Boston Bruins Advanced Stat Thread

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Guess we're seeing where the limitations are with advanced stats. Numbers only, Gryz is an easy start yesterday. But the guy coach wants and needs in that spot is Forbort (despite the advanced stats).

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Guess we're seeing where the limitations are with advanced stats. Numbers only, Gryz is an easy start yesterday. But the guy coach wants and needs in that spot is Forbort (despite the advanced stats).
In fairness to the guys in this thread who don't like Forbort, he was a turnover machine in their own end, probably made worse by how rusty he was.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
The entire D was not so hot, everyone one of them where turning pucks over. Worrying about a third pair D is a luxury. If I was concerned with a D man it would have been Lindholm. HE was terrible and slow to boot.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

How badly has this topic eaten away at you that you felt the need to make this post?

And you didn't even wait for a good example. Forbort was ass last night.

Reactions: NDiesel

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
" Derek Forbort returned to the lineup after missing a month with a lower-body injury. Matt Grzelcyk was a healthy scratch on the back end. "Well, Forby's so good at a D-zone coverage and his penalty kill, and he showed that today," said Montgomery. "And down the stretch there with the last 4-5 minutes, he's out there with [Brandon] Carlo killing a lot of important minutes for us, especially in a pulled-goalie situation."

Coach gave Forbort's performance a thumbs up.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
" Derek Forbort returned to the lineup after missing a month with a lower-body injury. Matt Grzelcyk was a healthy scratch on the back end. "Well, Forby's so good at a D-zone coverage and his penalty kill, and he showed that today," said Montgomery. "And down the stretch there with the last 4-5 minutes, he's out there with [Brandon] Carlo killing a lot of important minutes for us, especially in a pulled-goalie situation."

Coach gave Forbort's performance a thumbs up.

What does he know?

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
The best is the couch crew second guessing the Jack Adams coach. But I guess that's sports. We all do it sometimes.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I like how in one thread we talk about how many "mind games" coaches play in the playoffs, but here we fully believe Gryz is a healthy scratch just because it fits the narrative we want.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm conflicted

Gryz is much better than Forbort overall, but I really don't like the idea of putting a Gryz-Clifton pairing out in the playoffs to get taken advantage of by bigger forwards. But Orlov's gelled with McAvoy on the top pair and Monty's not taking him off that to play 3rd pair with Cliffy.

Reactions: PlayMakers

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
While I feel Forbort should be the odd man out why is there so much butthurt that Grizz is a scratch? They have continually tried to replace him with bigger defensemen and obviously don’t get all caught up in these analytics. I guess they use them to a point?

When you have orlov and Lindholm there to kill penalties it baffles me why you would sit a far superior 5v5 player in Grizz who generates a shitload of offense and chances.

Reactions: PB37

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While I feel Forbort should be the odd man out why is there so much butthurt that Grizz is a scratch? They have continually tried to replace him with bigger defensemen and obviously don’t get all caught up in these analytics. I guess they use them to a point?

When you have orlov and Lindholm there to kill penalties it baffles me why you would sit a far superior 5v5 player in Grizz who generated a shitload of offense and chances.

Well to some degree have Forbort allows you to reduce some of the high stress load of penalty killing on Lindholm/Orlov, allowing them to contribute more in other areas.

I thought the Cliffy/Gryz pairing was pretty awful down the stretch of the season

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well to some degree have Forbort allows you to reduce some of the high stress load of penalty killing on Lindholm/Orlov, allowing them to contribute more in other areas.

I thought the Cliffy/Gryz pairing was pretty awful down the stretch of the season
I agree. You can’t play them together and Montgomery seems to have huge reservations allowing Grizz to play top 4 playoff minutes for whatever reason.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree. You can’t play them together and Montgomery seems to have huge reservations allowing Grizz to play top 4 playoff minutes for whatever reason.

As did the previous coach.

Honestly I want my 4 best to play the majority of the minutes in postseason, and that means
Orlov/McAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Realistically, you can’t really play Forbort/Clifton together either if we’re being objective. Forbort was bad last night - again - coachspeak notwithstanding.

I’m not butthurt he’s not playing I just think it’s the wrong move. Forbort playing over Grizz doesn’t change my opinion that he’s not a good defenseman even if (and to some degree because of) he gets hit with pucks a lot.

Reactions: LouJersey

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

The minutes last night prove just this. Hampus only needed to play 20 mins. Pretty reasonable for a game that was close the whole way.

Forbort was up over 17 mins.

Btw if the only measure is the 2 giveaways Forbort had, sure, he played "bad". But the work he did all night in front of the Bruins net was pretty spectacular. The Panthers attacked that area ferociously and we needed his push back. A lot of pucks that could have been rebounds or tips were cleared out. That adds up. So do his blocks.

I guess by game 3-4 we'll see how coach adjusts. My guess is Forbort goes again tomorrow.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The minutes last night prove just this. Hampus only needed to play 20 mins. Pretty reasonable for a game that was close the whole way.

Hampus had his worst game I can remember as a Bruin. Most likely under the weather. So sure I guess in this situation Forbort could take his PK minutes. I don’t think that’s a good play usually, and I think Forbort playing 17 minutes is a terrible thing.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Btw if the only measure is the 2 giveaways Forbort had, sure, he played "bad". But the work he did all night in front of the Bruins net was pretty spectacular. The Panthers attacked that area ferociously and we needed his push back. A lot of pucks that could have been rebounds or tips were cleared out. That adds up. So do his blocks.

I guess by game 3-4 we'll see how coach adjusts. My guess is Forbort goes again tomorrow.

Then Orlov and McAvoy were even worse. And everyone agrees that Lindholm had a bad game.

So, thank God for Ullmark.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Only Bruin with more short handed time in that game than Forbort, was Carlo.

Charlie and Hampus only needed 40s of SH time each. Forbort is going to be a PK minute eater, and the PK certainly didn't look worse for it.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3