from the outside, but I'm not surprised Hirsch is gone.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Shaw runs the defense, Agnew ran the PP, Bennett observes from high-up and communicates with Hitch.

Anyway, you knew Agnew was a goner. Never seen such an easy-to-defend power play in my life. Nobody ever tried to get to the middle of the ice.

I do wonder who is going to take Hirsch's place. Maybe Conklin? I thought he was already involved with the team. And you have to think that they want Oates for Agnew's spot, assuming he doesn't get a head coaching opportunity.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I partly agree, but coming to a new team I'm not sure if it would be in Miller's best interest as a new guy to already go against the coaching staff and do whatever he wants. I'm sure he felt pressured to comply with what they were saying.

If that's the case I blame Hirsch for failing to recognize what makes Miller effective. Surely he should have known all about him before he even got here.

I don't know. I definitely could see it as a cop out if/when we re-sign Miller though.
I can see what you mean about coming to a new team, but at the same time we weren't trading for him for him to change. We were trading for him to be the goalie that he's been. I just don't buy the speculation that Hirsch tried to change things. You absolutely do not make changes with a goalie right before the playoffs unless he's playing like crap. Personally, being a goalie myself, the flopping mess that we saw Miller turn into isn't a matter of coaching. That was a panicked goaltender if I've ever seen one.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I would literally piss myself with excitement if we landed Korn. But there's less than a zero percent chance that Korn leaves Nashville. They'd be crazy to let him go.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Honestly, we should have been running the power play through Tarasenko all year when he's on the ice. He's good enough to make things happens and he makes good decisions with the puck.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Considering the close relationship between Hitchcock and Agnew I find this move fairly significant. Hitch is definitely on notice. We know Agnew plays an active role in the power play but he also coaches the forwards and while some individuals have had career years under his watch, the Blues were were one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL over the final 41 games. If he has significant sway over Hitchcock in regards to how the Blues play in the offensive zone then this decision was even further justified.

Hirsch is in odd fall guy considering what he's done with Elliott and the Jennings credentials. Maybe this indicates that Elliott made it clear during exit meetings that he intends to seriously test the market and Army thinks it's a long-shot he's coming back. Either way, that doesn't discredit his relatively solid work over the last handful of years. Don't really get that one.

As for Ray Bennett, that dude has nine lives. Wasn't he hired by Andy Murray? I guess he brings something unique to the table.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Guessin Hirsch did over-coach Miller.

Kinda how I read it, too. I also agree with the other posters who feel the Hirsch firing was a cop out to Miller as well as a sign that Elliott is likely gone. Goaltending coaches can be very a personal thing for goalies. If Miller's gonna be the guy going forward, I'd expect them to at least consider Miller's preferences.

I liked Hirsch though. I thought he did a good job. If Agnew is responsible for what I think he was responsible for, I wonder why we didn't send him packing sooner.

Hitch's one year extension is right in line with my expectations given the way our both season and post-season ended. We do love our "prove it" contracts. ;)

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
FYI Buffalo Sabres longtime goalie coach Jim Corsi was let go a couple weeks ago, so maybe a reunion between him and Ryan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad