AFTERMATH: "You have selected 'Regicide' " | Penguins vs. Rangers | Pens win! 4-1

PlinyElder*

Him not being in "perfect position" is not him giving up a bad goal. MAF is 6-2, MM is 6-4. Are you really saying that those 2 inches is seriously limiting him!? MAF is probably one of the top 10 goalies in the league.

I don't get it either but Murray is huge in net.

940-quick-smythe-8col.jpg

No one knows yet. I bet if it's not announced this summer, it will be in 2018.

Quick is a brick wall though. Goalies that have similar heights as Fleury.. Quick and Crawford but they got 30 pounds on him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Things might change over the playoffs and offseason, but really, nobody's answered what is the great big upside on trying to force a trade as soon as possible instead of waiting?

All depends on the market. If there's a market for him and PIT can make it work (aka get a good return and either a backup in the trade or find a good/great one in FA), then I think you have to seriously consider it. The market (which is going to be extremely limited to begin with) can change quickly, and just because there's potentially a great option there now, doesn't mean there'll be one there in 14 months.

But if there's no market now, then that doesn't mean you force things. As I said, things change, and it's possible that someone who's happy with their goaltending today, could be disappointed enough with in in 14 mths that new options are available.

So would I rush things? No. But if there's a deal there that I liked, I wouldn't pass on it, simply because it might not be there next offseason.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Quick is a brick wall though. Goalies that have similar heights as Fleury.. Quick and Crawford but they got 30 pounds on him.

Being heavier doesn't magically make him a different goalie. Quick is an athletic goalie basically to the definition, your entire premise is laughably wrong because of him. Height and weight don't change player style. Guys like Fleury, Quick, Rinne, Rask, Varlamov, Luongo and Holtby are more athletic goalies than blocking goalies (although Holtby is both an amazing athletic and amazing blocking goalie).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside, I freely admit that I can not help but be amused at the vaaaaaaaaaaaaaast difference in tone we go to as a fan base (though I am sure this is true with every fan base) from game to game based on result.

If I remember after the last game were we not in favor of trading Malkin for whatever we could get for him among other 'time to blow up the team' suggestions?

We bring bipolar disorder to new levels.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is it really worth trading Fleury to get Niemi in return?

If you're getting Shore, another nice young prospect and a pick (say 2nd/3rd)? Or Shore and Nuke? Or Guryanov? Probably. Dallas has enough good young F prospects (who are good, but not elite prospects) that they could probably do a deal that makes sense from both sides.

Besides, Niemi would be fine as a backup and could take over as the starter if Murray faltered. You don't see any cap savings (at least nothing significant), but you're getting some quality prospects and protecting Murray while not losing MM/MAF for nothing in a draft.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah couldn't resist posting there - or reading their posts complaining of everything under the sun.

Their logic is at the level of frightened monkeys... And they are throwing their fair share of feces too... I mean this percieved bettman favortism is absurd... What the league favors us because they sometimes call a penalty when a guy breaks a stick on one of our guys heads? I mean what the heck cinstitutes being favored? Getting a 5on 3 called against you where one of the calls was a 4 minute play? Calling one out of every ten runs they take on us... Even when lundqvist got eyeballed by staal ... Staal was only carrying his stick that high because he had just tried to decapitate a pens player with it...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yah, i dont get a dallas trade either. If the pens are trading fleury it cant be for a goalie making around the same as fleury. Id prefer a top4 dman or top 6 LWer.

Who needs a goalie, is not on MAFs no trade list AND would be willing to give up someone like that?

The market for MAF (if JR is actually interested in exploring it) is going to be extremely limited. The odds of us getting a top 4D or a top 6F is extremely far fetched. Realistically it'll be for futures. And if said team already has 2 NHL goalies, probably one of those as well for cap/roster reasons.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
As an aside, I freely admit that I can not help but be amused at the vaaaaaaaaaaaaaast difference in tone we go to as a fan base (though I am sure this is true with every fan base) from game to game based on result.

If I remember after the last game were we not in favor of trading Malkin for whatever we could get for him among other 'time to blow up the team' suggestions?

We bring bipolar disorder to new levels.

Its just agendas stay quiet till the results support their view... Notice all the Crosby haters are missing right now? Somebody start a "Get Sid off of the top PP" thread and watch how fast they appear...

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Pens are in the postion to take their time to figure out the goaltending situation. They would be stupid not to. I'm guessing the most you could get for Fleury is a second round pic and a mid level roster player.

Take 16/17, let them get near equal starts (1a and 1b) and go from there. If Matt Murray can handle that, let Fleury go at the 2017 draft.

We are all a little sentimental about Fleury, but I'm a big believer that this team needs to start positioning themselves for life after Crosby and Malkin's prime. We aren't going to be getting another Crosby and Malkin to take over. Time to start establishing a new younger core. Murray would be the first major piece of that.

The entire Crosby Era hasn't gone as well as it should have. I wouldn't have believed it in 2009 if someone said that by 2015, the Hawks would have 3 championships while the Pens are still stuck at 1 in the same period of time.

That's what happens when management and the fanbase get sentimental and fall in love with players.

Rutherford has done wonders this year but hopefully, Lemieux and Burkle find new owners soon so that Mario's friends in the organization get the boot when the inevitable rebuild begins.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Its just agendas stay quiet till the results support their view... Notice all the Crosby haters are missing right now? Somebody start a "Get Sid off of the top PP" thread and watch how fast they appear...

Moderator's note: Please do not start that thread.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

It's ****ing pathetic when that happens. Some people on these message boards have no self-awareness. Their opportunism is such a cliche. It annoys me online, and it annoys me offline. You get much more respect when you can show some humility, such as Terrapin admitting to eating crow about Sheary (who, really, is surprising us all).

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Well then we should organize a bunch of polls concerning Penguin players and base every personnel move completely on those results.

The thing is, this wasn't a poll of just the Penguin players, it was a poll that involved every player active in the league.

That kind of sentiment on Fleury affects his trade value whether it's fair or not. If a GM's players don't think highly of Fleury, the GM isn't going to make an offer for him.

Fluery's a great guy, but not an elite goaltender. There's as good a chance of him losing a series as there is of him winning one by himself.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It honestly makes me a little sad and upset that you guys think I'm feeding some agenda or something when it's convenient. I've been talking about this off and on for going on two seasons. It doesn't mean I'm right but it doesn't mean I'm trolling, either.

I regularly come clean when I'm wrong. I'll gladly do it again if/when Malkin can come back around.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
Sheary actually starting on the 1st line? What is going on with the world. Hopefully they convert in the first period or it'll be Kunitz back up there again. I'd feel bad for Malkin, being stuck with Kunitz and Fehr, if he wasn't also playing like crap.

Things are looking up, but I still hate that Schultz is getting the shaft for no apparent reason. It looked like he was on his way to a complete reformation, now I'm afraid that'll probably happen with some other club.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It honestly makes me a little sad and upset that you guys think I'm feeding some agenda or something when it's convenient. I've been talking about this off and on for going on two seasons. It doesn't mean I'm right but it doesn't mean I'm trolling, either.

I regularly come clean when I'm wrong. I'll gladly do it again if/when Malkin can come back around.

Tell you what . . . we'll see Thursday whether my 'pace' theory holds, because if it doesn't, then the Pens have a big short and long term problem . . . and your Randy Quaid Major League II schtick might be closer to the truth than not. :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Things are looking up, but I still hate that Schultz is getting the shaft for no apparent reason. It looked like he was on his way to a complete reformation, now I'm afraid that'll probably happen with some other club.

Maybe... maybe not. Would really depend on what happens with Lovejoy this summer. If we let him walk and explain that JS will be a regular, perhaps it's a non-issue. Perhaps it's an issue. Guess we'll find out this summer. The good news is that there is no guarantee that Schultz going elsewhere will have the same success he had here when he first came over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad