Ads

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
You're probably right, cuz running this website is completely free. All of the revenue coming from ads or sponsorship just lines the pockets of greedy lowlifes who don't actually work for their money.
Outside of this forum, I actually don't like this place. Why would I pay to support it? All power to you, and honestly once our new rink opens up i'll probably delete my account. lol

NSYote

Jul 8, 2015
Halifax, NS
I generally don't mind the bad ads most websites have to keep the lights on as long as they're not overly obtrusive.

Unfortunately (at least on mobile) the ads on here scroll the page, play audio or, the most annoying, stop my audio playback even if the ad doesn't have sound.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
This site is absolutely unusable on my phone, which is why drunken, stream of consciousness posts in GDT's are a thing of the past.

Ads that are injected in between posts of a thread are fine -- popups that block the entire page, return every time you click a new page and that open web links instead of closing themselves when you click the little "X" are totally unacceptable.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
They are now a DISASTER on this forum. There’s also all sorts of JavaScript trying to mess with adblockers. It’s a crummy experience either way!

There has to be a better solution!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
They are now a DISASTER on this forum. There’s also all sorts of JavaScript trying to mess with adblockers. It’s a crummy experience either way!

There has to be a better solution!
I get a screen that comes up asking me to disable my ad-blocker almost every time I click on something. That just started recently. I just click "continue without disabling". It was annoying at first but I'm used to it now so I barely notice it. I don't see any ads or pop-ups at all. If you are, try a different program. I have Ublock Origin and AdGuard along with McAfee virus protection running at the same time. They work very well together on all sites. I never have a problem with ads, pop-ups or viruses.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Those that use ad blockers remind me of the scene in Green Book where Tony Lip picks up a polished stone from the ground and puts it in his pocket. In his view, it's technically not stealing because the stone was on the ground, and besides, what difference could one stone make? Don Shirley knows that just because you can get away with something doesn't mean you should.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
HAHA.

No. I'll block ads

AdBlock plus for Mac + Block javascript
Consider UBlock Origin instead, it's much better and doesn't have any built in whitelist for "acceptable" ads. Also consider Privacy Badger.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Those that use ad blockers remind me of the scene in Green Book where Tony Lip picks up a polished stone from the ground and puts it in his pocket. In his view, it's technically not stealing because the stone was on the ground, and besides, what difference could one stone make? Don Shirley knows that just because you can get away with something doesn't mean you should.
Any chance you work for the Union of Allied Planets cause you're sounding devout, a bit like The Operative right now. lol

Seriously though the web was overflowing with great content way before the mass monetization of it and would still be overflowing with great content even if ad revenue went away. This is particularly true of forums!

Last edited:

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Any chance you work for the Union of Allied Planets cause you're sounding devout, a bit like The Operative right now. lol

Seriously though the web was overflowing with great content way before the mass monetization of it and would still be overflowing with great content even if ad revenue went away. This is particularly true of forums!
Its just blatantly obvious that HF makes their ads so obtrusive that you pretty much HAVE to either pay money.. Which I refuse to reward them for it.. or use Adblock of some kind to make it even slightly enjoyable

So Adblock it is, outside of Forums this site offers me absolutely nothing worth paying for. I pay for patreon for a few content providers upwards of $50 a month so I don't mind spending money on good content.

But HF ain't it chief

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad