Ads Coming to Amazon Prime

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Amazon has now removed some popular shows and now you have to pay to watch them. Not a fan of what they are doing. The commercials may grow on me but making more or less the freevee crap the only stuff you are getting? That just sucks

Reactions: Supermassive
Sep 19, 2008
I got one while trying to watch Fast Five today, it was like 5 seconds

Shit pisses me off man. I don't want to watch every thing on my PC and completely avoid my 65 inch tv or 45 inch 5.1 surround system because of ads

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Amazon has now removed some popular shows and now you have to pay to watch them. Not a fan of what they are doing. The commercials may grow on me but making more or less the freevee crap the only stuff you are getting? That just sucks

They have always done that, stuff comes and goes away all the time

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Got the message last night when I opened up the Amazon Video app to watch telling me to remain add free I had to pay an extra 2.99 a month.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yeah and I feel like that has always happened, I generally just watch episodes of Rifftrax or MST3K on there and an episode that is free today might not be a few months from now
Right, I get you - so in addition to hiding content due to "licensing agreements", they're now hiding content behind a paywall.

If I was paying what Americans pay for Amazon Prime, I'd be livid. The Canadian rate is still $80-85 CDN/year iirc.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I don't mind the commercials. Grew up with them, learned to ignore them or use them for my benefit (time to grab the snacks!). What I hate is what happened to me today with netflix. A movie I started a week or two ago I finally went back to watch...and can't because it can't be shown with ads because of licensing agreements. Just take it off my menu entirely at that point.

Also not going to knock freevee. Might not be a lot of new/premium shows on it but there is a lot of stuff that I will watch on it. And it's free, unlike Amazon, netflix, etc. Hell, I've found a bunch of shows on it that I have had to pay to watch in the past.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Maybe we can just all watch ads all day every day and just go buy things. That’d be great for the economy!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I gotta say that having experienced some ads on Prime now (got the promo for shipping purposes while buying at Christmas and the month extended into Prime with ads) and all the doom and gloom over it... I'm rather unimpressed. Right now it's basically just a few segments over a show/episode that shows only one commercial that is just showing TV shows for one of the subscription channels, and its the same one over and over again.

Not that I would put any faith in advertisers/marketing people, but while it may not have seemed like it for the longest time it is a profession that grows and adapts with the times. In 'ye olden days' the primary sources for advertising was basically sponsorship, print, and TV commercials. Sponsorship is still their, print is pretty much dead, and while commercials are still kicking around at the same time people started cutting cable they also started carrying smart phones around with them everywhere and openly using social media, and I suspect this is where all the focus has shifted to.

While you can't do the damage that's been done to cable TV still where commercials grew to be about 1/3rd the run time of a show, I really doubt anything like that is going to happen to streaming services. The nefarious marketing/advertising schemes of the future is probably more stuff like putting a 'smart' fridge in peoples kitchen that's connected to your smart phone/social media data listens to what you're saying and makes targeted 'suggestions' on what you should buy for dinner.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
saw this coming

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Did Freevee ever get released outside of the States?

In Canada the 'Bosch: New Bosch' seasons were released on Prime like the original series but other Freevee shows like Garret Dillahunt's sitcom 'Sprung' never crossed the border

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad