Adding Sean Burke to management

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I've mentioned this in a couple threads lately. I think he would be a tremendous addition if we could lure him in, I'd love to see them replace both Mac-T and Howson with Burke. He has spent a lot of time working under and learning from Don Maloney, who in my opinion is one of the best GM's in the league. Maloney has pretty consistently iced a competitive team with nothing for payroll and an uncertain franchise future. He's been excellent at identifying the type of players this team sorely needs.

Add in the fact that Burke has spent a lot of time around Dave Tippett, a real good coach who is known for getting the most out of players and teams. A quote that I love from a Tippett interview I heard years ago was soothing along the lines of "It's the 3 T's. First you Train a player to do play a specific role, if he can't perform that role, then you Transfer him to a different role and if he can't perform that role then really there is no use for that player on your team so you Trade him. For too long this team has tried to develop a system and a style of play moulded to the players they have when really we need to be looking at the systems and styles that are successful around the league. If our players can't alter their game to fit into that style then we move them out for players who can and will.

On top of working with guys like Maloney and Tippett for years he's also been a goalie guru, having great success with big goalies such as Bryzgalov, Smith, Dubnyk. He would be a real asset to our rookie goalie coach and a guy like Anders Nilsson.

Now Burke left Arizona because he didn't see any room for advancement there and there was a couple GM jobs and the Hockey Canada job he thought he might have a chance at. Nothing panned out for him and he ended up as a scout for the Euro team in the World Cup of Hockey. The guy is obviously angling for a GM job and I think here being Assistant GM to Chiarelli and helping turn the team around could be a springboard to a GM's job for him in the next couple of years. I really think it's a win win for Burke and the Oilers to get him in here.

Edit: Forgot to add this but here is a link to a story on what Burke has been up to since his exit from Arizona

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ement-transition-from-coaching-165541564.html

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
surely we can afford to pay him more than team euro for the world cup? he is definitely a sick goalie coach if nothing else, i'd give him 2 million dollars an hour. get it done Katz.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Getting him, just to work with the goalies would be worth what he wanted. Burke would be an amazing hire.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He was the assistant to the GM in Arizona, so assistant GM would probably be a good next step. He's the best in the business with goalies

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Down with it... Burke has always struck me as a thoughtful guy and a class act, going all the way back the 1988 olympics.

finalrep

May 15, 2015
I don't think the problem was putting people in wrong roles. Sometimes, yes, but more often than not Edmonton had a lack of NHL players so they had no choice but to try and fill holes.

This is more about the draft and development than anything. When you don't have quality players developing in the AHL its going to have a cascade effect on everything in the NHL.

Burke has an excellent history as a goalie coach and might be an excellent executive in the future but its nothing more than guesswork to say he would be better than MacT in a supporting cast.

The problem with Edmonton is the foundation - the draft - is there any evidence that Burke can change things from the roots up? A lack of evidence doesn't mean he couldn't but really what Edmonton needs is to bring someone in that has successfully built something from the ground up. Not a GM or assistant GM but someone that knows how to build a draft. From my understanding that was Bob Green. That obviously will take some time to ripen but early returns from our 2015 draft are good.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I initially read this as 'Brian Burke' and was ready for the fireworks in this thread. Disappointed.

Oct 15, 2008
I initially read this as 'Brian Burke' and was ready for the fireworks in this thread. Disappointed.

You can always go back to making up nonsense about Griff in the Reinhart thread and see how that goes.

I don't see why Burke comes here. There is no room for advancement. I think he likely wants to be a gm. He won't get that opportunity here for a long time if ever.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That's something I've thought about in the past too. Definitely wouldn't mind him being here. We need more competent people in management, in scouting and on the coaching/development staff. Sean Burke would likely be a good step in that direction.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You can always go back to making up nonsense about Griff in the Reinhart thread and see how that goes.

I don't see why Burke comes here. There is no room for advancement. I think he likely wants to be a gm. He won't get that opportunity here for a long time if ever.

You are such a blatant ridiculous biased oil kings apologist it's funny. If you were in charge we would have drat guys like Kuleda in the 2nd round. That Moroz pick is looking sound, so is that musil pick and the Ewanyk pick.

There is nothing to be made up in the Reinhart thread. The Oilers gave up huge resources for a guy who they said was NHL ready, he can't beat out the bottom guys on our D and as I have said, he does nothing really well at the NHL level, not a great skater, not great offense, not really physical.

You can get back to me on 'Griff' when he is a top 3 dman with this team within 2 years. I'll be waiting.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
One reason why BUrke left Arizona is because he want to move away from just being the goalie coach--he want to follow in Garth Snow and Ron Hextall's path to GM

Oct 15, 2008
You are such a blatant ridiculous biased oil kings apologist it's funny. If you were in charge we would have drat guys like Kuleda in the 2nd round. That Moroz pick is looking sound, so is that musil pick and the Ewanyk pick.

There is nothing to be made up in the Reinhart thread. The Oilers gave up huge resources for a guy who they said was NHL ready, he can't beat out the bottom guys on our D and as I have said, he does nothing really well at the NHL level, not a great skater, not great offense, not really physical.

You can get back to me on 'Griff' when he is a top 3 dman with this team within 2 years. I'll be waiting.

Probably better to know nothing about the players you are commenting on. Point taken.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
One reason why BUrke left Arizona is because he want to move away from just being the goalie coach--he want to follow in Garth Snow and Ron Hextall's path to GM

Sure but here he'd only be behind Bob Nicholson, Klowe, MacT, Howson, Bill Scott, Bill Carriere, Bob Green, Kelly Buchberger and possibly Joey Moss in terms of having power in the organization. It's practically a rocket ride to the top!!!! :laugh::laugh:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Probably better to know nothing about the players you are commenting on. Point taken.

Yeah I know you had season tix to the kings and watched very game for three years, you seem to mention that in every draft thread over the last few years while pumping up the value of each hand every oil king. If you had your way we would have drafted Lazar over Nurse.

Oct 15, 2008
Yeah I know you had season tix to the kings and watched very game for three years, you seem to mention that in every draft thread over the last few years while pumping up the value of each hand every oil king. If you had your way we would have drafted Lazar over Nurse.

I know you didnt and barely know wtf you are talking about but that's ok, we are all allowed to have our say. I would love to have both Nurse and Lazar. Both get how to play the game and are willing to do what it takes to win. Lazar is also a fantastic human being but thanks for throwing him under the bus for no apparent reason.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I still don't understand why there is a desire amongst a fanbase to replace people in specific roles in organizations, when we truly don't even understand what they do. We see very little as to the inner workings in the organization and really have no insight as to whether people fill a role successfully or not. Essentially, apart from the success of the team and management as a whole (both on-ice product and overall financial success), we have no way to measure an organization. And we certainly are not able to gauge whether one specific role is being fulfilled adequately or not. There is no way anyone should be saying "This person needs to be replaced," as it's only coming from a place of ignorance and bias.

Leave it to the people in charge.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I still don't understand why there is a desire amongst a fanbase to replace people in specific roles in organizations, when we truly don't even understand what they do. We see very little as to the inner workings in the organization and really have no insight as to whether people fill a role successfully or not. Essentially, apart from the success of the team and management as a whole (both on-ice product and overall financial success), we have no way to measure an organization. And we certainly are not able to gauge whether one specific role is being fulfilled adequately or not. There is no way anyone should be saying "This person needs to be replaced," as it's only coming from a place of ignorance and bias.

Leave it to the people in charge.

My reasoning for this is very simple. Nicholson and Chiarelli we're hired because people we're failing at doing their job, that's the bottom line. In my eyes when Mac-T was hired he wasn't experienced enough for the job he was undertaking and he failed to do anything but make the situation worse. He hired a terrible coach and most of the additions he made are either sitting in the PB or are down in the minors. Then you basically fire him but instead do the total Oilers thing and promote him to VP of hockey ops. In an interview Chiarelli has stated that Mac-T would be focused on the Condors (development) and Pro scouting, pretty much the two most important aspects for this club right now. As I stated earlier we've already seen his pro scouting track record (Gordon, Perron, Nikitin, Ferrence, Scrivens, Grebeshkov, Belov, Purcell) probably missing a few more but you get the picture and it's not pretty.

Personally I think that Chia agreed to keep them on for the season but I think that come summer time a lot of the clutter will be cleared out in management. Chiarelli is going to want to bring his own guys in.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'd be on board with this as well. Sean Burke seems like a sound hockey mind, and I'm always happy to add those to the org, especially if we're removing extremely-proven failure MacT from the role. That said, a general bitterness I've had is our inability to poach talent from Detroit and Chicago. They consistently produce good management for other organizations, yet we haven't hired anyone looking to move up from their orgs.

The sell, I imagine, would be greater responsibility as Assistant GM. He'd have a great add for his resume if we turn things around, and would be able to jump from the role to the GM of another team if a spot opens up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad