Adam Fox Vs Victor Hedman

Vote for the best defenceman this season Fox or Hedman and why?

• Total voters

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know a bunch of Tampa fans and none of them even think Hedman is playing well.

The only reason he's anywhere near the Norris discussion is because there's been a changing of the guard to a new crop of elite defensemen and people know who Victor Hedman is.

Reactions: gucc

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Fox
A lot of people aren't following the league outside of their divisions this season as much as usual, I'm thinking many stat watch and assume that Fox is some one dimensional offensive dman just because of his stats. He is better defensively than offensively.

Reactions: flipp

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Don't have the stats bit heard on NHL radio that Fox's stats vs some bottom feeders is lights out and rather pedestrian vs better teams.

Kid looks real good but there is more growing to do . . . for most of the Rangers too.

Reactions: Ignite111

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Don't have the stats bit heard on NHL radio that Fox's stats vs some bottom feeders is lights out and rather pedestrian vs better teams.

Kid looks real good but there is more growing to do . . . for most of the Rangers too.
Isn't that usually true of most players?

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Isn't that usually true of most players?

I would definitely agree when you are comparing most players. When you are talking about the best defenseman in the NHL / argument for the Norris trophy that stuff should be more important. His last 6 games of the year were all against playoff teams (isles,caps,Bruins). He’s got 0 points is a -2 through 3 of them. If he fails to register another point in these three games you still think he’ll have a leg to stand on?

I guess this is also tough for me to judge because I’m an islander fan and he’s got 1 point and is -2 in the 8 games they played. He was nothing special at all. I saw another 12 games or so where he had some great games 1 against the caps and another vrs buffalo for sure I remember. Most of the others he did play well but if you were to tel me this guy should win the Norris I would have said your crazy. I did though miss most of the games Vrs devils, Buffalo and Philly only seeing 5 total.

Now on the other end the last 10 games I saw Hedman play was 6 months ago where he was the best player on the ice by far. His 6 games vrs the isles were unreal and the best defensive performance I have even seen in a playoff like that.

I’m sure you and as well as manny on here watched him in the playoffs last year. So my question is to you / everyone on here has Hedman really fallen off that much in 6 months? I have only seen him once this season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I would definitely agree when you are comparing most players. When you are talking about the best defenseman in the NHL / argument for the Norris trophy that stuff should be more important. His last 6 games of the year were all against playoff teams (isles,caps,Bruins). He's got 0 points is a -2 through 3 of them. If he fails to register another point in these three games you still think he'll have a leg to stand on?

I guess this is also tough for me to judge because I'm an islander fan and he's got 1 point and is -2 in the 8 games they played. He was nothing special at all. I saw another 12 games or so where he had some great games 1 against the caps and another vrs buffalo for sure I remember. Most of the others he did play well but if you were to tel me this guy should win the Norris I would have said your crazy. I did though miss most of the games Vrs devils, Buffalo and Philly only seeing 5 total.

I mean to start with, his offensive ability isn't even the best aspect of his game. I've always maintained (and continue to maintain) that his ability to control the play in his own end is what really separates him from everyone else. His ability to break the puck out under pressure with tape to tape passes is literally generational, and his defensive reads are incredible, bordering on precognizant. I know if defenseman aren't scoring they can be hard to notice, but if you watch him closely you'll pick up on it.

Secondly, he's posted 3g 14p +8 in 15 games vs the top two teams in the division (Pittsburgh and Washington), so its not like he can't produce against good teams.

Yeah, he's struggled to produce against the Islanders and Bruins, who are 1st and 4th in the league in team defense. I would bet that many other players have struggled against them. For example, John Carlson is -11 vs Boston & NYI. Fox is -5 games against those opponents.

As you can see his underlying numbers are actually pretty solid against everyone except the Islanders (even the Bruins - who he had excellent numbers against):

So your intuition is correct, he has been quite poor against the Islanders by his standards. But the Islanders owned the Rangers all year, going 6-2 against them. In those 8 games the Rangers were 1 for 23 on the PP lol. Panarin led all Rangers with just 4 points in 8 games - its just not a good matchup for the Rangers. I would definitely recommend trying to catch more of his games vs other opponents to get a better sense for his talent.

It also doesn't help that he struggled with puck luck pretty badly against NY, Buffalo, and Boston, which obviously contributes to his lack of production in those games. He makes up for it with good puck luck vs my Devils (of course).

Now on the other end the last 10 games I saw Hedman play was 6 months ago where he was the best player on the ice by far. His 6 games vrs the isles were unreal and the best defensive performance I have even seen in a playoff like that.

I'm sure you and as well as manny on here watched him in the playoffs last year. So my question is to you / everyone on here has Hedman really fallen off that much in 6 months? I have only seen him once this season.
Hedman was a beast last year. I will say Fox had a decent first playoffs even though it was short:

Adam Fox's impressive playoffs

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad