Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Time to start showing some love for #50? While most of us know him as that guy that got called up before Pulock, he has been pretty darn good. Don't get me wrong, i'm not giving him the Norris or anything, but I think he has earned a consistent role with the big club. Looks very confident out there.

Last edited:

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Time to start showing some love for #50? While most of us know him as that guy that got called up before Pulock, he has been pretty darn good. Don't get me wrong, i'm not giving him the Norris or anything, but I think he has earned a consistent role with the big club. Looks very confident out there.

He'll be the replacement for whoever we lose in expansion. Seidenberg's if they take Pulock.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
At some point we will have to start worrying about losing him. Don't see how we can protect him but if he keeps playing like he's playing, it's at least a possibility.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Loved him stiff arming a man down after a dump in.

Him and Mayfield are so old school, both are super wide guys and make it so hard for guys to take space anywhere on the ice. Some dmen only pressure guys once they get to the scoring areas but these two use their arm reach to keep in check the whole time, totally old school.

This is one of those feel great moments of developing prospects, Pelech right now can play alongside Leddy based on what we have seen. He's a prospect that got a lot of seasoning in the A before getting his spot and right now should be an everyday player but technically when healthy he isn't in the top 6. Thats depth baby! Next year we gonna lose guys. If we trade for a top 6 forward we could lose one at the deadline and that's the beauty of Pelech right now. Giving Garth options because he can already replace guys.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com

Him and Mayfield are so old school, both are super wide guys and make it so hard for guys to take space anywhere on the ice. Some dmen only pressure guys once they get to the scoring areas but these two use their arm reach to keep in check the whole time, totally old school.

This is one of those feel great moments of developing prospects, Pelech right now can play alongside Leddy based on what we have seen. He's a prospect that got a lot of seasoning in the A before getting his spot and right now should be an everyday player but technically when healthy he isn't in the top 6. Thats depth baby! Next year we gonna lose guys. If we trade for a top 6 forward we could lose one at the deadline and that's the beauty of Pelech right now. Giving Garth options because he can already replace guys.

Most likely learned that move from Brent Thompson , thats how he played back in the day with the Wolfpack and Springfield. Oh ya I have been following AHL hockey since 85ish...Yup Im old.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Most likely learned that move from Brent Thompson , thats how he played back in the day with the Wolfpack and Springfield. Oh ya I have been following AHL hockey since 85ish...Yup Im old.

Mayfield too. Even bigger fan of Brent if that's him. Like how do you move an Anders Lee in front of the net these days? You can't, but you can delay him getting there and that's what those boys do.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I have always liked Pelech. Too many naysayers who changed their tune when they actually saw him play. Kid is smart and doesn't do too many dumb moves. I really like him..

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011

Team has been rolling with absence of Hammonic and Hickey. Both are replacable and arent nearly as good as we make them out to be. Pelech and Pulock both offer more at this point and we should be looking to move ham and hick.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I agree...we need to make moves...I am thinking for future picks. We are seriously low on both wings and not that great looking at the centre position. Outside of Barzal...we got Verhaeghe and Quine...

We are super deep on defence (go figure) and goal...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Team has been rolling with absence of Hammonic and Hickey. Both are replacable and arent nearly as good as we make them out to be. Pelech and Pulock both offer more at this point and we should be looking to move ham and hick.

Hamonic is good, but I don't think he and Leddy pair well together at all. Capuano was insistent on keeping them together even though they were struggling.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Keep in mind George McPhee is the Vegas GM, and while he likes to build entertaining teams, he did draft Karl Alzner, someone who plays very similar to Adam Pelech.

I know they want to be competitive in year one, but I think Pelech has had enough seasoning to the point where after another offseason, he will be closing in on being just as effective, if not more effective than Hickey.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Hamonic is good, but I don't think he and Leddy pair well together at all. Capuano was insistent on keeping them together even though they were struggling.

Not trying to be a jerk at all, but what is so good about hamonics game? Hes not good carrying the puck, shooting the puck, skating, and he has even been poor in his own end this year. Pelech, Pulock, and Toews are all higher ceiling players than Hamonic. Hes home grown and the fans love him but hes been the same player for years and hasnt evolved his game. We can do better. Tradable contract, replaceable player.

Barzaltrick

The New York Saints
Jan 18, 2011
I've always been a fan of Pelech. If there's a choice between having to protect Cizikas or Pelech, I'd pick Pelech 10 times out of 10.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not trying to be a jerk at all, but what is so good about hamonics game? Hes not good carrying the puck, shooting the puck, skating, and he has even been poor in his own end this year. Pelech, Pulock, and Toews are all higher ceiling players than Hamonic. Hes home grown and the fans love him but hes been the same player for years and hasnt evolved his game. We can do better. Tradable contract, replaceable player.

Hamonic is good at skating the puck, he's not good at making decisions once he enters the offensive zone. He's also a player that can be physical, while being mobile, and elevates his game in the playoffs.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I like Hamonic, but I wonder if Pelech's play may have allowed the team to consider trading the former. I am not advocating that, but it could be a consideration given the upcoming expansion draft. As others have stated, I could see Pelech being the guy who is taken. Has he passed Pulock on the depth chart? Could we protect both? de Haan is another guy I'd like to protect. So, with Boychuk, Leddy, and Hamonic (unless he is traded), we have three other guys who COULD be protectable in de Haan, Pelech, and Pulock. We could protect all six of those guys if we only protected JT and Ladd. But, that would then expose Lee to the expansion draft. I'd have to think he'd be taken. I am much less concerned about losing Strome and Nelson.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Yeah I'd say he is right now. Could be just stepping up to the plate and not sustainable but right now he is.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Keep in mind George McPhee is the Vegas GM, and while he likes to build entertaining teams, he did draft Karl Alzner, someone who plays very similar to Adam Pelech.

I know they want to be competitive in year one, but I think Pelech has had enough seasoning to the point where after another offseason, he will be closing in on being just as effective, if not more effective than Hickey.

Considering McPhees position as a former Islander insider, it will be interesting to see who he ultimately chooses and values the most out of who we make available. It may be the chalk pick (like a Strome or Pulock) or it may be a guy like Pelech that would be more surprising.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

Everyone's focused on McPhee, but are completely missing that Kelly McCrimmon was Ryan Pulock's coach with the Brandon Wheat Kings for four years. McCrimmon is the assistant GM. I would put money on Pulock being the pick if left unprotected. McCrimmon knows Pulock better than McPhee knows any of the players in the Isles org. He will push for him.

de Haan is due for a big raise, we're up against the cap, and we have replacements in the system. I would go 4+4 and protect Pulock, without hesitation. de Haan gets picked, then we have spots open for Pelech and Pulock to begin their NHL careers full time with Toews right behind them, and Wotherspoon, Quenneville, and Vande Sompel behind him. If Pelech gets picked, we still have de Haan... and a cap problem next year.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I'll say it...

Pelech > Hamonic

Trade #3 in the summer for the best fwd we can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00