2-1-0

2 points for a win
1 point for a loss
0 points for a tie

No overtime, watch the teams panic as the game winds down

Reactions: Mobiandi

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The best thing would be 5 points for a regulation win, 4 points for a overtime win, 3 points for a shoot out win, 2 points for a shoot out loss, 1 point for a overtime loss and 0 points for a regulation loss. That way teams would be extra motivated with the big 5 point price for winning a game in regulation.

Also, an additional 3 standings point for each hat trick, and an additional two standings points for each shutout. Ooh, points for average crowd noise as measured in decibel minutes.

How much should a crushing check be worth?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I can't be the only one that hates when the score is tied at the end of the third period, and both teams start playing defensively to protect the score and make sure they secure a point. They should be fighting, whey should play to win the game.

What if we change the point system so that a Regulation win gets you 3 points, an OT/SO win gets you 2 points, an OT/SO loss gets you 1 point and a Regulation loss gets you no point?

Would that make the teams fight more on the ice? Would that be viable? What would be the downsides?

or get rid of the loser point

Reactions: Lt Dan

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Millionth time this has been mentioned, The Bettman point will never go away as it produces artificial parity thus making more money for the owners. They really don't care about the integrity of the game.
Blasphemy! Next you're going to tell me a professional league will bow down to a communist country. :sarcasm:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Abolish OT, end the game with a tie after regulation. Problem solved. Except in the playoffs.

Awful. Solve one problem and create a bigger problem, deciding a game without a winner...I don't care if 3v3 OT and the Shootout are 'tacky', they're entertaining. Much better than ending in a tie.

Reactions: Ducks in a row

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Congrats you brought back ties something so many people hate and will result in teams playing not to lose late in games resulting in boring play and so many ties yuck.
Then make wins worth 3 and ties worth 1, like soccer did to solve the problem a long time ago.
Awful. Solve one problem and create a bigger problem, deciding a game without a winner...I don't care if 3v3 OT and the Shootout are 'tacky', they're entertaining. Much better than ending in a tie.
No, there stupid gimmicks which lead to an inaccurate result.

I don't get how people can't grasp the concept of a game where teams deserve to leave with an equal result. Hockey is the only major NA sport that uses expediated measures to quicken the result at the professional level. It's bush league.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Soccer is different then Hockey regardless you would still have ties which suck so much just hate hate hate them.
I have no problem with it determining that too teams were worthy of equal points. It's way better than 3 on 3 or a shoot-out which are both jokes.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I have no problem with it determining that too teams were worthy of equal points. It's way better than 3 on 3 or a shoot-out which are both jokes.

I would rather see overtime and shootouts all of which are enjoyable then seeing a tie which makes me feel empty and cheated.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'd rather 3 points per win and 1 for a tie than 3-2-1 or anything that expedites the game. I mean, I'd be fine with 2 for a win and 1 for tie.
Why reward teams for not trying to win and create more ties? while making it more complicated and harder for new and casual fans?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why reward teams for not trying to win and create more ties? while making it more complicated and harder for new and casual fans?
I don't care about appeasing casual fans. I'm giving my opinion on what I think is better. I think appeasement because people can't handle the concept of an equally played game is bastardizing it for ratings.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I do not care what solution is adopted as long as we return to a world where losers go home empty-handed.

Ditch the loser point.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

3 for a win and 1 for a tie, no OT.... actually I think there is a lot more incentive to win the game in such a system than 2-1, and there is a pretty good chance one of the team will want this badly near the 60 minutes mark, especially towards the end of the season.

Reactions: EON

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
3 for a win and 1 for a tie, no OT.... actually I think there is a lot more incentive to win the game in such a system than 2-1, and there is a pretty good chance one of the team will want this badly near the 60 minutes mark, especially towards the end of the season.
Why reward teams for a tie?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't get why people are so against ties.

European football style system. 3 points for a win, 1 point each for a tie, 0 for a loss. You can still have 3 on 3 OT (maybe 10 minutes) but if no one scores in OT, each team gets 1 point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00