Advice: Advice for 2 on 1's

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I'm a new player and strugging with reading the plays on 2 on 1's.

Any advice on how to approach the situation? I usually end up either shooting or trying a pass to the other forward (which usually gets picked off)

If I don't have the puck I either crash the net or try and get open on the left faceoff dot, but struggle to get a free passing lanes.

Any advice on the basics and maybe work up from there?

wils5150

Mar 19, 2014
massachusetts
have some space between you and your team mate. if you are to close together it makes it easier for the d man to cover you both. If you have the puck try looking off the d man. he may take the bait and think you are passing. you really have to be ready to pass or shoot in a instance.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
On a 2 on 1, I shoot 90% of the time. I only pass if my teammate is on his forehand and if I don't have to do a saucer pass.

If I'm on my proper wing, I look at my teammate which makes the D-man and the goalie think I'm going to pass. Then, a quick snapper to the top corner does it.

If I'm on my off wing, I aim for the 5 hole or low blocker.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Depends on the level you are playing at. For me, when I sub for lower level teams, I'll almost always force the player with the puck to pass. IMO, for lower level players, it's harder to pass the puck successfully, have their teammate receive the puck successfully then allowing the player with the puck to shoot, and have that teammate beat my goalie .

Offensively, spacing, as others have said is key, and use your head/eyes to your advantage.

Last edited:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
If I have the puck and there's a passing lane open, I'll dish it most of the time rather than shoot, because the other guy is open and I'm not.

If the passing lane is blocked, I'll shoot or drive the net and shoot.

When I do pass I'll then cut right to the net and be ready for any return pass that comes back again, which does depend on the skill level of who you're playing with if it's likely to eventuate or not.

One thing I tend to do when the other guy has the puck which is probably all wrong is slow down and stay a little higher as we enter the zone. I figure the defender then has to also stay or play higher if they want to try and take the pass away from the carrier as an option. If they don't I'm still open or if they do play the passing lane then the guy with the puck has more space.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If I have the puck and there's a passing lane open, I'll dish it most of the time rather than shoot, because the other guy is open and I'm not.

When I do pass I'll then cut right to the net and be ready for any return pass that comes back again, which does depend on the skill level of who you're playing with if it's likely to eventuate or not.

One thing I tend to do when the other guy has the puck which is probably all wrong is slow down and stay a little higher as we enter the zone. I figure the defender then has to also stay or play higher if they want to try and take the pass away from the carrier as an option. If they don't I'm still open or if they do play the passing lane then the guy with the puck has more space.

I agree with this completely.

And I have the exact same tendency minus the slowing down part, in part because I'm not the fastest guy out there, but also because at the level I play the goaltenders rebound control in general isn't that stellar and I'll generally have a strong chance at generating a much better scoring chance off the rebound then whatever happened on the initial opportunity. Also leaves me wide open for an easy drop pass in the slot if the defender decides to play the shooter instead of neutralizing me as a possible scoring option.

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014

^^ Third this. If the d is playing the passing lane, I usually use an eye fake to throw the goalie off by staring at the other (covered) forward's tape. Then I shoot near side, while still looking at the other guy's stick. A lot of goalies will start cheating over, and that whole nearside opens up.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Thanks for the responses, I think I was looking to pass far too often - even when the defender was in the passing lane. I think I need to just start shooting more! I was overly paranoid of looking selfish I guess, but a bad shot is better than a failed pass, put the puck on net and good things will happen as they say.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
As a goalie, most guys try the pass way too much, high and low level alike. Everyone wants to make the pretty play for the empty net tap in, but the smart play is indeed to shoot. Most beer league goalies - myself included - aren't going to stop everything short of a perfect shot the way the pros do. If you have a clear shot from the faceoff dots in, you'll have a good scoring chance on your hands whether you have a pass available or not.

Tacks92's strategy is a good one. Make like your looking to pass and then shoot shortside. Goalies will instinctively cheat because, just like their skater counterparts, we want to make the flashy play too in stopping a one-timer. And I won't speak for others, but I generally don't completely trust my defenseman like I should, making me cheat a bit rather than take the shot completely.

Another option would be to simply skate in and fire one hard low far side, trying to "pass off the pads" and generate a rebound to your teammate.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm a new player and strugging with reading the plays on 2 on 1's.

Any advice on how to approach the situation? I usually end up either shooting or trying a pass to the other forward (which usually gets picked off)

If I don't have the puck I either crash the net or try and get open on the left faceoff dot, but struggle to get a free passing lanes.

Any advice on the basics and maybe work up from there?

As an attacker...
With the puck:
On strong side - I'd honestly probably look to make the pass, and hope for a give and go to get the tip in back.
On offwing - take the shot low and try to hope the other guy is driving the net for the rebound.
Without the puck:
On strong side - if you can, be aware of whether the second defender is near you or not. If he isn't, look to receive the pass and give it back for the tip in. If he is - go hard to the net and go for the tip in.
On offwing - set up for the Brett Hull classic.

As a defender...
Cover the passing lane!

As a goalie...
Focus on the shooter because the defender should be doing the above.

ekm01

Sep 24, 2014
If i have the puck, ill usually look at my teammate. As i get to the top of the circles, ill take a peek at the goalie (to see if he's square to the shot, or cheating on the pass). If the goalie is out of position ill likely take the shot. If he's square I'll look to pass, also depending on the D's positioning.

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
If you don’t have a good passing opportunity and either don’t have a good shooting opportunity or if your pushed too wide by the D I like to hit the brakes and see what trailing teammates you can hit with a pass. You may also create a great lane to rifle a shot off. Can be very effective.

getzforfighting*

On 2 on 1's my go to is to toe-drag the puck and shoot through the dmans legs if he comes over to challenge me. If he doens't come over, i still do the toe and shoot shortside every time.

If I don't have the puck, I'm gunning for the back post, and opening myself up if i'm on my opposite side.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
from a goalie's perspective, take what the defense gives you. I say defense because you got to factor the goalie in the thought process.

If the defender has his stick taking away your path to the net, pass the puck same if he isn't really focusing on the passing lane with his stick.

If the defender is selling out on the pass, then start looking at the goalie. If he is cheating the pass fire a shot short side. If he is playing you straight up and you don't see any obvious holes, fire a low shot to his far pad. The thought process here is that if it doesn't go in, it will give your partner a great rebound opportunity and work just as well as a pass

murrpac

Feb 23, 2015
With the puck: if the d gives you a lane to the net - take it. If your teammate has an open lane to the net - give it to him. If the d is playing you tight - put it in a spot your teammate can get it (soft pass to open area he can get to, hard off the tendy's pads, stop up or change your angle, saucer, etc). Personally, if the d is playing me tight i'll take it wide to allow my teammate more open space up the middle and look for a chance to feed it over. If your teammate is trailing and nothing is doing cross it up - if the d takes you drop it off to him. If nothing is open - shoot!

Without the puck: Get in an open lane - you can`t pass through someone. If your off wing and leading the puck carrier - open up (square to your teammate). This allows for a larger passing area and an easier one timer. If he doesn't pass - stop a couple feet out and off to your side for a pass or rebound (still square). If he`s in tight still with the puck back off to the slot (opening the lane again). Strong side leading - bust hard towards the post. If you get an early pass deek or shoot. If you get a late pass try to deflect it in. If you`re trailing - find an open lane and look for a pass or watch the direction of the shot and try to get in the right area for the rebound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad