Proposal: Adding Jagr or Jokinen

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Don't think we need anybody else, but if any of the two maybe Jagr.

But have a gut feeling that Jagr just won't work out in Winnipeg, maybe Edmonton.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Pretty hit or miss with you guys

Love the differing opinions on the matter. I think some of the opinions (which admittedly people have said they "heard from a FLA fan") are miss-informed on the matter or have the same failure bias against Enstrom. By that I mean, you only notice the negatives of the player because he's too slow (or in Enstroms case too small) and so when they make a mistake it's the "AH HA GOTCHA! KNEW YOU SUCKED/ARE TOO OLD/SLOW" moment.

Jagr is NOT bad defensively. He controls the puck very well and though his feet have left him he plays very smart hockey.
Coming here, he wouldn't be expected to be on the top line, but COULD fill in if injuries occur and would likely create more space for guys like Scheif, Ehlers, Little, Laine and Wheeler.
His possession numbers (which were included in the OP) are that of a solid top line player. I'd love WPGChief or Garret to provide better/more accurate possession numbers or a fancy graph (I'm an advanced stats rookie). To have that combined with the mentorship/name value on our third line would be a coo.
Love the opinions though and the passion for the upcoming season as I believe the one thing we all can agree on, It's now or never!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I couldn't imagine Jagr or Doan fitting the Jets personality-wise. We have a really good, young room right now that has lots of drive and leadership. I'd prefer to see us keep moving in that direction. Moving Stu and Thor out leads me to believe that management also believes that we have enough young leadership now. I wouldn't want to throw someone into the mix that isn't going to fit.

I'll bet neither one of them plays many video games or knows the words to the high school musical movie.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I couldn't imagine Jagr or Doan fitting the Jets personality-wise. We have a really good, young room right now that has lots of drive and leadership. I'd prefer to see us keep moving in that direction. Moving Stu and Thor out leads me to believe that management also believes that we have enough young leadership now. I wouldn't want to throw someone into the mix that isn't going to fit.

I'll bet neither one of them plays many video games or knows the words to the high school musical movie.

I don't think any of our current roster knows the words to high school musical as it is

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Has anyone even mentioned Jussi Jokinen yet?

He's supposed to be half the subject of this thread & we're 3 pages in without his name appearing once.

He's a much better fit for Winnipeg than Jagr, one year removed from a 60 point season & plays all 3 forward positions.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013

He's supposed to be half the subject of this thread & we're 3 pages in without his name appearing once.

He's a much better fit for Winnipeg than Jagr, one year removed from a 60 point season & plays all 3 forward positions.

I think it's the motivation - I don't need either of them to push us over the top, the only benefit would be the possibility for serious mentoring/superstar forging for the top talent. Of the two, only Jagr is of use (Jus?).

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg

Bang for buck Jokinen is the best option. Likely had at 1-2M @ 1-2 years and put him with Jokinen-Scheif-Laine would be dynamic line and basically team finlands top line with a better C in Scheif.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Can Jokinen pk?

Definitely. A big part of Jokinen's charm is his versatility, he can play in all situations. He has the 2nd most PK ice time of all Panthers forwards and 5th most overall over the last 5 years.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Definitely. A big part of Jokinen's charm is his versatility, he can play in all situations. He has the 2nd most PK ice time of all Panthers forwards and 5th most overall over the last 5 years.

Are you referring to last season?

Jokinen had 93:47 in PK time with the Panthers last season. That ranked him 5th among Florida forwards & 9th among all their skaters.

In seasons prior however he was used much more often.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
In my opinion Jokinen is not that good of a fit to Winnipeg. When he played in the same line with Laine in national team, it appeared they didn't have much chemistry.

Personally I think a team like Minnesota would be a fit for Jussi.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
I also think that Jokinen is not what WPG "needs". Experienced and all that yes, but he's not a sure goal scorer. That's how I see him. Has had good streaks, but... I don't know.

Jagr on the other hand is still a good scorer I think. Should Armia have at least as good season than the last one I think 3rd line could score a lot more than last season. Well, not necessary Armia, just my favourite ;) . But would the price be low enough? Hard to believe. Jagr STILL is a superstar, even though his performance has obviously declined.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think if Jokinen can slot in at C, then he would be worth looking at on a short-term deal. The Jets have some C depth in the organization, but they would still be vulnerable to an injury to Little or Scheifele.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Perrault Little Wheeler
Connor Jokinen Armia
Copp Lowry Dano

1st call up: Roslo

Jussi has played less C in his time with FLA though. When the inevitable perrault and/or little injury hits, push Jokinen to 2LW/2C and call up Roslo

Last edited:

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
I wouldnt hate Jussi. Jagr would be bad...not because hes a bad player but because he just gets so gassed when Playoff time comes.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I wouldnt hate Jussi. Jagr would be bad...not because hes a bad player but because he just gets so gassed when Playoff time comes.

Ya, I love the guy and he's hilarious but he's very slow now. His transition game is not where it was 20 years ago :sarcasm:

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
It would be kind of cool to have Jagr as a Jet. Especially a couple of years ago. I think he's too close to his expiration date now. Would be a good mentor for the young uns. But at the same time, he takes up a spot for our prospects. I'd rather keep the spot open for them, as there's not many availlable now.
Plus the league has really moved towards a speed type of game.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I'm not a fan of making our team worse because it would be "cool" or "neat" to have a big name on our team. I'll take the lesser known Armia at 3RW every day of the week over Jagr.

Same hands as Jagr, same puck protection and board skills as Jagr. Faster and better defensively than Jagr, and probably in every other aspect of the game other than shooting.

Armia is a more useful Jagr than Jagr. And now I've said Jagr too much and it doesn't look like a real word.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad