Adult Hockey Prep at Chelsea Rink NYC

mzungu

Nov 16, 2009
New York
Hi everyone! I need some advise.

I've been attending Adult Polar Bear learn-to-play sessions at City Ice Pavilion in Queens, NY once a week for just over 2 months. I really like it and want to improve to maybe try some lowest division hockey in not very distant future. But once a week is not really enough to step up your game and gain new skills fast.

My biggest issue is skating which I want to improve. I can skate forward, backwards, do stops and crossovers. So I've found Adult Hockey Prep at Chelsea Rink Monday nights. You have to pre-register for the remaining sessions (in my case it costs $240) and once you do it the money won't be refunded. So my question is - if anyone ever attended those session could you please advise if they could be helpful or they are for beginners who could hardly skate? Don't want to spend this much money without knowing I could improve my skating. Thanks

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
It's for everyone, no matter level. They do focus on skating, but the direction of the sessions goes in cycles (at least it used to) - one week might might not even have pucks on the ice while the next could be simple rush plays.

So skating is always something they stress, but sometimes in conjunction with hockey plays. If you're primary goal is to really hone/put emphasis on skating, take a power skating lesson. They do absolute wonders.

adamkesher

May 9, 2012
I'm signed up for this starting June 16. I heard decent things from the guys at Westside. Hoping it helps me get back on the horse.

steevdeadman

Feb 25, 2014
Boogie Down Bronx
I am taking skating lessons at Chelsea piers... I've got my forward skating down pretty good, but I'm super weak backwards. I have about three more weeks of lessons in skating, should I be thinking about hockey prep right after (if my backwards skating shapes up) or should I take more lessons?

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
I did them last summer, but we never had pucks on the ice, it was strictly skating. They were decent drills, but we had 1/3 sheet of ice for 2 groups (beginer & advanced) so certain things were limited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad