After one season in the East, who do you think is Detroit's biggest rival?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Last season Detroit moved into what had been known as the Northeast Division for 20 years (and the Adams for 19 years before that) and was renamed the Atlantic Division because there are now Florida teams in the division too. They left behind rivalries with Chicago and St. Louis (and to an extent Columbus, though they moved East too) to do so.

3 of the Red Wings' division rivals are also Original Six teams - Boston, Montreal, and Toronto. Detroit has another geographic rival in Buffalo, another city located across the border from Canada (Ontario) - in fact, traveling between the cities is faster by crossing the border. Then you have Daniel Alfredsson's former team the Senators in the division, and two teams from Florida as I said before - Florida and Tampa Bay, knowing that the Lions once shared a division with the Bucs in the NFL for 25 years would contribute to the rivalry with the Lightning.

So, after one season in the Atlantic Division, who do you see as Detroit's new biggest rival? Buffalo and Toronto being geographically close to Detroit (and to each other, for that matter) goes a long way towards developing a rivalry.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I still think of Chicago as Detroit's biggest rival, but the rivalry has been renewed with Boston, Toronto and Montreal.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don't know if we've really established good rivalries with any of them yet; Boston is probably the closest although most Wings fans will tell you they despise Toronto more.

I agree with Flashy above though that Chicago is still our biggest rival in my eyes.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I still think of Chicago as Detroit's biggest rival, but the rivalry has been renewed with Boston, Toronto and Montreal.
Personally I don't feel any rivalry going with us and Montreal.

Boston, yes, but we need to re-establish ourselves as a contender to actually be a true rival to them.

This season I felt like our games against Ottawa and Toronto had the most rivalry feel going. Not sure if that was just because of Alfie and the Winter Classic but that's how it felt like to me.

I still think of Pittsburgh as our #1 rival in the East, but we need another playoff series against them to really get that fire burning again.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
apart from what the guys are saying about chicago i dont see us having one

though i do foresee one reigniting with toronto and developing further with boston

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Honestly I don't even view Chicago as a real rival. Even last year it didn't feel special to me. In the past decade, Anaheim and SJ were much better rivals IMO.

We really don't have one right now.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It's gotta be Toronto. There was the Winter Classic and we will be fighting it out with them for the #8 playoff spot for the foreseeable future. Plus they are one of our most consistent rivals, not as consistent as Chicago but we were hard core rivals before Gary Bettman destroyed all that was good in the NHL.

Tough to call Boston a rival considering how badly they abused us in the playoffs.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
In the next few years, I imagine Toronto will be our most hated rival in the East.

Probably, but it's going to take a few playoff series. Right now it's more of a fanbase rivalry than anything on the ice.

There's too much respect between the Wings and Bruins for things to get too heated. Plus they'll always hate Montreal more.

In short: we don't have one.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think Ottawa is making a good run. Between Alfredsson, and Cowen elbowing Datsyuk, the Neil/Smith fight, and the Neil/Franzen verbal jabs and everything. I ended up really not liking them. Boston was nothing until we met in the Playoffs and then everything soured with Marchand and Lucic.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I think Ottawa is making a good run. Between Alfredsson, and Cowen elbowing Datsyuk, the Neil/Smith fight, and the Neil/Franzen verbal jabs and everything. I ended up really not liking them. Boston was nothing until we met in the Playoffs and then everything soured with Marchand and Lucic.

Agreed. The elbow did it for me. Although the leafs are getting there as well.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

They would be the frontrunner, in my opinion.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
We have always put up really good games against Boston lately (except in the playoffs apparently) who are one of the big dogs of the east, but we haven't established a rivalry yet.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Nothing worthy of being called a "rivalry" yet. I expect we will grow to hate Leafs and Sens a lot, though.

And we will probably feel about Boston the way the Blue Jackets and Predators felt about us. They thought there was a "rivalry", but really it was just one team getting beaten routinely by another.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That's a good question. Thankfully there is a bit of annoyance/rivalry built up from last season with most of the Atlantic teams, I'd say near equally but for different reasons.

Boston- probably the strongest team in the East who Wings fans got a good taste of in the PO's and were generally disgusted that we lost, even if the B's were better. Lucic is now up there as the most disliked player in Detroit (beside Cleary :laugh:).

Ottawa- there was some bad blood in those matches. Physical, passionate, and borderline dirty hocky, should carry over into this season.

Toronto- Classic rivalry that was respectful last year but hey, it's Toronto. The hatred is underlying.

Tampa Bay- They remind me of Nashville how bad they want to beat the Red Wings. The connection with Stevie Y, all the transplants and snowbirds from Michigan, the battle of the numerous rookies that fought for a Calder cup in 2013 make this a series worth watching.

Montreal- Again the dislike from the original 6 days carries over. I was surprised how many fans locally were for the Canadians against Boston this last PO's, the old timers were probably rolling in their graves! Montreal kicked our butts all season and made it to the ECF, they should be looked at as our biggest rival and a team we need to conquer.

Buffalo- They don't really fit as they seemed so lackluster, don't even remember playing them, hopefully get things going to be more competitive.

Florida- Like Tampa, they are another southern team that goes hard against us and I thought made for some good games. Looking forward to romping on them this season.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
None. We're too soft to get any passion and hatred going...
I don't think it's that. Last year had a lost of roster churn for the Wings, so they didn't ever really settle down. We'll see more of that hopefully when D and Z stay healthy here the next few.

But overall, the Wings aren't particularly mean and so other teams don't play them very mean in return. Really, the Eastern conference is practically cordial in contrast with the West.

crashman

I totally agree. Ottawa is a pretty insignificant franchise, but the games against them were very chippy. At least the Wings showed them whose the boss in the end. :)

I see it shifting towards Boston being our biggest rival. Their behavior in the playoffs was shameful, but so was the Wings performance.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Detroit's biggest rival right now is without any doubt Dan Cleary. This rivalry will go on for quite some time...

Gruß,
BSHH

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm a big fan of being in this division...love having games with the Bruins, Leafs and Habs and I like the Red Wing connections with the Sens (MacLean) and Lighting (Yzerman).

Top rival at the moment is Boston with the playoff battle with the Leafs close behind with the rebirth of that rivalry via the Winter Classic.

Chicago will always be a rivalry no matter how few times they meet up.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
With patty roy back in colorado I want the wings to beat the avs more than any other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad