Player Discussion Adam Larsson Part IV

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
It was Hall's fault that the Oilers had a **** poor roster? Oilers imploded every year because they were bad. Look at the roster turnover. Look at the fact that these young players have had time to improve. Look at the fact that we have the best player in the world. Look at the fact that we have one of the best goalies in the league.

Hall didn't have Larsson. Hall didn't have the Klefbom we have now. Hall didn't have the best player in the world. Hall didn't Lucic. We could continue this nonsense. But Hall never had a team with this depth.

Hall is not the reason for the Oilers problems. Hall was one of the few bright points on the team. What the hell is objective in suggesting that Hall is the reason for the Oilers problems? Give it a rest. This whole narrative of Hall being the reason they lost and Larsson is the reason they're drastically improved now is a joke. I love that we have Larsson and I like how he plays. I enjoy watching him break up chances and physically dominate the opposition. I have hopes that he can improve his offensive production which will make him even more useful.

After Larsson's two goal game. Instead of celebrating idiots danced on Hall like he was the true problem. We have some truly horrible fans.

Why keep asking for sources? You aren't going to accept anything but people saying Taylor Hall is great.

It's really weak to reply to other people's opinions by asking them to prove the unprovable. That doesn't really accomplish much.

How's this for something to think about? Edmonton absolutely wouldn't do a straight up Larsson for Hall trade now. New Jersey would at least have to think about it. No I can't provide a source or 'prove' that. Failure to accept the blindingly obvious by continually asking for proof is tiring.

So basically, I can make something up. Something completely unsubstantiated and force them to prove me wrong? It's, like, just my opinion ya know, but it's, like, also how I'm, ya know, gonna justify ******** on a guy and turning it into truth. If we're going to justify the trade we can do that by saying that we got ourselves a good defenseman.

You can, but if you'd like to continue along this path I'd suggest you take it outside of the Larsson thread. Unless you can shoehorn it into being about Larsson.

We were lucky to have him because he got us McDavid. I'm very convinced, both by watching and "word of mouth" that he hurt the team as a whole. I don't care if you don't believe it. He was a decent offensive player and good point producer with speed at his best. Most of his offensive tools were very overrated by a lot of people. You don't seem to understand putting up points does NOT necessarily mean you are a positive contributor to a team when there are many intangibles that you lack or have as negative assets that cause you to drag the team down so we are not going to agree. You can look at your stat numbers, advanced stats and what you think is a driver type player and see what you want. I'm telling you hall is like an ugly girl with a terrible personality with tons of make up on to fool those who can't see through it. You go and ask most Oilers players now and those in hockey ops with the team and if they are honest and candid they will tell you what they thought of Hall here and I promise you will hear what I've been telling you.

His effort level was also a bit of a fallacy too. He tried very very hard at certain points in games at certain parts of the ice on certain nights. It fools people who don't know what they are watching. I've seen on the NJ board that a few of them have been complaining about Hall's effort level this year. It doesn't surprise me. We are waaaaay better off with him not being on this team.

Exhibit B:

This was the defence to finish off last season (game#75)

Andrej Sekera - Mark Fayne
Darnell Nurse - Adam Clendening
Jordan Oesterle - Griffin Reinhart

vs.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Davidson/Nurse-Benning/Gryba

Now which defence gives its team a chance to win, and which one is a raging tire fire?

If you swapped Hall for Larsson and did nothing else this team is still likely out of the playoffs. Look at NJ, they basically did just that. Larsson out, Hall in, plus a bunch of junk like Lovejoy too, and they're still stuck in square 1. If NJ had kept Larsson this year, odds are that team is still in the same spot.

The big difference isn't the lack of Hall; it's that Chai brought in Lucic to minimize the loss of Hall (Drai's development was a saving grace here), added Russell and Benning on top of Larsson, plus the team got a healthy season out of Klefbom, with either a one of Davidson or Nurse good to go at all times.

That's the difference.

So this thread is essentially only for slandering Hall's claimed character issues and glorifying Larsson?

I do agree that it should be a thread about Larsson but the Hall discussion seems to have started by those ******** on Hall. I'm just attempting to provide a counter-point.

That's a lot of anger there. Hall definitely wasn't the answer to any of the Oilers problems.

Chia made the bold moves that MacT foolishly talked about. Hall for Larsson was certainly a bold move. Had it not worked out and the Oilers were in the bottom five in the league this season Chia would have been in trouble. Chia decided that biggest piece of the puzzle to go was Hall. Chia may have preferred to keep Hall, but didn't consider him untouchable.

Pointing to the team's improvement with Hall isn't defecating on him. I think when Hall eventually figures it out he will be a very good 2LW on a Cup contender. For whatever reason he just hasn't been able to deliver in his career as the main star. Two different teams now. The results speak for themselves.

Classic, Hall now a second liner after years of Oilers fans claiming he was top 3. One player does not make a team and that goes both ways.

Last few posts are still about Hall.

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
As everyone who recognizes my username knows, I love Larsson for what he brings to the team.

I am extremely comfortable with Klefbom and Larsson being our top pairing for years to come. This season, we saw Larsson spend a lot of time covering for Klefbom. Near the end of the regular season and into the playoffs, though, we have seen Larsson jump into the play and activate in the offensive zone a lot more.

Once Klefbom irons out some defensive and concentration issues and Larsson gets his groove in the offensive zone, other teams are going to absolutely hate playing against them on both sides of the puck.

It's one thing for one player in a pairing to be an offensive threat, but it's another for both of them to be. It makes forechecking and in-game adjustments against them all the more difficult.

Exciting times.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
I'm going to disengage from the discussion. But I will say that I love Larsson as a player.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think we're all gonna really enjoy seeing Klef/Larsson develop together into one of the best top pairings in the league. Especially for the collective 8.3M of cap hit.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Agreed on not taking Hall back. The improvement in the locker room with Hall gone is another factor in not doing that trade again.
Do tell. How are things in the locker room? From an insider's view I mean, cause I'm just a fan who doesn't get to go inside.
I'd warrant that dumping the whining Yakupov had more to do with improving room vibe than anything else, but again, I'm just a fan so I'll avoid making declarative statements about stuff I have no real way of knowing.
I'll say it again. If we magically got Hall back on this roster and gave up nothing, we would be a WORSE team. Team unity, belief, cohesiveness mental strength and team play on ice will would decrease..
Wow. Ridiculous comments like this are rare even on this board. :dunce:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Do tell. How are things in the locker room? From an insider's view I mean, cause I'm just a fan who doesn't get to go inside.
I'd warrant that dumping the whining Yakupov had more to do with improving room vibe than anything else, but again, I'm just a fan so I'll avoid making declarative statements about stuff I have no real way of knowing.
Wow. Ridiculous comments like this are rare even on this board. :dunce:

because your scope of evaluating a player and his affect on his team is so narrow and limited it's not going to make sense to you. no use trying to repeat myself.
i'll say one thing. Hall is outstanding at getting his team 1st overall picks! Wow, he has/will welcome 4 different 1st overall picks onto his team now. Insane! lol, maybe the trade has even out a bit now that's it's Larsson for Hall plus 1st overall pick.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
because your scope of evaluating a player and his affect on his team is so narrow and limited it's not going to make sense to you. no use trying to repeat myself.
i'll say one thing. Hall is outstanding at getting his team 1st overall picks! Wow, he has/will welcome 4 different 1st overall picks onto his team now. Insane! lol, maybe the trade has even out a bit now that's it's Larsson for Hall plus 1st overall pick.
You're being really silly here.

I think our team needed Larsson more than Hall and that the team's locker room dynamics benefited from his departure, but Hall isn't some player who ruins teams. The Oilers failed Hall a lot more than Hall failed the Oilers.

If New Jersey had Hall and Larsson this season, they may not have finished with a -61 goal differential and 70 points... they would have finished more along the lines of a -45 to -50 goal differential and 74-78 points. Their team is that thin. They would have been caved in every time Greene-Larsson was off the ice.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Cool story.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

I think our team needed Larsson more than Hall and that the team's locker room dynamics benefited from his departure, but Hall isn't some player who ruins teams. The Oilers failed Hall a lot more than Hall failed the Oilers.

If New Jersey had Hall and Larsson this season, they may not have finished with a -61 goal differential and 70 points... they would have finished more along the lines of a -45 to -50 goal differential and 74-78 points. Their team is that thin. They would have been caved in every time Greene-Larsson was off the ice.

So you think Hall would have been subtraction by addition in that scenario?(NJ was -24 with 84 pts the previous season) :popcorn:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Ruins? I don't know about that but as I have always said. He is a net negative player on his team until he changes. I believe team Canada agrees as they do everything they can to avoid picking him for the Olympic and World cup teams. Many of us agree we would not want Hall back on this team even for free as he would ruin the dynamics of this successful group. I don't know what affect he has on the dynamics of the NJ room and team but I am willing to make a bit of a connection between them doing noticeably worse this year compared to last year with essentially a very similar team. Yes Larsson has been outstanding for us this year... but it doesnt not mean he would have been the same if he were with NJ this year with Hall in NJ too. There is so much more to evaluating a players performance in hockey as it is a true team sports with many dynamic variables. I personally believe Hall negatively affects team dynamics on and off ice. At least in Edmonton for sure.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Niet said:
It was Hall's fault that the Oilers had a **** poor roster? Oilers imploded every year because they were bad. Look at the roster turnover. Look at the fact that these young players have had time to improve. Look at the fact that we have the best player in the world. Look at the fact that we have one of the best goalies in the league.

Hall didn't have Larsson. Hall didn't have the Klefbom we have now. Hall didn't have the best player in the world. Hall didn't Lucic. We could continue this nonsense. But Hall never had a team with this depth.

Hall is not the reason for the Oilers problems. Hall was one of the few bright points on the team. What the hell is objective in suggesting that Hall is the reason for the Oilers problems? Give it a rest. This whole narrative of Hall being the reason they lost and Larsson is the reason they're drastically improved now is a joke. I love that we have Larsson and I like how he plays. I enjoy watching him break up chances and physically dominate the opposition. I have hopes that he can improve his offensive production which will make him even more useful.

After Larsson's two goal game. Instead of celebrating idiots danced on Hall like he was the true problem. We have some truly horrible fans.

I never once said Hall was to blame for past woes. Not once. You're completely making that up to deride a very accurate assessment that the team didn't crater once Hall got traded, which was brought up constantly by many posters.

It's good you've stepped out of the discussion, because telling me to "give it a rest" to something I never said nor even implied shows how weak your position is to begin with.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

You just did make a 'declarative statement' about stuff none of us really has a way of knowing.

Why did you make your statement about Yakupov? As a fan do you watch the team, the players and how they conduct themselves during games in interviews etc? Do you read what journalists who cover the team say about the players? Do you read what people on here say? Do you assimilate all of those sources of information to come up with your opinion?

That seems like a reasonable process to follow. For all the Captain Obviouses here making the same point over and over that we aren't in the room. Of course they are all correct, but what is gained by pointing that out?

Is the purpose of a hockey message board to share our views and opinions on the team? To assimilate those opinions and use them as we share our fandom? I prefer those as options. We all have opinions. In your opinion trading Yak helped improve team chemistry, you shared that opinion despite the unnecessary disclaimer about declarative statements.

There are a few of us posters who think that chemistry played a role in the Hall trade. Those are our opinions.

Sooo, as of tonight can we say that the Devils officially won the trade? ;)

Well played sir. Well played.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm loving the chemistry that I believe Larsson is bringing to our team D corps and Talbot. He seems to be a calming presence on the ice which affects his defensive partner in Klef, Dadbot to an extent, and maybe the team in general. A lot of it is a 2 way street though, to be sure. As a fan who has watched the Oilers since their NHL debut and as a fan who has watched through the DOD (as Cloned and possibly a couple of other poster have declared the last 10 years), I certainly feel MUCH more relaxed and positive when he is out on the ice doing his stuff.

Larsson's friggin awesome! What a pickup.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Let's just thank our lucky stars that Shattenkirk wouldn't agree to an extension here, as if he would have we'd probably be stuck paying him $6M to look like Jultz did when he was an Oiler instead of having Larsson right now.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
You build really good teams with defensemen just like Larsson. Sometimes the cost to get them is more than we wanted to pay but you have to pay for it somehow.

I'm happy to have him.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
You build really good teams with defensemen just like Larsson. Sometimes the cost to get them is more than we wanted to pay but you have to pay for it somehow.

I'm happy to have him.

Yup. The defensive core of this team is solid. Larsson and Klefbom are the anchors. A solid top-pairing for the first time in far too long.

Sekera/Benning/Nurse should be 3/5/6. Either Chia picks somebody up, re-signs Russell or there's another pleasant surprise in training camp like Benning this year.

So great to have a truly good defence.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Let's just thank our lucky stars that Shattenkirk wouldn't agree to an extension here, as if he would have we'd probably be stuck paying him $6M to look like Jultz did when he was an Oiler instead of having Larsson right now.

110% fans usually like the shiny pieces when the real gold is further down. Add Green and Barrie to this list.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
So now can we talk about how there was a secret clause i the trade where in NJ won the draft lottery then Edmonton got it's first round pick.....just to watch the world burn.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So now can we talk about how there was a secret clause i the trade where in NJ won the draft lottery then Edmonton got it's first round pick.....just to watch the world burn.

what happened is that our owner is a powerful billionaire who financed a coup that rigged the lottery for us to get McDavid, and Hall figured this out and demanded that Katz rig the lottery for NJ now or he would start talking.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Ruins? I don't know about that but as I have always said. He is a net negative player on his team until he changes. I believe team Canada agrees as they do everything they can to avoid picking him for the Olympic and World cup teams. Many of us agree we would not want Hall back on this team even for free as he would ruin the dynamics of this successful group. I don't know what affect he has on the dynamics of the NJ room and team but I am willing to make a bit of a connection between them doing noticeably worse this year compared to last year with essentially a very similar team. Yes Larsson has been outstanding for us this year... but it doesnt not mean he would have been the same if he were with NJ this year with Hall in NJ too. There is so much more to evaluating a players performance in hockey as it is a true team sports with many dynamic variables. I personally believe Hall negatively affects team dynamics on and off ice. At least in Edmonton for sure.

Having Hall for free when we already have Larsson as well?
Hell yeah!

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You just did make a 'declarative statement' about stuff none of us really has a way of knowing. Why did you make your statement about Yakupov?
Because people are using rank speculation to presume that Hall was a poor leader, cancer, detriment to the club etc.
So I thought the topic was 'why do the Oilers have such harmony and balance in their dressing room' this season as opposed to past seasons.
Contrary to you and other who use gossip and your own personal bias to run down former players, I stick to facts.
Facts like ... Yakupov twice asked to be traded. Once before he he had even completed a full season's worth of games. :shakehead
As a team mate I would take an extremely low view of that. Much lower than say I might view a guy who goes to a club and forgets to invite everyone to go along.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
You Hall defenders can make all the excuses you want for why this team sucked every year he was here.

Guess what Larsson had the highest +/- on the team after McDavid.

Says a ton about a guy who doesnt even look to put up points. How comfortable his teammates are going for goals when hes out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad