Adjusted Save Percentage

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
SV% is actually equally as team effected as GAA. Strong defensive teams deflate goalies' SV%.

Simply put, no matter how good or bad a team is defensively, they will all allow roughly the same number of high danger chances. Due to this reason, goalies who play on strong defensive teams will face a higher percentage of high danger chances than goalies who play on bad defensive teams.

The difference between good defensive teams and bad defensive teams comes in the quantity and not quality. Reason for this is quite simple. All teams know how to take away the middle of the ice. It's taking back the puck and keeping it out of the zone that not all teams can do effectively.

All goalies since the 80's have lower cumulative SV%'s in their lower shot volume games than they do in their higher shot volume games.

I'm not sure that's true. If you watched the New York Islanders under Doug Weight they constantly gave up amazing scoring chances against and definitely didn't know how to take away the middle of the ice. They were historically bad in goals against and I'm not sure that's all on the goalies, who all simultaneously had by far their worst years in their career under Doug Weight.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I'm not sure that's true. If you watched the New York Islanders under Doug Weight they constantly gave up amazing scoring chances against and definitely didn't know how to take away the middle of the ice. They were historically bad in goals against and I'm not sure that's all on the goalies, who all simultaneously had by far their worst years in their career under Doug Weight.

It is true. All teams allowed between 10 and 13 high danger chances per 60 minutes during the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad