AEG Sale Canceled / Leiweke Leaving Company / Kings Owners Not Changing

Captain Mittens*

Come on
We all have said worse about him
In a public forum.
As far as the email not really a big deal.
It is just the lawyers throwing a bunch of meaningless babble out there to confuse the issue. So Uncle Phil didnt want his employees scalping tickets. So Tmmay thought worring about empolyees tickets was silly. It still is not the reason MJ was injected with propranol
You don't day something about your boss like that. Especially over company email

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
You don't day something about your boss like that. Especially over company email

I agree he shouldn't have, but we've all made bad comments, especially to people we think we can trust, which I assume Leiweke thought in this case. Likely the only reason this seen the light of day was because of the Jackson issue.

I'd imagine a guy like Anschutz would look and that comment, look at the money/success Leiweke has brought it, and not even given the comment another look. Maybe told Leiweke to knock it off, that's it.

Assuming Leiweke was doing his job (at a rate above what I felt I could get elsewhere), I wouldn't give that comment any more thought.

Captain Mittens*

Seems far fetched. It took them 3 years to fire him? Was the email sent over Quest's network? ZING!

When lawsuits are filed, there is a period called discovery where all emails , etc. are subpoenaed and reviewed.
That might have been where Uncle Phil learned about it.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Phil Anschutz wanted nothing to do with the NFL and the stadium, that was all Leiweke's brainchild. Anschutz does not see eye-to-eye with the NFL's BOG, which is one reason why the NFL is reluctant to have a franchise in this city. The location of the proposed Farmers Field was also not very desirable, which is something Leiweke strongly pushed for.

?? What other location is more desirable? Next to Staples already has freeways and mass transit access.

Certainly not the Walnut site that Broad's group was pushing.

And Dodger stadium is in a terrible location as well.

Captain Mittens*

?? What other location is more desirable? Next to Staples already has freeways and mass transit access.
What about a Monday night game?

Also-The NFL did not like the site because of a lack of tailgating opportunity.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008

I think the NFL is fine with the location. They just dont want a team to relocate. They like having LA as an open market so teams can threaten to go there unless they get a better deal in whatever city is up for a new stadium or lease. TV ratings are still high in LA so nationally it doesnt hurt the other teams. Some day a city wont cave in to their team's demands and a team will be forced to move to LA but as long as everybody is making money where they are LA is out of luck and out of the NFL

That would happen one night a year, if that. Does every team even play on Monday night?

Traffic is/should be a non-issue when it comes to the NFL. There are 8 home games a year. Potentially 2 additional on top of that. Most of the games are on Sunday afternoons which are the lightest traffic periods of any day of the week. They could put the stadium just about anywhere and traffic should not be an issue.

I was actually curious about the tailgating aspect. I know Dodger Stadium doesn't let people tailgate and Anaheim Stadium got rid of drinking in the lot a few years ago. That is pretty ridiculous. Tailgating is a religon in other parts of the country. I was at the Winter Classic in Buffalo 5 years ago and I've NEVER seen anything like that. It was like HockeyPalooza.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

? You can always knock down more buildings for tailgating space. :)

It would be great to have a large open space for this - but I guess it would just be a part of the parking lot.

The last few years I've been going to some SD Chargers games (charter bus), and Qualcomm has a large tailgating section right next to the stadium. Of course to get a parking spot (or 5 or 6 for your group), they have to get there at 9:00 am. Tailgating is a whole lifestyle.

The coliseum has a good tailgating spot just east of the stadium. Unfortunately... the stadium sucks (oh yeah, that).

Jun 30, 2006
I guess we know now why Leiweke was fired. Not-so-kind remarks about his boss being disclosed as part of the Jackson trial.

"The chief executive of AEG referred to his own boss as a “paranoid scrooge” in an email exchange when the entertainment firm was preparing to promote Michael Jackson’s anticipated comeback tour in 2009.

Tim Leiweke, long the public face of AEG and an influential figure in Los Angeles, made the reference to Phillip Anschutz in a March 13, 2009, email to Randy Phillips, the chief executive of AEG Live, the company’s concert arm.

“Phil can be such a paranoid scrooge," Leiweke wrote, "He wants to know why I am so certain that none of our key folks are taking Michael Jackson tickets and scalping them.""

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-jackson-trial-leiweke-20130611,0,6813523.story

That's not why he was "fired".

Jun 30, 2006
Bazinga!

I still think it has more to do with the NFL deal he was trying to push through than anything else.

Had nothing to do with the NFL deal.

What it had to do was the fact Lieweke botched the sale of AEG and leveraged his AEG influence to get a piece of ownership. Phil Aunschutz got wind of what Lieweke was doing and he was let go immediately.

Ron*

Tim Leiweke Is An A-Hole

I know this interview came out a week ago, and the Times just now is picking up on it in a commentary, but they dug up an old comment, which I have found on the Internet. Amazing, huh?

This ****ing guy is a ****ing a-hole. That's all.

I lost all respect for him. He's nothing but a *****, who will say anything for his next trick.

Said Leiweke: “We didn’t see that in L.A., and we won the Stanley Cup. We finally saw it at the end. It took us getting to the finals in order to awaken that town. It’s not a hockey town.â€

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tim-leiweke-kings-nhl-20130614,0,1997135.story

“We have the most passionate and loyal fans in the National Hockey League and our goal is to continue to provide them with affordable ticket prices,†said then-Kings Chief Executive Officer Tim Leiweke.

http://www.kingshockey.com/articles.cfm?id=36

This quote was from late June 2006, when the Kings had finished a full six points out of a playoff spot.

So what this ****** is saying is the Kings fans were the most passionate and loyal fans in the league with a crappy team and when the team wins it all we are not?

What a lousy excuse for a human being. Total *****.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Tim once received a puck in the mail as a gift with a note attached that read "this is the kind of "ball" that they use in hockey, you should try to become more familiar with it now that you are president of a hockey team".

It came from someone at AEG. It was in reference to TL calling a hockey puck a "ball" for the first year of his time as President of the club. It was meant as a gentle joke at the time but it was also a sort of ribbing. True story.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
I know this interview came out a week ago, and the Times just now is picking up on it in a commentary, but they dug up an old comment, which I have found on the Internet. Amazing, huh?

This ****ing guy is a ****ing a-hole. That's all.

I lost all respect for him. He's nothing but a *****, who will say anything for his next trick.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tim-leiweke-kings-nhl-20130614,0,1997135.story

http://www.kingshockey.com/articles.cfm?id=36

This quote was from late June 2006, when the Kings had finished a full six points out of a playoff spot.

So what this ****** is saying is the Kings fans were the most passionate and loyal fans in the league with a crappy team and when the team wins it all we are not?

What a lousy excuse for a human being. Total *****.
One quote does not negate the other. Kings fans are loyal and passionate. The city of LA didn't notice until the Kings won a cup.

Ron*

One quote does not negate the other. Kings fans are loyal and passionate. The city of LA didn't notice until the Kings won a cup.

These are message bulletin boards, not debating venues. If you want to take my message literally and tear it apart, that is easy enough to do. But I think you know better than that.

So here we go. Take a look at LieWeasel's video:

Now, the interviewer asks him "what was his impression of Maple Leaf nation as they came out in blue and white?" Please note, he did not ask him "how does Maple Leaf nation compare with the lackluster Kings' fan base?"

Yet LieWeasel's comments are totally directed at fully disrespecting Kings' fans. He comes right out and says "We didn't have that in L.A." Why? Perhaps you can answer me that. Why not just say how much he respected the Leafs' fans furor? Why does he have to make it a point to disrespect Kings' fans?

And then he goes on to say how Toronto's passion was greater for an away playoff game then it ever was for "game 6, home ice, winning the Stanley Cup." Now, that is just flat out, unmitigated bull **** in the highest olfactory sense. This town's fans showed a tremendous amount of joy, happiness, and support during that game. I was there. I was also there for game 4 in the St. Louis series last season and game 2 in the San Jose series this season, and I have NEVER heard the crowd as loud as those two times.

Don't forget a couple of games in the 2001 Detroit series. Oh, and was the Forum ever louder during the Miracle on Manchester evening?

My whole point is he could have lauded Toronto's fans without having to compare our fans to theirs. That is just plain bush league, and petty in the extreme.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Whats funny to me is that TL fails to notice that in taking shots and the Kings fan base he only points out his own failures at doing a better job while here.

The reason we didn't have a ton of fans standing outside of Staples Center watching the game decked out in black and white? No free JumboTron. Who's fault was that Tim?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I guess Tim easily forgets the droves of Kings fans that still filled up Staples Center when his incompetent management led to the departures of Blake, Robitaille, Boucher, etc. and the Kings stunk and missed the playoffs from 2003-2009.

Whats funny to me is that TL fails to notice that in taking shots and the Kings fan base he only points out his own failures at doing a better job while here.

The reason we didn't have a ton of fans standing outside of Staples Center watching the game decked out in black and white? No free JumboTron. Who's fault was that Tim?

I could be wrong but I thought the NHL/NBC won't allow it because they wanted the TV ratings. I remember reading that somewhere. I would guess they can do it in Canada because they are not in the NBC market.

Ron*

I could be wrong but I thought the NHL/NBC won't allow it because they wanted the TV ratings. I remember reading that somewhere. I would guess they can do it in Canada because they are not in the NBC market.

If that's true, then LieWeasel is being even MORE disingenuous. He would have known that, and STILL used the Toronto crowd as "evidence" in his slander against Kings fans. What an absolute POS.

Captain Mittens*

If that's true, then LieWeasel is being even MORE disingenuous. He would have known that, and STILL used the Toronto crowd as "evidence" in his slander against Kings fans. What an absolute POS.

He's a master at telling people what they want to hear. I don't know if you have ever met him, but he's very charismatic. (Kinda like Bill Clinton)

Most Kings fans have seen through his facade for years, but I'll admit that I fell for his **** back in the day.
I think it was around 97. That Jim Rome had him on his local show and he was talking about Staples and how they'd struck ground and how it was 1200% private financing an the Kings 5 year plan and how they weren't going to trade any draft picks or prospects. And how Aki Berg was going to win 8 consecutive Norrises and how he'll be better than Rob Blake and how Scott Barney is the next Brendan Shanahan, etc

**** him

I thought the fans showing up to greet the players after the Conference finals was a great showing by Kings fans. I wouldn't have expected that many to show up. I'm not sure how common that is here in LA with other sports or anywhere else for that matter.

In regards to the TV outside of Staples, they used show the games out there even during the regular season. I'm pretty sure it was the Foxsports telecast too. Something changed about 6 or 7 years ago... or maybe around the time LA Live came about? Or maybe when Foxsports got rid of their studio/bar that was in the front of the building? I remember when I would get to games late you could check the score and watch a few seconds of it as you went into the game.

I did try to google for the answer to that and I did stumble across a Yahoo Answers question on it in Pittsburgh back in 2009. Someone did mention that NBC wouldn't allow it but Versus would. Now that NBC owns Versus (NBC Sports), they may have nixed any possibility of that happening in the US. I'm not really sure but either way, if they showed the road games outside LA Live last year, I would have been there. I was there watching a few of them at bars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad