Admiral Vladivostok 2013/14 season thread

AsiantuntemusLoistaa

Oct 6, 2011
Well, decided to open this thread because it would be interesting to see how does this team built primarily from left-overs will sail through the season.

I went to Admiral @ Blues Espoo game yesterday (5-2). It seems that the team plays a very straightforward North American hockey relying mainly on the speed of individual players. I do not think that they ever even tried a play of more than 2 passes: mostly just an opening pass and then praying for individual skill. I am not sure how viable this tactic is going to be on the big ice but apparently their home ice is going to be NHL size, so it might work there.

Team chemistry is still bad. Strangely players do not even try to hint each other during the game. The offense is reasonable and with better chemistry is probably comparable to or maybe even above the weakest offenses in KHL.

The defense is a pure disaster: essentially at the level of the Blues defense or maybe worse. Defenders were extremely slow, constantly lost their positions and were not able to throw the puck out of the zone. The forward Lisin was defensively better than any of nominal defenders. I think the team urgently needs to sign 3-4 defenders or their games going to be a pure massacre. In the second and third periods the defense improved but mainly because players started blocking pucks with their bodies which is not common in training games and I guess surprised Blues. I do not believe this will surprise anybody during the regular season. Goalkeeping was surprisingly ok, maybe average by KHL standards.

It was a bit difficult to follow individuals as Admiral players did not have names stitched on their backs, only numbers (which you had to look from the game booklet and which were sometimes wrong :handclap:), but here are my thoughts:

1) In terms of skill Enver Lisin was light years ahead of other players on the ice. Excellent speed and acceleration, great finishing. Also defensively he is very strong: skates back fast and good positioning. Passing is somewhat weak and also in one-on-one situations he usually just tries to run away from the opponent. I am actually a bit surprised how did he end up to Admiral, he could be a third liner in almost any NHL team and a second liner in some. It is somewhat strange to me that Magnitogorsk put him on the expansion draft. The only explanation I see is that he gets paid huge money, which I find somewhat unlikely as he has never been a high profile player. Lisin needs a solid center in order to maximize his offensive output but I think that due to his speed he will be able to individually win some game against the weakest opponents.

2) Joakim Lundstrom looks like a solid goalkeeper by KHL standards: good rebound control and lateral movements (especially compared to “NHLer†Koskinen on the other side). The glove hand seems to be somewhat slow and playing the puck with the stick was often ridiculous. I think he will start most of the games as Ivannikov has almost 0 experience.

3) Alexei Ugarov seems to be the most well rounded albeit a somewhat slow forward and Blues was continuously in trouble with him but I do not think that he will be such a threat in the KHL.

4) Sergei Barbashev is a very interesting playmaker. A lot of smart and technical passes. The problem is that it looks like his chemistry with other team is really bad (even given that chemistry overall was bad). He might also to be too smart for this team.

5) Richard Gynge – occasional flashes of skill but overall very mediocre, does not look like an impact player by any standards.

6) Felix Shutz – completely useless, no skill, no effort, hard to believe he will make the top 6, not clear why to spend a foreign spot on him.

The crowd at the game was 3500+. This is very good because tickets were not free (5-10 euros) and Blues does not achieve that large crowds at a lot of official games. It might show that KHL is of some interest in Finland (or it was just the first home game). The public announcer at the game was a complete clown calling the visiting team AdmiralS all the time.

Overall, my evaluation is that it is going to be the clear last place in the Eastern conference unless the team significantly improves the defense and even if they will I do not see how they can make a playoff spot.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Funny article in Finnish:

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2013081417369944_jk.shtml

Jortikka doesn't complain even though:

-I will see Vladivostok and the arena first time 2nd of September
-We are 2-3 months late signing the players
-I don't know who signs our players, I just red from internet we are getting a foreign player. Somebody in the management is telling that I'm getting the players even though I haven't got any players here.
-But if somebody thinks I regret coming here, I don't. This is the second best league in the world

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
oh wow, great post!!!

Glad to hear Barbashev looks decent. As for Lisin - he just doesn't have a hockey IQ. All the speed and skill in the world, but he's a player who passes when he needs to shoot, a shoots when it's screaming pass.

RicEsteban85

Jan 20, 2013
Aachen
yes; realy a GOOD post!
too bad felix schütz made such a bad impression...he had quite a good last season in cologne. thought he could become a gate opener for more germans in the k. but well, we will see how he will perform during the regular season.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Good effort on your post!

Yes, Admiral needs at least two capable dmen to make this team at least respectable. The current defense is just VHL level.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
5) Richard Gynge – occasional flashes of skill but overall very mediocre, does not look like an impact player by any standards.
I believe Gynge won the Elitserien scoring title two seasons ago but has not been able to duplicate that success in the KHL. He was very mediocre in Dynamo Moscow and Lev Praha last season. He is a player who has a good shot but is otherwise average. In the KHL he has trouble getting into scoring areas which makes it difficult for him to make use of his shot.

seeep

Mar 13, 2011
some words about d-men

everybody could see after draft their defence was very lowlevel, they had only 4 guys, and the best was Osipov who played in third pair in Yugra

but at that moment they had 2 spots for foreign d-men and everyone thougth they will sign some quality players (maybe from SM-Liga or SNL), but unexpected they signed 2 d-men from VHL (Jerofejevs and Perry), their level is the same as Osipov imo.

Jortikka said something like: "We are searching for any free d-men, where we can, because we have big troubles with defence atm" (looks like based on money they have)

Admiral still has Korolev and Ternavskiy on try-out, but again they are the same level as Osipov and they didn't play in KHL last season

some words about forwards

imho level of their forwards is close to Avto, Kuznya and Amur or may be the same
and Gynge will score his 20 goals for sure if he won't be injured during the season

some words about perspectives

they have only one chance not to finish at last place in the east. it's to get a good start in home-games. when every team is training to get their best conditions before play-off, Admiral have to get best conditions from the beginning of the season and take all points they can.

the best way to reach this goal was to get 2 quality foreign offensive d-men
and create very good power play line like it was in Amur two season ago (Vrana, Petruzalek, Maenpaa, Osipov, Kopeykin), but again they didn't sign some sort of d-men, so it looks impossible

overall i think they have chance to fight with Avto, Kuznya and Amur for 11-13 places

PS: a lot will depend of Admirals' golies playing

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Sry to hear that Felix Schütz disappointed you. At least he made an assist (at least according to the statistics I saw).

Still funny that the by far worst team in KHL with a non-existing defense can easily beat Espoo Blues 5-2. ;)

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Espoo Blues is not exactly a powerhouse team either.

2008: vice champions
2009: lost 3rd place game
2010: lost qualification round
2011: vice champions
2012: lost 3rd place game
2013: missed playoffs by 6 points

Looks pretty solid to me.

AsiantuntemusLoistaa

Oct 6, 2011
Today a game against Vaxjo Lakers. It is an Elitserien team but they just lost 3-0 to Blues yesterday so the quality is questionable.

Admiral will face Neftekhimik and Donbass as a part of the Donbass cup next week. This might shed some light on how competitive they are against a borderline play-off team.

It is also not clear what will happen to the season opener as Khabarovsk is apparently getting flooded.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Steve Eminger (NY Rangers) is rumoured to Admiral Vladivostok.

If it is true, he will be first D and very good addition.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
their jerseys really suck IMO

1098488_570713339656083_1168383016_n.jpg

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Mikhail Antipin twits it can be final. I hope it won't.

News for me. Thx. We will see, but I dont believe it.

EDIT:
@Mihanti 22 Aug

С большой вероятностью Адмирал начнет сезон в предсезонной форме

I found only this.. do you mean something else?? He said only that Admiral can start season with this jersey.. maybe there is problem with making new one.. season is here within a few days. I dont believe Admiral´s choice is to use these jersey. As you know they use another logo in presentations (instagram), so they want to use the logo on jersey as well.

EDIT 2:
You were faster with twitter.

Last edited:

Spektanto

May 31, 2012
Chelyabinsk
News for me. Thx. We will see, but I dont believe it.

EDIT:

I found only this.. do you mean something else?? He said only that Admiral can start season with this jersey.. maybe there is problem with making new one.. season is here within a few days. I dont believe Admiral´s choice is to use these jersey. As you know the use another logo in presentations (instagram), so they want to use the logo on jersey as well.

EDIT 2:
You were faster with twitter.
Well yes, I could misunderstand him. Wish the team to make the proper jerseys as soon as possible :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad