Adult hockey...for noobs

goatt

Aug 17, 2007
Hey guys. I love watching hockey and playing NHL 09 on my 360. It got me thinking why I don't play in real life. My question is, is it possible for an adult to find other new 'wanna-be' players to play with? I can't imagine there are so many adults who are wanting to learn how to play at any given time in my area that it would be enough to start even two teams.

How did you get started playing hockey (if you weren't a kid when you learned)?

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
give us an idea where you live and then maybe someone can help. lots of people start later in life. how old are you? ever skated at all? on a pond, at open skate? ever been on rollerblades. give us some idea of where you're at.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
If you wanna get your feet wet with out committing to a team and a season, open hockey (pick up games held at local rinks) is a great way to do it. It's also a casual environment where nothing is at stake, so any beginners mistakes aren't gonna frustrate you or take the fun out of it.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
Check your local rink for adult learn to skate/learn to play hockey. I started playing at the young age of 33 and played with guys who started at 42 and 52 respectively.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Look around... I've seen a ton of options for adult beginners in my area (GTA)

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
If you wanna get your feet wet with out committing to a team and a season, open hockey (pick up games held at local rinks) is a great way to do it. It's also a casual environment where nothing is at stake, so any beginners mistakes aren't gonna frustrate you or take the fun out of it.

Yep ... most rinks have pick up "shinny" hockey games for anyone who has equipment.

More experienced players do not care if a guy is on the ice for the first time either.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Easiest thing to do is find any rinks near you and start asking if they do classes, or have open stick n puck times and if they have beginner adult leagues. Get comfortable on the ice with skating through that stuff then join up with the league when you feel comfortable enough with skating. Being able to skate is the biggest step really for learning how to play hockey.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If there's a rink in your town, odds are there's an adult league.Depending on the size of the area you're in, there will be more levels, and possibly adult classes.

Contact your local rinks and see what they have to offer.

goatt

Aug 17, 2007
Just wanna thank you all for your replies first and foremost.

I'm 29. I can ice skate without falling but not hockey stop or go backwards well...I own skates. I can rollerblade a little better than ice skate. I live near an icerink (palice.com) that has open stick times. Maybe I'll buy a stick and puck or two and just go out and play and see what happens. What I don't want is to end up being the only adult playing a bunch of kids (like Kramer taking karate lessons from Seinfeld) :naughty:

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

I'm 29. I can ice skate without falling but not hockey stop or go backwards well...I own skates. I can rollerblade a little better than ice skate. I live near an icerink (palice.com) that has open stick times. Maybe I'll buy a stick and puck or two and just go out and play and see what happens. What I don't want is to end up being the only adult playing a bunch of kids (like Kramer taking karate lessons from Seinfeld) :naughty:

Some of the rinks near me have stick time at really early times in the morning and just before close, so you can make sure you're one of the only people playing.

AlexK

Dec 26, 2007
I'm right by Palisades as well and skate there pretty frequently..

I think the best thing for you to do is go to some of the stick times over there to get your feet under you and get a basic feel for the puck. After that, start coming on Tuesday nights to the clinic. It starts at 10PM and it's 20 bucks for 1 hr of drills and 1 hr scrimmage. There are people of ALL levels and ages so you wont feel out of place. Hope to see you there!

And feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!

goatt

Aug 17, 2007
I'm right by Palisades as well and skate there pretty frequently..

I think the best thing for you to do is go to some of the stick times over there to get your feet under you and get a basic feel for the puck. After that, start coming on Tuesday nights to the clinic. It starts at 10PM and it's 20 bucks for 1 hr of drills and 1 hr scrimmage. There are people of ALL levels and ages so you wont feel out of place. Hope to see you there!

And feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!

Thanks Alex! It's funny I just went to the website to check out the schedule, and the website appears to be in a state of disrepair. Next time I'm there (which will be September anyway) I'll go in and grab a schedule. I'll have to buy a stick first anyway.

Muttley*

Thanks Alex! It's funny I just went to the website to check out the schedule, and the website appears to be in a state of disrepair. Next time I'm there (which will be September anyway) I'll go in and grab a schedule. I'll have to buy a stick first anyway.

Yeah, the Palisades Center website stinks. It's never updated. If you call, you either get a live person or a recording of all the daily events. They almost always have stick time and public skating on a daily basis.

Open hockey is several times per week and is probably the best place to learn. Don't worry, there are people of all skill levels playing.

Believe it or not, some people have been playing for years still don't know how to stop, skate backwards, jump over the boards etc.

Lososaurus

Oct 28, 2008
California
Find a good group and play together regularly. Particularly a group with a wide gamut of skill that is willing to teach and be taught.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC

I was in your exact shoes two years ago (also 29).

Started playing outdoor roller with a group of beginners, was good for getting into the flow. I had played street/ball before, so it was about getting used to these glidey things on my feet.

Then took level 1 power skating to learn how to stop, turn, pivot, backwards, etc. Emphasis on learn, not necessarily master. That's come over time the more I play.

Then started playing adult league in bottom divisions. I played on two teams during that first winter. Just finished on three teams this summer. Will be playing two teams again this winter. That's really where I've been putting together things the most from what I learned in power skating.

The short version, don't sweat it. Get the gear (don't need expensive ****), find a course to learn how to hockey skate, find some drop-in or casual group to play with, find a bottom div team to play on. Just give'r!

You won't regret it, I'm loving it. :yo:

AlexK

Dec 26, 2007
Yeah, the Palisades Center website stinks. It's never updated. If you call, you either get a live person or a recording of all the daily events. They almost always have stick time and public skating on a daily basis.

Open hockey is several times per week and is probably the best place to learn. Don't worry, there are people of all skill levels playing.

Believe it or not, some people have been playing for years still don't know how to stop, skate backwards, jump over the boards etc.

Yeah their website is horrible. Best bet is to call definitely.

Muttley - you skate at open or clinics over there?

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
The short version, don't sweat it. Get the gear (don't need expensive ****), find a course to learn how to hockey skate, find some drop-in or casual group to play with, find a bottom div team to play on. Just give'r!

You won't regret it, I'm loving it. :yo:

Bolded part is very important. For one thing, skate rinks won't let you on the ice for stick & puck practice without a helmet. Second, expect to fall a lot in the beginning. With proper gear you'll be well protected. Without proper gear you'll be well bruised.

But definitely give it a try. I started playing pickup hockey with a group of friends in my early 30's and it's one of the best things I've done for myself. I still have plenty to learn but each year (probably 6 so far) I get a little better. Good luck!

csohio

Jan 31, 2009
You sound just like me....I'm 33 and started in May 2009. I knew how to skate but was not advanced. I found that to play hockey at most rinks (stick and puck, drop in, or a class) you would need full equipment. I bought used equipment from craigslist and had to buy some new as well that got me started. I spent a total of $250 (pads, skates, bag, sticks, jerseys and socks). Now that I am confident I want to continue with hockey, I plan to buy some new skates and a new helmet. Over time, as I wear out what I have, I will probably replace most of the used gear I bought.

I have been taking hockey classes once a week and have done quite well; the class has levels of players that range from just starting out to playing for several years. The one thing I found is that everyone has been very helpful and encouraging. I just went to my first drop in last week; there were seven players on the ice and everyone was way more advanced than me (probably B and C level). As I got on the ice I was worried that these guys would not want me on the ice because they were so much more advanced than I. But what I found was they were coaching me along and passing me the puck encouraging me to take the puck to the net. They were also skating circles around me! But it was a good experience and pushed me to use the skills I developed over the last 3 months.

Get out there and try it. I would suggest getting some used equipment and taking a beginner hockey class at your local rink. The class has taught me basic stick handling techniques, how to hockey stop, how to play different positions, shooting, passing, ect. I am learning the fundamentals which drop in hockey or stick and puck probably will not teach you. I (along with about 15 of the same people) keep signing up for the same 8 week class. It is a great way to improve.

Good luck.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I would recommend an Adult beginner league over shinny.

There is a probable chance you could end up with a bunch of jerks. (the ultimate players who just werent given the chance)

Shinny imo as probably turned off more beginners then anything else.

P.S Not saying every shinny is like that.

Muttley*

Yeah their website is horrible. Best bet is to call definitely.

Muttley - you skate at open or clinics over there?

It's become one of my favorite places for open, if and when I can make it. I sometimes do attend stick time and bring my son along. I tend to stick to open hockey, my adult league at another rink, public skating and stick time. I just love to be on the ice, whenever I can fit it in with my family commitments.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Bolded part is very important. For one thing, skate rinks won't let you on the ice for stick & puck practice without a helmet. Second, expect to fall a lot in the beginning. With proper gear you'll be well protected. Without proper gear you'll be well bruised.

Indeed. In power skating, the instructor pushed us to stop worrying about falling. We spent hundreds of dollars on pads. It's not how many times you fall, it's getting back up and trying again that counts. Eventually you will get better.

I would recommend an Adult beginner league over shinny.

There is a probable chance you could end up with a bunch of jerks. (the ultimate players who just werent given the chance)

Shinny imo as probably turned off more beginners then anything else.

P.S Not saying every shinny is like that.

If you can find shiny/dropin for beginners, you're set. Found a regular group here recently and it's been great.

Definitely try to start with people of similar skill level. It'll be more fun.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Hey guys. I love watching hockey and playing NHL 09 on my 360. It got me thinking why I don't play in real life. My question is, is it possible for an adult to find other new 'wanna-be' players to play with? I can't imagine there are so many adults who are wanting to learn how to play at any given time in my area that it would be enough to start even two teams.

How did you get started playing hockey (if you weren't a kid when you learned)?

Depends on where you live. There are adult beginner programs in some places to teach you low level shinny. Or maybe floor hockey leagues would be a better fit. You should google "beginner hockey and your city name"

Taught myself to skate at 16. Taught myself to play low level on outdoor rinks. Joined beginner hockey program and attended every year for 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad