Player Discussion Adam Gaudette (C/RW)Claimed off Waivers from Chicago

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Has he ever played wing? It would be nice to get Stutzle someone who can actually shoot and make plays on his line.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Smart pickup given that Pinto/White are out, but I hope this doesn't mean Stutzle gets moved back to LW

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
a 25 year old league min player that we get for free that has shown potential in the past, i dont mind it at all as long we dont keep playing him if he doesnt show up. Might be one of Dorions best and most logical move

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Talented player. Weird guy.

Do not play him at C. Vancouver spent almost 4 years trying to make the C thing work and it just doesn't. Can not handle the defensive side of the game at the NHL level at that position. And he's a shooter, not a distributor. Needs to play on wing on a scoring line.

If he gets some confidence back and is used on the wing with a good playmaking C, I'm convinced he could pop 20-25 goals. But he has never even remotely been put in that situation. Virtually all of his NHL games are as a fish-out-of-water bottom-6 C.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The lowdown on him is that he has some scoring and playmaking potential but is not the fastest skater and behind Strome on depth chart. Some poster speculated on CHI board that there maybe some off ice issues that may have deprived him of prime opportunities, because Strome absolutely sucks.

As a Sens fan, happy with the pick. Free wallet, can't be worse than the Shaws and Sabourins of the world, looks to have more upside than Gamebred Gambrell (who is actually an OK PKer).

Reactions: Xspyrit

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The lowdown on him is that he has some scoring and playmaking potential but is not the fastest skater and behind Strome on depth chart. Some poster speculated on CHI board that there maybe some off ice issues that may have deprived him of prime opportunities, because Strome absolutely sucks.

As a Sens fan, happy with the pick. Free wallet, can't be worse than the Shaws and Sabourins of the world, looks to have more upside than Gamebred Gambrell (who is actually an OK PKer).

There's definitely some extraneous stuff with Gaudette.

One is not his fault - he has a metabolism disorder that makes it difficult for him to build muscle and keep weight on.

But he is a weird guy off the ice. Definitely a Trump guy, not the sharpest tool, might have done some dumbass stuff that led to the COVID outbreak in Vancouver last year (although there are conflicting reports on that), and this year gave an article where said that 'crystals' were helping him play better. The kicking his wife in the face thing at a huge wedding right after the start of COVID is about par for the course.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
There's definitely some extraneous stuff with Gaudette.

One is not his fault - he has a metabolism disorder that makes it difficult for him to build muscle and keep weight on.

But he is a weird guy off the ice. Definitely a Trump guy, not the sharpest tool, might have done some dumbass stuff that led to the COVID outbreak in Vancouver last year (although there are conflicting reports on that), and this year gave an article where said that 'crystals' were helping him play better. The kicking his wife in the face thing at a huge wedding right after the start of COVID is about par for the course.

XFXy.gif

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

As dumb as he is, as a Canuck fan I weirdly kind of liked him. I've never seen anyone so excited to score goals since we had Bure.

The flipside is that this was a hugely talented sniper coming out of college (won the Hobey Baker) whose development was just colossally bungled by Vancouver. Like, if you wanted to destroy a young player you couldn't do a better job if you tried. The question is whether that talent can still be salvaged if he's put in a position to succeed.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Great pickup. Had no idea he was on waivers.

A couple years ago he looked like a stud in the making. Not too late for him at only 25 years of age.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yip, I like it. Why didn't we do this sooner with some other waiver guys? Rem Pitlick would look good right about now...

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Now that's potentially a good move. This guy is a poor's man Turris. If he can score at a 40 pts pace while not hurting the team defensively, that'd be great. Need to play him with 2 responsible wingers though

So hopefully it means that Paul will stay on the Wing because Center doesn't work for him. He's much more efficient on LW so that's where he needs to be

Tkachuk - Norris - Ennis
Formenton - Stutzle - Batherson
Paul - Gaudette - Brown
Sanford - Tierney - Watson
Gambrell

Shaw back to Belleville. This is what I'd do until Pinto, White and Crookshank are healthy. Obviously Ennis and Formenton in the top-6 is not idea but it is what it is in the meantime. At least they can both keep up on these lines, and it makes the bottom-6 stronger

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think that's an horrible idea. Gaudette and Stutzle are weak defensively. Stutzle needs Batherson or Brown.

Well obviously when Batherson is back he should be stapled to Stutzle. Playing him with Brown is just a horrible idea, as we’ve seen, considering how bad he is at finishing. Paul is the defensive conscience who takes the faceoffs anyways

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well obviously when Batherson is back he should be stapled to Stutzle. Playing him with Brown is just a horrible idea, as we’ve seen, considering how bad he is at finishing. Paul is the defensive conscience who takes the faceoffs anyways

Disagree. Brown is a much better top 6 option than Paul.

The goal of the 2nd line is to score goals over defending. Brown is plenty good defensively, is a better skater and scorer than Paul, and is just as good at puck retrieval.

Stu has been fine defensively as a centre, and while he needs further work in that area, he should simply get at it instead of everyone expecting Paul to play half his position.

Paul has not been great for a while now and should be in the third line wing to maximize what he is still doing well at this time.

I personally would try Gaudette with Brady and Norris first to set the tone on the team for him. Sanford has been pretty good in his role, and as a vet could be helpful to Stu on the other side of brown, at least until the new guys gets into the swing of things, and until Bath returns.

Reactions: Yak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad