Post-Game Talk: Agent Smith | Drai/Kassian/McDavid 3 - Smith 31/33

PaulZ

I'm confused....
Jan 21, 2015
Ontario
I knew they'd win. They look like god killers when they get going. This team will be in the mix for the cup in the spring.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Odd. He had two great backchecks that resulted in Vancouver turnovers and he nearly had a puck deflect in off of him.

I think TIppet slowly coaches him in to the game. That he is up means, 1 Haas has threated to go back to Europe if playing n AHL 2. Tippet sees a good player in him, but needs slowly coming into the league.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Hopefully Sheahan and Jurco stabilize things a bit.

As a Wings fan, maybe I just am overly optimistic about them, but I think Jurco and Sheahan on that lineup changes it from having glaring "who is that guy" holes to having two players built for those roles... one with high end talent that has everything to prove, and another defensive minded vet with a ton of experience.

Can't wait until they're both playing.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Koskinen channeling his inner Mike Smith

rOVbY3S.jpg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The only players not talked about here is Chiasson and then Granlund. How where they?

Chaisson had some real good looks on the PP that he didn't cash, but wasn't noticeable 5 on 5. Granlund offensively seemed to get pushed off the puck by the air generated by a player approaching him. Defensively I didn't notice any issues with either which is good I guess.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I didn't even realize Granlund was playing until late in the 2nd period.

You could make an argument that that means he was the best player in the bottom 6 last night.
Between not remembering all the numbers from last year with all the new additions, I can barely tell recognize who is out there unless they had the puck or made a play that the announcers talked aboutl

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The entire bottom six was pretty disappoint last night. That said, I haven't noticed Granlund one time last night or in any of the preseason games. Reminds me a lot of Jokinen, just kind of out there, somewhere.

Sheahan and Jurco should help the lineup out quite a bit. Bump Nygard down to a bottom six role and add some speed there, and Sheahan is 5x the player Cave is.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Crap. I knew something was up since he wasn't on the ice in the last 10 mins (maybe a very brief shift here and there).

Sounds like he might be out until the new year too, the Bouchard & Bear moves are just paper transactions, Bear and Bouchard are both staying where they are.
Still, sucks 1 game into the season and we're already down a d-man. It is the water, causing brittle bone disease or some shit.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Sounds like he might be out until the new year too, the Bouchard & Bear moves are just paper transactions, Bear and Bouchard are both staying where they are.
Still, sucks 1 game into the season and we're already down a d-man. It is the water, causing brittle bone disease or some ****.
Yeah, it's really sucks.

Every year there is something, every damn year. I for one think that this is really bad, I did not think he was bad yesterday and generally I think he is an important 'shield' on the RD side. That said I am hoping for pumped up rookies to keep going on adrenaline until he gets back!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nah, I'll come to his defense.

Nuge is rounding into a consummate veteran caring more about the team winning, than personal accolade. That he was held off the scoresheet is fine. There was Nuge making several clever setups to Neal and Draisaitl. None of those cashed but they were good smart plays and 3 of them were stoned.

Theres Nuge on the pk, the only one of our stars getting appreciable pk minutes under the Tippet scheme. He's working tirelessly ragging the puck in opponent zone. Took 2-3 players to get a puck off of him. he was hounding pucks like glue on pk. Only one sequence on pk I didn't like. I want him a bit more aggresive in own zone with pursuit.

Not every game is going to be spectacular by our stars, but they have to make a solid contribution and I felt Nuge did in the 2nd and 3rd periods. He got better as the game went on. He got a couple good looks himself on the PP and almost got a goal. He's one of the players I always key on so I'll state good or bad when it happens, because he's a key player on the team. We need the best of him. We need him to be the ordinary star on this team playing different roles supporting the generational stars we have.

Goes without saying that Nuge, the smart player, has no difficulty at all learning the Tippet scheme and the coaches would tell you he played a pretty good gritty Datsyuk type game.

Solid post Drive!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
How else do you explain his lack of attention to detail in the defensive end, and his cheating for offence? The thing that’s so frustrating about Nurse is he has all the tools to be an amazing shutdown dman, and is still making the same mistakes he made in junior.

What a load of trash. Nurse went for more offense last year because he was pointedly instructed to by the coaching staff because he was the only Dman on the roster with the skill set to be able to do so. Did someone lock your personal Nurse/Nuge bashing thread?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Solid post Drive!

@Bryanbryoil and @Fourier ghost wrote it for me..;)

heh, no, just kidding. These are my actual thoughts. Credit where Credit is due.

Its easier to be positive about the team, different elements this year, and winning is always better. Hope the team keeps it up. For sure it looks like Drai, Kass and the bunch are off to better starts this year.

But we sure need more from the supporting cast. Jurco will help. So will Sheahan and I want to see more of P Russell.

Hopefully Neal can bust one soon. I say that because we don't want him holding the stick tight. A lot rides on whether Neal heats up again which I expect he can.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe he should be copying how Smith stopped pucks last night too.

Danger will Robinson...

I don't really recommend this. JUST because Smith is very good at this doesn't mean its something that you can slip in your Koski arsenal just with a few practices. I sure hope the team isn't telling Koski to be doing this as it has to be a naturally confident thing. If it isn't bad things happen.

I know some posters here said the goalie coach should be working with Koski on puck movement but damn, I hate to think people here are giving any advice..;)

But just in case...

Put Jurco in lineup immediately, call up Burdasov again, and be nice to Gagner..;)

Oh, and don't send Bear down.

Get your preference and recommendations in folks..hehe

Reactions: Cloned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad