News Article: Adirondack Flames done at seasons end?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If reports can be believed the Flames are soon to announce the purchase of the Stockton Thunder which is believed will be apart of the AHL creating a western division.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/12/...lers-will-likely-move-ahl-team-to-bakersfield

It is believed Edmonton, Calgary, Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Jose will begin operating teams in a new Western Division of the AHL next season.

The Los Angeles Kings (Manchester, N.H) already own the ECHL Ontario Reign. Ther Calgary Flames (Adirondack, N.Y.) are expected to announce the purchase of Stockton Thunder, currently owned by Brad Rowbotham of Red Deer. Anaheim (Norfolk, Virginia) is looking at either San Diego or Long Beach. That would leave only San Jose (Worchester, Mass.) in search of a spot.

“The AHL and NHL are collaborating at looking at making some announcements at the end of January regarding relocations, playing fewer games with less travel and more divisional play,†said Oilers president and COO Patrick LaForge.

My question is this, would the Flames bail on Adirondack completely? Or would they find a way to swap the AHL and ECHL clubs, making Stockton the AHL affiliate and Adirondack the ECHL affiliate?

The reasoning behind such a move would be for same day call-ups as the airport at Glens Falls does not have any direct flights anywhere (looks like it only handles small private aircraft). Currently when the Flames recall a player they drive from Glens Falls to Montreal (approx. 3 hours) where they can get a direct flight to Calgary; rather than drive to Albany (approx. 1 hour) where they would have to fly to Chicago and then to Calgary. If they move to Stockton they would be able to fly from Stockton to Calgary (via Las Vegas).

The reasoning behind the move to Adirondack from Abbotsford was to reduce travel, if the AHL has a division heavy schedule a west coast division (they could also add the Texas clubs) would have more travel than Adirondack, but still significantly less than Abbotsford. Should this move forward and teams were in Bakersfield, Ontario, San Diego and another city in California the furthest drive within the division would be about 7 hours and the closest would probably be the Sharks affiliate (I would assume in Fresno, Sacramento, San Francisco or Oakland) which would be about 75 minutes (or less) away.

There has also been been rumored interest from Phoenix (likely also in Phoenix or Tuscon), Colorado (likely Colorado Springs) and Vancouver (likely Abbotsford) to move their teams west as well (maybe not immediately but likely within 2-3 years). Those 3 teams with the 2 in Texas as well as Milwaukee, Rockford, Chicago, Iowa (Des Moines) and Grand Rapids would likely make up the rest of the Western Conference

I thought this was interesting enough for it's own thread rather than being buried in the regular ADK thread.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I want to say Ray Ferraro talked about this on the radio yesterday and said basically most of the ECHL teams will end up creating the "western" conference. He also mentioned travel cost being the biggest factor for teams such as Arizona AHL affiliate, but if there were more actual western teams then it would be more viable.

As for leaving Adirondack, I dunno I know at the end of the day that its all about the money but that seems like a pretty big screw you to the fans.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They should totally name the team the Stockton Reapers or Stockton Anarchy since when I think of Stockton my only point of reference is Sons of Anarchy (and Charming isn't a real city, but it is a street it Stockton apparently)

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
The difference to the Flames of having a team in Stockton vs Andirondack is the huge increase in practice ime that the players could have with so much reduced travel time.

Since the practice time of minor leaguers is considered as important or even more important than actual game time, that's the real determnin factor in making the move.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
on the AHL board it's being said the Flames have an opt out after each season

Well, that would certainly make a move much more likely.

But it would be nice to have some minor league stability. Since 2005, they've been in Omaha, Quad Cities, Abbotsford and Glen Falls.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, that would certainly make a move much more likely.

But it would be nice to have some minor league stability. Since 2005, they've been in Omaha, Quad Cities, Abbotsford and Glen Falls.
they just spent 5 years in Abbotsford, when they moved from there I think we all knew Glens Falls was a temporary location.

Stockton also has a brand new 5 year lease from my understanding.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
this is from the AHL board and apparently from the Flames agreement with Glens Falls.

Notwithstanding the above, at the end of the first hockey season and the second hockey season, the Flames shall have the right to terminate the agreement by giving written notice to the City on or before May 1 each year during the term hereof. Such termination notice shall constitute a termination of any obligations by the City and for future years. failure to notify the City by May 1 shall constitute continuation of this agreement for an additional one year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd be in favour of this if more teams actually relocate within the Western territory. Although it is to bad, Adirondack seems like they have an awesome fan base.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be in favour of this if more teams actually relocate within the Western territory. Although it is to bad, Adirondack seems like they have an awesome fan base.
Yeah they are great. But they are only drawing 3362 per game and I do believe there has only been one sell out so far and that was when the Wings affiliate came to town.

Stockton on the other hand is drawing 4146 per game for the ECHL, if they can embrace having a AAA team rather than AA team that could easily jump up to 5500-6000 as their arena holds about 9700 and with a California division and a schedule that is division heavy will see tons of rivalries built and maybe some nasty old fashioned hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00