Age 18: E. Johnson or Phaneuf?

Hinger

Feb 19, 2005
Who was/is the better player at 18? Does Johnson have the skills/abilities to do in his first year (points/shots) in the nhl (next year) what Phaneuf did in his?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
at age 18!! johnson!! phaneuf had a great rookie season, but EJ definatley has the potential to do the same or better in he's first year.

Reload

Jun 20, 2003
Visit site
This isn't even close. EJ is far better at 18 than Dion was. Its later on when Dion made his great strides and became the force he is now.

Transported Upstater

Erik Johnson in September of 2006 is miles ahead of Dion Phaneuf circa September 2003.

Phaneuf's development from 2003-2005 was at a level you rarely see. His game grew nearly exponentially. He was the 3rd best defenseman prospect in his June 2003 draft class, and two years later he had DOMINATED the WHL and WJC and transformed himself into a can't-miss, zero-bust megastar prospect who would never see the AHL and would excel in the NHL the moment he would set foot on the ice. Does anyone realize how amazing it is for a 20-year old defenseman with no AHL experience to come right into the NHL, and excel for a team with a mega-deep blueline? He displaced some very solid players in the Flames lineup on the way, also. It's not like he broke onto Pittsburgh's or Washington's blueline. THIS WAS CALGARY. Double Dion is a freak of nature.

Hinger

Feb 19, 2005
Wow I Like What I Am Reading So Far!

Good words of encouragement! I have Phaneuf in my fantasy league, still as a junior, and have recently traded for the first overall pick in this year's draft and, while I agree with you all, it is one of those things that I wanted to hear it from others. We dress five defensemen in our league and I have Phaneuf at a league minimum salary for three more seasons and Johnson will be the same for four seasons once he starts playing!

Transported Upstater

Good words of encouragement! I have Phaneuf in my fantasy league, still as a junior, and have recently traded for the first overall pick in this year's draft and, while I agree with you all, it is one of those things that I wanted to hear it from others. We dress five defensemen in our league and I have Phaneuf at a league minimum salary for three more seasons and Johnson will be the same for four seasons once he starts playing!

You have Phaneuf and Johnson? Who's your goalie? If he's good, then good lord, in 5 years that team's not getting scored on.

Hinger

Feb 19, 2005
Kipper

I have had a lot of luck drafting and trading in my league. I have won it two years in a row and aiming for a third. I have kipper at a minimum salary as I claimed him in our weekly claims one week before being traded to Calgary. I also have Nash and Spezza at a league minimum for my forwards. Kipper, Nash, and Spezza are done (can't be protected) after this year but should be very strong in juniors (ie. Phaneuf and Johnson) as I have traded over the last few years for futures as well as the present.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I have to agree with everyone else. I think the real eye-opening step-up point for Dion was the 04 WJC. He was GREAT on the backline for Canada, and knocked Rostislav Olesz right out of the tournament with one of the biggest hits I've ever seen. He really got some attention then. The lockout also benefitted Dion, something that Johnson will never have the luxury of.

Johnson, on the other hand was EXCELLENT as a 18 year old at the 06 WJC, - which I also watched - before he was even drafted. This is a kid who came out of absolutely nowhere to become the #1 overall pick in his draft year. This says something about this kid. Johnson is coming on to a somewhat deep defense as well... Brewer, Backman, and Jackman is a pretty good young top 3. Not as deep as Calgary's last year, but Phaneuf played well enough to be their #1, even though I still think Regehr had that title, as he is the heart and soul of that defense.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
i dont know, apparently Phaneuf was very good and only Sutter was smart enough to know it.:teach:

it's hard to compare prospects in different leagues unless they play together on the same team.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Erik Johnson in September of 2006 is miles ahead of Dion Phaneuf circa September 2003.

Phaneuf's development from 2003-2005 was at a level you rarely see. His game grew nearly exponentially. He was the 3rd best defenseman prospect in his June 2003 draft class, and two years later he had DOMINATED the WHL and WJC and transformed himself into a can't-miss, zero-bust megastar prospect who would never see the AHL and would excel in the NHL the moment he would set foot on the ice. Does anyone realize how amazing it is for a 20-year old defenseman with no AHL experience to come right into the NHL, and excel for a team with a mega-deep blueline? He displaced some very solid players in the Flames lineup on the way, also. It's not like he broke onto Pittsburgh's or Washington's blueline. THIS WAS CALGARY. Double Dion is a freak of nature.

I love it. Couldn't have said it better myself.

The next question to anwer is "20 yrs old: Phaneuf or Johnson".

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I have to agree with everyone else. I think the real eye-opening step-up point for Dion was the 04 WJC. He was GREAT on the backline for Canada, and knocked Rostislav Olesz right out of the tournament with one of the biggest hits I've ever seen. He really got some attention then. The lockout also benefitted Dion, something that Johnson will never have the luxury of.

Johnson, on the other hand was EXCELLENT as a 18 year old at the 06 WJC, - which I also watched - before he was even drafted. This is a kid who came out of absolutely nowhere to become the #1 overall pick in his draft year. This says something about this kid. Johnson is coming on to a somewhat deep defense as well... Brewer, Backman, and Jackman is a pretty good young top 3. Not as deep as Calgary's last year, but Phaneuf played well enough to be their #1, even though I still think Regehr had that title, as he is the heart and soul of that defense.

A lockout wouldn't benefit Johnson. The Blues will play him when he is ready. Johnson didn't really come out of nowhere either. Going into his draft year, he was regarded as the best Defenseman in his class, and was probably ranked 4th or 5th. He improved alot during the draft year and thus was drafted 1# overall, but he didn't come out of nowhere.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Johnson.

But don't expect in the way of points as soon as he enters the WCHA. Even for a prospect of his stature (or Kessel's)...it can take some time to adjust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad