Adam Oates

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Gregor had a great article up on OL. It mentions that Oates now is a skill coach and guys like Purcell hire him.

Do you not think it would be smart for Edm to think about hiring Oates full time as their own skills coach? Do you remember what he did for our young centre's in 03-04.

Horc and Stoll mentioned how much Oates helped them learn the art of the face off etc.

Oates made Purcell cut a few inches off his stick and now he is playing much better.

There is no salary cap on coaching staff. I wonder if it would be wise for Edmonton to look into hiring Oates? He doesn't even have to be on the bench...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
His effect on Stoll and Horcoff was amazing for faceoffs. Maybe Reasoner too

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Whats strange to me is that we don't have a 'skill coach' (that compliments McLellan's practices) following these players around 100% during the season to begin with.

Whether its Oates or someone else I'd be happy if we hired someone to help guys get fulltime work in on the finer points of their game.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
He could also help the powerplay. If I remember correctly, Washington's powerplay was unstoppable under Oates... Of course we don't have an Ovechkin...

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
He's supposed to be a power play wizard, plus he could work 1 on 1 with some of our struggling players. Definitely hope we are interested.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I advocated us hiring him as a skills coach well before he even started providing this service, so I'm definitely on board. I'm sure a lot of guys could get some small benefit from him, but RNH and Yak are the two I could see him helping a lot right now.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Hiring Oates would be a huge move if he wants to stop his personal business for a while. He helped big time back in the day when he signed with us and played 60 games.

I forgot if it was Oates, but I remember hearing him on the radio in Vancouver and he said he actually went to the Oilers GM and offered to give some salary back because of his lack of production lol. Talk about character.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fire Woodcroft, bring him in. He's a pp machine, as a player and as a coach

McLellan brought his boy Woodcroft in for a reason, and really, 18th overall for powerplay percentage really isn't that bad. Now, if we were DFL like Calgary, there'd be reason for concern.

I really think it's personnel. Keep in mind that we're out basically an entire powerplay unit with Pouliot, McDavid, Yak, and Klefbom all out.

Also - a MASSIVE improvement over last year - Edmonton is one of only two teams to not allow a shorthanded goal this year.

Teams like Toronto or Vancouver, with marginally better powerplays but allowing 4 SHG's against, I wouldn't consider as 'better'.

All in all our special teams are pretty average.

19 PPG
0 SHGA
19 PPGA
1 SHG

Net: +1. Woo.

Calgary, on the other hand, is actively getting crushed on their special teams.

10 PPG
3 SHGA
23 PPGA
0 SHG

Net: -16. Woof.

Last edited:

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
McLellan brought his boy Woodcroft in for a reason, and really, 18th overall for powerplay percentage really isn't that bad. Now, if we were DFL like Calgary, there'd be reason for concern.

I really think it's personnel. Keep in mind that we're out basically an entire powerplay unit with Pouliot, McDavid, Yak, and Klefbom all out.

Also - a MASSIVE improvement over last year - Edmonton is one of only two teams to not allow a shorthanded goal this year.

Teams like Toronto or Vancouver, with marginally better powerplays but allowing 4 SHG's against, I wouldn't consider as 'better'.

All in all our special teams are pretty average.

19 PPG
0 SHGA
19 PPGA
1 SHG

Net: +1. Woo.

Calgary, on the other hand, is actively getting crushed on their special teams.

10 PPG
3 SHGA
23 PPGA
0 SHG

Net: -16. Woof.

But Justin Schultz man...

The PP also scored yesterday. They score goals... And it'll be better with McDavid, but hey. What kind of Oilers fan would I be if I didn't constantly complain.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
But Justin Schultz man...

The PP also scored yesterday. They score goals... And it'll be better with McDavid, but hey. What kind of Oilers fan would I be if I didn't constantly complain.

Schultz is a head scratcher for sure. I wonder if they've been given direction from Chiarelli to find out if Schultz is in any way salvageable.

There's no reason that a PP unit of Testube, Eberle, Korpikoski, Pakarinen and Sekera should look more dangerous than a unit with Hall, Drai, RNH, Purcell, and Schultz.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The thing is a guy like Oates is probably better off doing what he does now. Gets independent contracts, works when he wants and does what he wants. getting an assistant gig really restricts him and the way he does things.

As for Woodcroft, he sure helped on the dot in a short time so I don't know that he's completely useless.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Yeah not a fan of firing Woodcroft, I like our coaching staff they are doing a lot of great work as a whole, he's McLellan's right hand man even if our PP isn't quite clicking like I would like he needs to stay. I'd prefer Oates as just that last addition to our coaching staff and to focus on skills like he is now, but for our whole team instead of just Purcell and maybe consult a bit on the powerplay on the side.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They should hire him just for turning Purcell into an actual NHL player from time to time. That in itself, is an amazing feat.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

And yet, for many years, San Jose has had one of the most lethal PP's in the league with Woodcroft directing it. Maybe it's the players not fitting the system, or lack of a certain type of player on it that we need? (I'm looking at you, Justin Schultz)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oilers have more than enough skill. Is there a Board and Net Front Battles coach?

It's the same **** every year. We have all these skilled guys that look for the perfect play. We just need to start getting more pucks towards the net on a regular basis.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Elliotte Friedman Retweeted
Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 21m21 minutes ago
#RedWings have brought Adam Oates in to work with their team for the next three days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad