Adam Johnson Update - Police bail extended

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Just posting as FYI. It doesn’t need further debate or speculation at this point so perhaps close the thread. There are two separate articles posted recently today:

Bail extended, investigation continues:

Interview with a team mate, Victor Bjorkung:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just posting as FYI. It doesn’t need further debate or speculation at this point so perhaps close the thread. There are two separate articles posted recently today:

Bail extended, investigation continues:

Interview with a team mate, Victor Bjorkung:
The problem is that many people on this site do not understand law here in the UK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Forgive my ignorance, but what does "re-bailed until June 26" mean? I read the article, but most of it was a recap of the incident, the outpouring from fans and Johnson being remembered. Didn't talk much about the actual case or Petgrave's current situation other than "re-bailed until June 26".

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
The problem is that many people on this site do not understand law here in the UK
what does re-bail mean? in the states you either pay bail and are released until trial or you stay in jail until then (major crimes aside where bail might not be permitted)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Forgive my ignorance, but what does "re-bailed until June 26" mean? I read the article, but most of it was a recap of the incident, the outpouring from fans and Johnson being remembered. Didn't talk much about the actual case or Petgrave's current situation other than "re-bailed until June 26".

what does re-bail mean? in the states you either pay bail and are released until trial or you stay in jail until then (major crimes aside where bail might not be permitted)

My understanding is it basically just means the investigation is still formally open and whatever conditions he was released on, still remain intact, they were extended with more time.

Just a formality, nothing has changed. He's still under formal investigation and there's possibly a case being made against him.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i am a 60 second google uk law expert.

in the uk you can be arrested and then released by the police under suspicion without charges but with terms attached to the release by the police (not a judge) such as "do not leave the jurisdiction" or "do not approach witnesses". they can also make you surrender your passport. that is a kind of bail. it expires automatically after a set period so the police have to bring you before a judge to justify extending the terms. that is "re-bail". a typical reason for extending bail like that is that the police are waiting for expert reports. a typical reason for imposing this kind of bail is that the suspect is a foreign national.

so this means the police have told the judge they are still investigating and need more time.

Reactions: CanuckCity

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
"Players are responsible for their stick but not their leg!"

He'll get off after the upcoming show trial. Followed by the UK media turning him into a hero.

Reactions: TimeZone

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Any idea what this lengthy investigation involves? Is it an intense breakdown of hours of hockey footage by experts in movement, physics, ect to determine if his movements leading up to the contact could have happened by accident?

dlocal

May 15, 2011
Oregon OH
How long would any of that take though? You would think that at this point they would have figured that out.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Any idea what this lengthy investigation involves? Is it an intense breakdown of hours of hockey footage by experts in movement, physics, ect to determine if his movements leading up to the contact could have happened by accident?

IMO it's going to be very difficult to prove it was intentional. It's not like Johnson was laying on the ice and the guy stepped on his neck.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
IMO it's going to be very difficult to prove it was intentional. It's not like Johnson was laying on the ice and the guy stepped on his neck.

I unwittingly saw a video of the incident. I didn't want to see it, but I did.

The lashing out of the leg was very much intentional. I honestly don't know how one could watch what happened and decide the act wasn't intentional. This was not just a tragic accident that occurred during the run of play in a hockey game.

The intentional act directly resulted in the death of a human being. That's homicide. You want to argue degree, so be it.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

Imagine you're driving your car on the expressway. You're distracted and fail to notice that traffic has come to a stop ahead of you. You barrel into the back of another car at high speed, killing the driver in front of you. Was this pre-meditated? Absolutely not. Is your gross negligence and reckless driving the cause for loss of life? Absolutely. I see this situation as no different. This is as cut and dry as involuntary manslaughter gets.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Imagine you're driving your car on the expressway. You're distracted and fail to notice that traffic has come to a stop ahead of you. You barrel into the back of another car at high speed, killing the driver in front of you. Was this pre-meditated? Absolutely not. Is your gross negligence and reckless driving the cause for loss of life? Absolutely. I see this situation as no different. This is as cut and dry as involuntary manslaughter gets.

Terrible analogy, completely different situations. I could make an analogy saying “imagine no one was wearing seat belts because the National highway association said “ya, they might save lives, but they don’t look cool and the drivers don’t like em, so.. nah.””

Reckless driving is a specific thing already difficult to legislate and judge, it is not as all as black-and-white as you make it, and again- this is hockey. You could make analogies to gun safety, theme park safety, whatever, they’ll all be flawed because they aren’t as similar as you make them out to be.

Cool to see those instincts that led to witch hunts are still active though.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

These two situations are not remotely similar.

The player got hit and went flying, how is that gross negligence? Was he supposed to not get hit during a game of hockey (which is a sport where hitting players is apart of the game)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Part of the problem is that the Brits do not understand Ice Hockey and they will need outsider to explain it them. The second part of the problem is that the people they are talking to may bring a natural bias that the Brits no understand

Reactions: dukeofjive

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
While I dont know what happened in this instance after watching some of the playoffs and hearing people talk about intent I wonder if anyone really knows the physics of having a heavy object (skate) at the end of a pendulum (leg) and what happens to that when it gets hit with a pretty hard impact?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad