Ads 9n jerseys...would YOU buy?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Suppose the greedy owners go for the loot and follow Bettman's wish to gets ads on jerseys for more revenue...aside for our disgust as fans for ruining the pristine beauty of our Indianhead jersey (in Canada we call them sweaters) thus besmirching the traditions and identity of our team loyalty as epitomized in 5he jersey...to be messed up with clutter from sponsor ads...disgusting...aside from our disgust on this if it happens...would you STILL go out and buy such an ad cluttered jersey and prostitute yourself as another schilling for such companies as dared do this to the fans? Why would YOU ever stoop to help sell somebody's beer or car or food or clothing or whatever brand? The NHL puts YOU in the position of apparently endorsing the sponsors' brands by parading around in such jerseys or hats or whatever else they ruin on merchandise pertaining to our beloved Blackhawks or if a fan of other NHL teams the same concerns from their fan bases..DO NOT let Bettman and greedy owners get away with such ruination.
Somebody start an online petition for all NHL fans to express their NO on this
.tabulate the count and send it off to Bettman at NHL HQ...We are Mad As Hell and NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE
..this Insults the fans and the traditions they associate with their teams I vote NEVER!

Last edited:

SaltyPretzel

Jan 18, 2013
Suppose the greedy owners go for the loot and follow Bettman's wish to gets ads on jerseys for more revenue...aside for our disgust as fans for ruining the pristine beauty of our Indianhead jersey (in Canada we call them sweaters) thus besmirching the traditions and identity of our team loyalty as epitomized in 5he jersey...to be messed up with clutter from sponsor ads...disgusting...aside from our disgust on this if it happens...would you STILL go out and buy such an ad cluttered jersey and prostitute yourself as another schilling for such companies as dared do this to the fans? Why would YOU ever stoop to help sell somebody's beer or car or food or clothing or whatever brand? The NHL puts YOU in the position of apparently endorsing the sponsors' brands by parading around in such jerseys or hats or whatever else they ruin on merchandise pertaining to our beloved Blackhawks or if a fan of other NHL teams the same concerns from their fan bases..DO NOT let Bettman and greedy owners get away with such ruination.
Somebody start an online petition for all NHL fans to express their NO on this
.tabulate the count and send it off to Bettman at NHL HQ...We are Mad As Hell and NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE
..this Insults the fans and the traditions they associate with their teams I vote NEVER!

Nope. I have a Bobby Hull throwback and will just continue to wear that.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
ECHL and AHL teams have ads on the jerseys that the players wear, but not on what you buy in their stores.

Why do people automatically assume that NHL would be any different? The NHL's not stupid, having ads on jerseys that fans buy would only open the door for a huge influx in counterfeit demand. They'll have their cake (ads on player jerseys eventually) and eat it, too (no ads on fan jerseys, taking that advantage away from counterfeits).

And soccer kits and hockey sweaters are not at all equal. Kits have always been about smaller team patches/crests with a lot of empty space, even before ads were added. Sweaters have always had the logo front and center in prominence. One was much more natural for ads to be added and to become a focal point, the other only left room for ancillary placement.

But no, I would not buy jerseys with ads on them (besides the manufacturer's logo on the back).

Last edited:

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I already play at Johnnys for HawkAuto.com and have their logo all over my jerseys so it wouldn't bother me if my Hawks jersey also had the Hawk auto logo on it.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'd say no now while it feels shocking. After it happens...yeah I probably would eventually. Might take me a few years to cave though.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
ECHL and AHL teams have ads on the jerseys that the players wear, but not on what you buy in their stores.

Why do people automatically assume that NHL would be any different? The NHL's not stupid, having ads on jerseys that fans buy would only open the door for a huge influx in counterfeit demand. They'll have their cake (ads on player jerseys eventually) and eat it, too (no ads on fan jerseys, taking that advantage away from counterfeits).

And soccer kits and hockey sweaters are not at all equal. Kits have always been about smaller team patches/crests with a lot of empty space, even before ads were added. Sweaters have always had the logo front and center in prominence. One was much more natural for ads to be added and to become a focal point, the other only left room for ancillary placement.

But no, I would not buy jerseys with ads on them (besides the manufacturer's logo on the back).

That's how it goes in the Europe too, just the players have adds on their Jerseys.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Some of those Euro sweaters look like clown outfits. Bettman would be crazy to cave in and let it happen here. Eventually the jerseys, ugly as they are, would likely sell however.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
No, and I'd strongly support an effort to place an opinion referendum on an upcoming ballot on this issue.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
They have jerseys on their ads.

THAT is a great LOL!

And as for selling only non-drunk merchandise to the fans...why would fans buy a false representation of what their team actually were and looks like in the more cluttered jerseys with ads when actually playing the games?They are completely different jerseys than the pristine ones for public sale.. Plus why would sponsors who.pay for ads on the players jerseys give up great opportunity for maxing out their brand exposure if they gave up the ads going to the merchandise market items? Say for instance Coke or Apple or Samsung/Android ONLY COULD get adds on 0layers jerseys but not on those worn by the crowds in the arenas...or by little johnny ot Jane in the schools or playgrounds ...Or imagine if A beet company was an ad sponsor on jerseys but missed out on all the the fans who go to sports bars we raise g their teams jerseys? Or imagine other opportunity costs in consequence of only limit g ads to players jerseys and not public merchandise jerseys and other items if the NHL expands it's fan bases to other markets like China? Too much brand exposure is lost if the sponsor only gets eyeballs on to jerseys worn in the games by players..No eyeballs...no sponsor logo/ brand exposure on all the other jerseys worn by fans wherever they may be around the world..Obviously the exosures possible from
world-wide merchandise far exceed the exposures limited to game views of players...So why put a limit on this by not insisting they get ads rights o teamn merchandise too? Especially if the suckered. ..I mean if the fans, cave on this and would by the cluttered jerseys anyway?

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Nope.

I already have a jersey with my name on it so I don't need any others. I'll probably buy one before they make the switch, but after that I won't be giving the merchandise department any more of my currency.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'd say no now while it feels shocking. After it happens...yeah I probably would eventually. Might take me a few years to cave though.

Sadly I think this is true and I think the owners no this. They put adds on the jerseys and there will be complaining and whining and maybe in the short term, fans buy less jerseys for a year or two. But long term it will make money once the fans accept that this is how the jerseys are. I think it happens within the next 5 years for sure.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Depends on how gaudy it would be. I have a couple of Timbers kits which have logos, as well as some Slovak Extraliga/National team jerseys that have logos.

In one odd case with repect to the MLS: In Portland if you're flying out of PDX on Alaska Airlines (the main Timber's sponsor--of which I am a fan) and are wearing a Portlan Timbers jersey/kit, you get priority boarding (probably one of the most innovative promotions I've ever seen). In that case I don't think an ad on the front of a jersey would be a bad thing--especially since I'm able to get overhead space and not have to crawl over a fat bastage (like myself) to get to my seat.

I don't think that the Blackhawks/United could do the same thing though if the NHL adopted jersey logos. Everyone would show up at O'hare in a Blackhawks jersey, thus negatting the whole priority boarding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad