Adapting to playing hockey vs. other sports

Pedagogue

May 31, 2009
Very nice thread.

Hockey is a tough game to learn. As stated skating is key. You've got to be confident on those edges to even by mederately effective. To be really effective work on skating on your weak side (e.g. left leg crossovers, etc.) Right now I am trying to improve my stick handling and that's taking a hell of a long time. As I've got hands of stone.

mdonah

Feb 11, 2008
I am a bad hockey player and a little better at other sports basketball
I will still say the most fun I have had is playing hockey With a few
exceptions I have always found the better players at open hockey
very willing to give tips

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Public skating sessions can sometimes be difficult for players to work on their skating. Most of the skaters there are leisure skaters that just go in one direction around the perimeter of the ice. The middle of the ice is occasionally open though (since they're supposed to stay near the boards) so you can work on technique and what not.

I wouldn't try any high-intensity stuff there unless it's not too busy. Stick and puck is a better place to try out pure skating stuff imo, but even then it can be difficult. I hate it when you try to take up a very small space between the blue and red line near the penalty box and *still* have some kid flying by you as you're trying to do your drill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad