After the break

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If you had said firmly in the playoffs I would agree with you but having their eyes on it to me means being a bubble team and to that I say hell no. I want this team to either be solidly locked into the playoffs or firmly out of it.

Looking at the standings, there are 6 teams solidly in the playoffs and 6 teams pretty much out. That means there are 18 bubble teams. Last year was the only year we were solidly out and maybe one year we were solidly in. I think we likely stay a bubble team because Tip is a great coach, until we establish ourselves as a great team in 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I tried that last year and had my very hockey soul absolutely ripped out of my body, pissed on and shoved back in through my nose. It was one of the worst moments in my entire sports fandom life, I don't know if I can handle it again. Matthews is the dream but that's not how Coyote life works. Right now I'm just hoping against hope they land any one of Tkachuk, Chychrun or the super Finns.

Gf is a Oilers fan. She didn't even care about the lottery. Was more annoyed that I thought this was must see tv and wanted to watch in relative quiet. I even took the day off work!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I tried that last year and had my very hockey soul absolutely ripped out of my body, pissed on and shoved back in through my nose. It was one of the worst moments in my entire sports fandom life, I don't know if I can handle it again. Matthews is the dream but that's not how Coyote life works. Right now I'm just hoping against hope they land any one of Tkachuk, Chychrun or the super Finns.

I totally agree. That lottery last year was truly one of the worst moments as a coyotes fan. The last time we got swept by the wings in the first round was worse. That lottery was second worst. In retrospect there were some positives. First, it serves as proof that either the NHL doesn't rig the lottery, or they're really bad at it. Also, we got Strome. He looks promising.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I totally agree. That lottery last year was truly one of the worst moments as a coyotes fan.

I knew it was going to happen to us because after all this time I have become a cynical *******, but the Oilers winning the lottery destroyed a bit of my NHL fandom forever.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I knew it was going to happen to us because after all this time I have become a cynical *******, but the Oilers winning the lottery destroyed a bit of my NHL fandom forever.
That's what killed me. I had the same attitude, I never actually thought it was possible because you know...Coyotes. That was pretty much my attitude the whole time as I watched but when they flipped over the #4 card and it was Toronto, I let my guard down for just a moment. I literally thought to myself "holy ****...this is actually going to happen!!!!". I knew the only cards left were Edmonton, Arizona and Buffalo and Edmonton had just won 3 years in a row so they're basically out. In that moment I was like a little kid who just knew he was getting THE present. Then came that ****ing Oilers logo. It's literally a flash memory, if I had artistic talent I could draw the ****ing thing perfectly. Daly holding that gold card trying to hide the fact that he's almost has heart broken as I am. Such a horrible, horrible, horrible day for Coyote fans and that is ****ing saying something!!!

The Gambler's Fallacy laid the ****ing smack down on me that day.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
For me, there was no way that singular moment could possibly have been worse than enduring the last 3-4 months of the season just ended.

I expected us to pick 3rd. We picked 3rd. When my phone went off and I saw Edmonton had won - I just chuckled and shook my head a little. I knew some of you would be throwing things at walls.

And now here we are at the following year's all-star break, none the worse for wear with a younger, overachieving team, and 10 points up on the two teams we were in 'contention' :shakehead with. And the hockey gods, cruel as they can be, gave us one fewer year to watch the guy we 'lost' (McDavid) torch us in person. (edit: forgot we play them 3x at home, still one left on 3/22)

Last edited:

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
1704050871_4181954394001_DraftOil-640x360.jpg

That painful moment I shall never forget

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's what killed me. I had the same attitude, I never actually thought it was possible because you know...Coyotes. That was pretty much my attitude the whole time as I watched but when they flipped over the #4 card and it was Toronto, I let my guard down for just a moment. I literally thought to myself "holy ****...this is actually going to happen!!!!". I knew the only cards left were Edmonton, Arizona and Buffalo and Edmonton had just won 3 years in a row so they're basically out. In that moment I was like a little kid who just knew he was getting THE present. Then came that ****ing Oilers logo. It's literally a flash memory, if I had artistic talent I could draw the ****ing thing perfectly. Daly holding that gold card trying to hide the fact that he's almost has heart broken as I am. Such a horrible, horrible, horrible day for Coyote fans and that is ****ing saying something!!!

Exactly! I didn't think we were going to get one of the magic two UNTIL the Toronto card. Then I believed. Then I was crushed.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I just remember thinking, one more, one more............then it came. I can't believe the crap at the draft too when bettman announced a trade right before we picked strome, and it didn't end up involving us. Same sense of dread built when he said that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Didn't watch it live. Knew the math. We're talking about the Coyotes.

It'll be hard to get excited about Sergachyov or McAvoy or whatever, knowing the only reason you're not in contention for the top 3 again is because Smith got hurt and DT trapped his ass to some undeserving wins.

I'd rather just make the playoffs.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Yeah it was like getting kicked in the nuts then having a guy with an Oiler jersey stand over you laughing. Couldn't be worse this year could it?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Thank goodness Dylan Strome was in that draft too. 3 #1 C's in one draft is pretty good considering that's the one year we went full tank.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Thank goodness Dylan Strome was in that draft too. 3 #1 C's in one draft is pretty good considering that's the one year we went full tank.

Four centers. You forgot Darth Marner. Wasn't he a center?:laugh:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
After watching the fiasco in Manitoba I think that we need to trade for an enforcer. We got our arses kicked left and right.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exactly! I didn't think we were going to get one of the magic two UNTIL the Toronto card. Then I believed. Then I was crushed.

:laugh:Same with me. I was ready to throw the remote at my TV. I have family living in Edmonton and they were all laughing and rubbing it in. I think I almost developed an ulcer from that draft. Like most, I'm still pissed. What makes it even worse today is looking at the standing and seeing Edmonton below us AGAIN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad