Adult Hockey Leagues

TopPred

Nov 21, 2013
New to the area and really started watching and enjoying hockey.
I have been to several Nashville Predators games and love it.
Anyway i am thinking about playing hockey for fun and to stay in shape in an adult league.

Any tips or advice from anyone who plays or who has played...

I am knew to the sport and i have an idea of rules and concepts but i do not know the details of shooting, puckhandling, or skating. Is their leagues for brand new people like me? What are the best steps to take to get started and learn.

Thanks in advance! Go Preds!!!

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
New to the area and really started watching and enjoying hockey.
I have been to several Nashville Predators games and love it.
Anyway i am thinking about playing hockey for fun and to stay in shape in an adult league.

Any tips or advice from anyone who plays or who has played...

I am knew to the sport and i have an idea of rules and concepts but i do not know the details of shooting, puckhandling, or skating. Is their leagues for brand new people like me? What are the best steps to take to get started and learn.

Thanks in advance! Go Preds!!!

Hope this helps

I guess I'd start at Lower C, but that's just me.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I'm starting my first ever ice league in January at Centennial. Beginner's league Lower C level. You should play. No experience needed.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It would be hard to get on a team at Centennial right now. Winter/Spring sesssion has already started and they aren't doing a summer session next summer as they have to close the rink to completely redo both rinks.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
It would be hard to get on a team at Centennial right now. Winter/Spring sesssion has already started and they aren't doing a summer session next summer as they have to close the rink to completely redo both rinks.

Really? Registration doesn't even begin until December 7th so how is it filled up already? The league doesn't start until January 4th.

TopPred

Nov 21, 2013
Hope this helps

I guess I'd start at Lower C, but that's just me.

Thanks for responding guys. Dave i have looked at that link i appreciate you passing it along though.
I was wanting more of peoples personal experience and if they had any ideas on how to get started and not look like a complete noob. I mean i haven't ice skated in years and when i did it was hold onto the wall and then i could skate without busting my can straight and turning slowly.
I mean are beginner leagues that basic or do i need to take some skating lessons and try to find some hockey schools?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Really? Registration doesn't even begin until December 7th so how is it filled up already? The league doesn't start until January 4th.
The payments for each session are split but they don't add new teams at the mid point. Or they have not in the past.

If you're getting on a roster, generally it's an existing roster someone is filling.

TopPred

Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the link. I have seen that but i was just wanting more of people personal experience and if they have any advice. I mean i haven't skated in years and that was at a public skate slowly going straight.
Are beginner leagues that basic or do i need to get into some skating and and hockey classes. Are any in this area even offered?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Beginner levels are basic but you should know completely how to skate before you try to play hockey if you want to truly enjoy the game. There are all sorts of stick and puck or public skates that will allow you to learn to skate. You don't have to be fast but basic moves, transitions and stops should be mandatory.

Most of the leagues are good, you have the weekend hero though in every league that will show his ass from time to time. I'll apologize in advanced for Fish, Ryan and hipcheck.

TopPred

Nov 21, 2013
Thanks Trigg. What do you mean by stick and puck or public skates. I know what public skate is but no idea on the other two

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Beginner levels are basic but you should know completely how to skate before you try to play hockey if you want to truly enjoy the game. There are all sorts of stick and puck or public skates that will allow you to learn to skate. You don't have to be fast but basic moves, transitions and stops should be mandatory.

Most of the leagues are good, you have the weekend hero though in every league that will show his ass from time to time. I'll apologize in advanced for Fish, Ryan and hipcheck.

ya ya ya. I think I finally took over the lead in PIMs since you haven't played in a while.

I will echo what most are stating. Be able to skate a little bit and turn both ways. You can get out there and stand and move with zombie legs, but the game isn't any fun like that. Hit some open skates for a few weeks, get your legs under you. Hit a stick or puck session and sign up at A game or centennial.

Shea Weber

May 13, 2011
Nashville
Thanks for responding guys. Dave i have looked at that link i appreciate you passing it along though.
I was wanting more of peoples personal experience and if they had any ideas on how to get started and not look like a complete noob. I mean i haven't ice skated in years and when i did it was hold onto the wall and then i could skate without busting my can straight and turning slowly.
I mean are beginner leagues that basic or do i need to take some skating lessons and try to find some hockey schools?

I'm right with you here. I'm 32 and have ice skated once in my life YEARS ago. I love the game and would love to learn to skate, and eventually join a beginner league. I'm pretty athletic and feel I can pick up basic skating with practice, but don't know where to start. Guess open skates is the way to go but need someone who knows what they are doing as a coach.

Good luck to you.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Do they not have classes at the rink? I'm in north Alabama so I don't know what's around Nashville, but when I started wanting to play hockey I signed up for some classes that Point Mallard (the local rink) had on Saturday mornings. It helped me a ton. I had been on ice skates maybe a half-dozen times in my life prior to that, all as a child and all basically involving me on rental skates pulling myself along by the boards. Now I'm a halfway decent rec league player. I'm never going to get called up to the NHL but I'm not embarrassed to get out and play with anyone in a beer league.

If you can find a class with an instructor, it really does help you get started.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I'm right with you here. I'm 32 and have ice skated once in my life YEARS ago. I love the game and would love to learn to skate, and eventually join a beginner league. I'm pretty athletic and feel I can pick up basic skating with practice, but don't know where to start. Guess open skates is the way to go but need someone who knows what they are doing as a coach.

Good luck to you.

A friend of mine in Dallas who couldn't skate at all started playing adult hockey.

He went and took skating classes. And despite the embarrassment of doing so, he did it in full hockey gear. Socks, pants, knee pads, gloves, helmet, everything. He was out there with the 7-year old girls in sweatpants and fluffy pink sweaters in his full hockey outfit.

He did that because he felt it allowed him to progress much more quickly. He wasn't scared to death of the infamous backwards, bust-your-tailbone fall, or even the backwards bang-your-head-on-the-ice fall. He was able to work harder without as much worry of getting hurt.

That makes sense to me. If I ever decide to give adult hockey a try, I think that's how I would approach learning to skate.

Last edited:

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Skating is by far the most important skill to learn when beginning to play hockey. Go to open skate everyday if you can for a few weeks and practice crossovers, stopping, backwards skating, etc. If you have the money, take skating lessons.

Once you feel comfortable on skates and can stop, try stick and puck to get used to a stick. Then open hockey to get used to game flow.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I'll post this here since no one answered on a different thread. Where do you all buy your stuff from? I just finished my first inline league a couple of weeks ago and have all equipment minus hockey skates (ice). I would rather try on pairs so I know what fits and how comfortable I am and with a place to sharpen and bake than order online for this item. Are there any good shops in Nashville to try on skates?

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I'm sure there's a skate shop somewhere in Nashville. Skate fit is super important. They're literally the foundation for your entire game. Try them on if at all possible. Even if you pay a little more in a shop than you would online, it's worth it to make sure you're getting a skate that fits your individual needs and feet. My perfect skate probably won't be the same as yours because our feet probably aren't exactly alike.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I'm sure there's a skate shop somewhere in Nashville. Skate fit is super important. They're literally the foundation for your entire game. Try them on if at all possible. Even if you pay a little more in a shop than you would online, it's worth it to make sure you're getting a skate that fits your individual needs and feet. My perfect skate probably won't be the same as yours because our feet probably aren't exactly alike.

That's exactly why I want to try them on. I didn't try any of my other equipment on because I ordered online and my shin pads are a size too big really, but with tape they stay up fine. But with skates, I don't want to take any chances. Plus I have wide feet.

Also, I found what looked like a perfect shop awhile back online called Miracle Hockey or something. Well, my brother and cousin drove all the way down there to check it out and there was a sign on the door saying they closed shop. So I really have no idea of any shops in the Nashville area, only ice rinks.

Last edited:

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
That's exactly why I want to try them on. I didn't try any of my other equipment on because I ordered online and my shin pads are a size too big really, but with tape they stay up fine. But with skates, I don't want to take any chances. Plus I have wide feet.

Also, I found what looked like a perfect shop awhile back online called Miracle Hockey or something. Well, my brother and cousin drove all the way down there to check it out and there was a sign on the door saying they closed shop. So I really have no idea of any shops in the Nashville area, only ice rinks.

Well there's always Skate World, the pro shop at the ice rink in Huntsville AL. That's the only place I know for sure but that's because I live in Alabama. If they don't have skates in your size (they're not a huge shop and if you have really wide feet they might not have your size in stock) they can still measure your feet and give you some recommendations. If you go that route, though, make sure you go when Mike, the store owner, is in so you can have him do it. Some of the other clerks are good, but you don't want to catch a new guy and end up with poorly-sized skates.

Basher

\

Quoted for truth...especially Fish. ;)

I really, really enjoyed playing in the leagues in Nashville. I'd 2nd what Trigg says, skating is the most important thing. Everything else will come as you play, but skating is something you need to come in with, to really enjoy it.

Basher

Play-it-Again sports has some new and used gear. The pro shop in centennial is fine, but expensive. When I was in Nashville, I got most of my stuff online and sent it back if it didn't fit. Takes longer but I didn't overpay!

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Well I called Centennial today and they are out of most common sized skates right now. hmmm. Any other ideas? I'd like to get out and about on Black Friday and try some on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad