Advanced Analytics in Football:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Been interested in Advanced stats in sports for a while now, more recently getting into the realm of analytics in soccer/football. What are peoples favourite/ least favourite stats to track, and evaluate players with? Also what are some advanced stats people want to introduce to the sport?

Moral of the Story, lets talk stats!

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Sadly - as far as I know - not nearly as much good analytics work is publicly available as in hockey, much less other American professional leagues. You'd think it would be easy enough to make publicly available things like on/off or relative team xG, or goalkeeper xG vs. actual goals conceded - like there is in hockey - but you can only find that in bits and pieces when a stats person writes an article. There isn't a soccer site like Corsica where you can explore those things yourself.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Sadly - as far as I know - not nearly as much good analytics work is publicly available as in hockey, much less other American professional leagues. You'd think it would be easy enough to make publicly available things like on/off or relative team xG, or goalkeeper xG vs. actual goals conceded - like there is in hockey - but you can only find that in bits and pieces when a stats person writes an article. There isn't a soccer site like Corsica where you can explore those things yourself.

There are some accounts stating that top teams have made their own analytics and databases with their own weights on them per league that apply to practically every player out there, which is why they never sign players based on the WC and other tournaments anymore. Too bad no good soul will share those databases with the world because I would love to see one of them.

So it's safe to say soccer is still very much reliant on the eye test

To top teams, no. Unfortunately to fans, yes.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Been interested in Advanced stats in sports for a while now, more recently getting into the realm of analytics in soccer/football. What are peoples favourite/ least favourite stats to track, and evaluate players with? Also what are some advanced stats people want to introduce to the sport?

Moral of the Story, lets talk stats!
The only advanced stat, as in new stat, I know is packing. It's how many opposing players are passed with pass that gets you closer to the goal. Of course, that mostly useful for evaluating defenders and midfielders. The further back you sit, the better you can be, obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad