Prospect Info: Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debs

Aug 24, 2008
between NJ and DE
This is the first ive seen of Ghost being described as having a nasty side. I only saw him sparingly in the WJC, but is this accurate?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
This is the first ive seen of Ghost being described as having a nasty side. I only saw him sparingly in the WJC, but is this accurate?

Well he did get suspended in the WJC for sticking a guy in the groin. I suppose that's what they are referring to.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Here's our top 10 prospects according to The Hockey News. I have no clue what they see in Nick Luukko? I don't agree with Manning being in the top 10 but Corey Pronman had him in there as well so they aren't the only ones on that front.

Last year THN had him listed as our number 5 prospect in the preseason pool annual book. Any publication that would say Manning had a strong year clearly didn't watch him so I don't put a ton of value in their opinion.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

As in Briere nasty side, I don't know how many open ice hits he can lay on with his frame. But yea he swings the lumber pretty good.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
He's got a mean streak. He'll lay some nice open ice hits despite his size.

Mostly because he jumped into the guy, and/or shoulder-to-chin'd him down.

He's gotta tone it down a bit. If we're eventually going to rely on him as a good defender and great puck-mover (Karlsson-lite?), he's gotta not be in the penalty box or locker room with charging majors.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
he could score something around 30-40 points or more?
He could, but he's a risky prospect.

I'll be happy if he becomes a regular in the NHL, let alone a 30-40 pt. producer. 30-40 points in a season would put him in the top 40 for NHL dmen.

He has a cannon, and can skate really well, but I'd like to see him put up some big numbers this year before we can anoint him a surefire stud. I do like him though.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think the biggest barrier for Ghost is going to be his size. He may well have the tools to be a successful NHL player, but at sub six feet and 170 pounds, he will have a tough time hanging with the players five inches taller and fifty pounds heavier. There is a reason that players his size are few and far between in the NHL. You have to be truly talented or have some sort of special skillset to overcome such a big size difference.

Aside from Brian Rafalski, who are some successful NHL defensemen around the size of Ghost? I'm not saying they don't exist, only that I can't think of any right now. His size is the reason that I am not nearly as high on him as most of you are.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I think the biggest barrier for Ghost is going to be his size. He may well have the tools to be a successful NHL player, but at sub six feet and 170 pounds, he will have a tough time hanging with the players five inches taller and fifty pounds heavier. There is a reason that players his size are few and far between in the NHL. You have to be truly talented or have some sort of special skillset to overcome such a big size difference.

Aside from Brian Rafalski, who are some successful NHL defensemen around the size of Ghost? I'm not saying they don't exist, only that I can't think of any right now. His size is the reason that I am not nearly as high on him as most of you are.

yeah he's under 6' but he's 5'11", he's not exactly a midget. And he's got at least 2 yrs to add weight. I fully expect him to be 185lbs by then and will probably add more as he gets older. Rafalski, Enstrom and Kimmo immediately come to mind as small successful NHL d-men who are all listed at 5'10". I'm sure there's more too.

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
how manny chance derek mathers play 5-10 games this years? could be nice having him and rosehill vs toronto

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
how manny chance derek mathers play 5-10 games this years? could be nice having him and rosehill vs toronto

I would say its very slim of him playing in a game this year let alone 5-10 games.

We would have to really get roughed up by a team for him to get a call-up & I don't see that happening. He should be taking over the enforcer role for the Flyers in two years if everything goes accordingly.

He needs some seasoning in the minors to hone his fighting skills, there wasn't many players in the OHL that could step to him in the last two years but that will change in the AHL where goons are plentiful.

Last edited:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

I'm not comparing Ghost to Ray Bourque, but Bourque was on 5'11. He was 200 pounds, but he was 5'11. Mark Howe was 5'11. Brad McCrimmon was 5'11. Slava Voyonov is only 6'0. The problem with Ghost isn't height, it's weight. Part of me hoped that he would leave college early and report to Adirondack where he would get a chance to work with the Flyers dietitians and staff in regards to putting on weight healthy, but I also have no problem with him going back to school. Education is never a bad thing and he's going to be playing tons with Union.

Someone mentioned Ghost not putting up big numbers in college. The ECAC is one of the lower scoring conferences in the NCAA. In 2012 - 2013, he was the fourth highest scoring defenseman in the conference. In 36 games, he put up 26 points and was third in the conference with a +18.

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
I would say its very slim of him playing in a game this year let alone 5-10 games.

We would have to really get roughed up by a team for him to get a call-up & I don't see that happening. He should be taking over the enforcer role for the Flyers in two years if everything goes accordingly.

He needs some seasoning in the minors to hone his fighting skills, there wasn't many players in the OHL that could step to him in the last two years but that will change in the AHL where goons are plentiful.

yes me too i think he need 2 or 3 years but could be nice see him 1 game vs toronto

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Ghost will fill out a bit. There are smaller D all over the league. Many listed at 6' who are definitely not.

Besides Timonen, Streit and Gus on the Flyers, Karlsson, Boyle, Goligoski, Campbell, Visnovsky, Ryan Ellis, Hickey, Krug, Liles, White, Diaz, Bouillon, Vatanen and Kris Russell are very small. There is room in the league for small Dmen, and some of the above are all stars too.

I don't worry about his size. If you can play, you can play. I've only seen the WJC games, but the guy I compare his style (not level) to his WJC coach, Phil Housley. Really skinny, smooth and fast.

If you are as mobile as he is, you can play enough D that your puck moving and carrying outweighs being overpowered occasionally, that's OK. It helps if you have a D partner who can help with moving guys etc.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He could, but he's a risky prospect.

I'll be happy if he becomes a regular in the NHL, let alone a 30-40 pt. producer. 30-40 points in a season would put him in the top 40 for NHL dmen.

He has a cannon, and can skate really well, but I'd like to see him put up some big numbers this year before we can anoint him a surefire stud. I do like him though.

If he's not putting up 30-40 points, he won't be in the league, IMO. Offense is his calling card. Yeah he's a good skater, but no matter what he's always going to be considered undersized for a defenseman. To survive as an undersized defenseman in this league you need to put up points. Francis Bouillon is the exception, but he's a tank.

The old box score scouting eh? College hockey, and the ECAC in general like someone else said, is not the most conducive league to showcasing offensive talent and offensive defenseman more specifically. Between the styles of play and relative skill level, you're just not going to see monster numbers. You also have to factor in he's playing against guys 2-3 and sometimes 4 years older them him on a nightly basis (his partner Coburn was 25 last year). And while they may not always have NHL talent, they are more physically mature. That said, he was well on his way to becoming a PPG guy until he came back from the WJC's and hit a little skid for whatever reason. He started off strong and finished strong last year. He still ended up as the 14th highest scoring defensman in the nation last year.

If this guy were playing Major Jr. he would be a household name. I obviously might be a bit biased, but he's as talented an offensive prospect as I've seen in his age group. That game against BC in the regional he was unreal. He took over that game. He was the best player on the ice and there were a few future NHLers playing in that game. I fully expect him to be one of the top scorers, at his position, in the country this year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Flyers Rookie Camp Roster:
Forwards (14)
(64) Brandon Alderson
(56) Tyler Brown
(52) Nick Cousins
(59) Kyle Flanagan
(53) Tyrell Goulbourne
(74) Stephen Harper
(46) Andrew Johnston
(21) Scott Laughton
(58) Taylor Leier
(54) Matt Mangene
(57) Derek Mathers
(47) Marcel Noebels
(73) Andrew Ryan
(51) Petr Straka
Defenseman (8)
(39) Mark Alt
(71) Jared Hauf
(62) Tyler Hostetter
(34) Matt Konan
(50) Maxim Lamarche
(72) Colin MacDonald
(55) Samuel Morin
(70) Mark Nemec
Goalies (3)
(67) Carsen Chubak
(33) Cal Heeter
(49) Anthony Stolarz
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681205

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

Of note out of the invitees is Jared Hauf. 6'6 shutdown defender.

Scouting report:

http://thehockeywriters.com/jared-hauf-the-next-ones-2013-nhl-prospect-profile/

“A giant 6-foot-6 defensive defenseman, Hauf is able to shutdown one entire half of the defensive zone because of his long strides, large wingspan and impressive strength. Like many big defensemen, the Calgary product will need to continue refining his agility but currently displays decent mobility with strong defensive hockey smarts and physical gifts to keep even the more skilled forwards contained against the boards. He also has surprisingly decent hands for a big man to play a safe and mistake-free game.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad