Ads

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't mind spending money on good content.

You're saying F40 posters don't provide good content? Where else can you get such insightful and unfiltered analysis, jokes, and lyrics? I'd also point out that you've provided content on 341 occasions. So if $12 is too much, what do you think it's worth? I think the price could be $0.12 and you'd still use an ad blocker because it's not really about the money.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I can't speak for Yotes2000 but for me it's definitely not about the money, I just see no point in it really. There was a time when forums were owned by fans, not multimedia companies and the content was excellent. These companies that snatch up websites/forums/etc. to add to their portfolio rarely provide anything of value, they're just there to insert themselves into the equation so they can make money off the passions of others. They're sort of like ticks who find a good host and start sucking away. The reality is you could remove most all monetary incentive from the web and there would still be more good content on it than any one person could ever reasonably consume. Monetization has made things worse, not better.

Please like this message, follow me and subscribe if you agree. :sarcasm: 🤮

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I can't speak for Yotes2000 but for me it's definitely not about the money, I just see no point in it really. There was a time when forums were owned by fans, not multimedia companies and the content was excellent. These companies that snatch up websites/forums/etc. to add to their portfolio rarely provide anything of value, they're just there to insert themselves into the equation so they can make money off the passions of others. They're sort of like ticks who find a good host and start sucking away. The reality is you could remove most all monetary incentive from the web and there would still be more good content on it than any one person could ever reasonably consume. Monetization has made things worse, not better.

Please like this message, follow me and subscribe if you agree. :sarcasm: 🤮
Let's assume you owned and ran HFBoards. What do you think it would cost? It's certainly not free. At $12 a year that must barely cover the costs.

I strongly disagree that monetization doesn't make the product better. Visit a blog run by an individual and then visit a major news organization like the Wall Street Journal. Who provides the better experience? WSJ couldn't deliver without paying customers.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Let's assume you owned and ran HFBoards. What do you think it would cost? It's certainly not free. At $12 a year that must barely cover the costs.

I strongly disagree that monetization doesn't make the product better. Visit a blog run by an individual and then visit a major news organization like the Wall Street Journal. Who provides the better experience? WSJ couldn't deliver without paying customers.
You're trying to change this into monetization of "the product" but we are not talking about just any product, we're talking about the monetization of web content that was previously free (for the most part). Traditional media that has literally existed since the 1800's (i.e. The Wall Street Journal) is not an apples to apples comparison. The reality is in most cases sites like HFboards are gobbled up by middle men who do little more than suck at the tit while providing little to no actual value themselves. They're parasites who generally have not made the web a better place.

Don't get me wrong if HFBoards was fan owned I'd go out of my way to make sure I was supporting the site but I'm not going to lose sleep over whether or not Evolve Media gets my data and my money.

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoAZ

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
ugh, omg, i'd been one but let it lapse....and oh, it's so much worse now and oh, such a relief to be rid of them for a year. no more 6 giant 'HFB!' gif links to random posts on every page on my phone.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad