Adam Fox vs. Quinn Hughes

Better player going forward?

• Total voters

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hughes gets a lot of love on this site, but this one should not be close. Fox is just a better player.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Convenient timing when Hughes is having a sophomore slump season playing for a terribly defensive team.

I will take Hughes moving forward.

Even more convenient after a night where he he had a goal and 2 apples, and Quinn had no points and was at -3.......

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
-17 looks pretty hairy. Especially when no other defenseman on the teams is worse than -7. Gonna go fox here though could certainly change

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm surprised Fox is winning this. The main boards tend to like high draft choices over performance. Maybe it's just some vocal people.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Fox is better now but the question was going forward and I lean Hughes slightly. No problem with Fox leading it though.

Reactions: bh53

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Fox by a mile. Hughes isn't a top-30 defenceman as things stand, probably bottom-10 in the league defensively. I won't try to predict future, but right now Fox has a huge lead.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Convenient timing when Hughes is having a sophomore slump season playing for a terribly defensive team.

I will take Hughes moving forward.

That might be true, but I think you'd find that a lot of people preferred Fox last season. He didn't get the same Calder consideration because he didn't play PP1. His game isn't about playing PP1, like it is for Hughes and Makar. He's only on our PP1 now because our PP1 defenseman got waived. The PP is probably the worst part of his game.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
That might be true, but I think you'd find that a lot of people preferred Fox last season. He didn't get the same Calder consideration because he didn't play PP1. His game isn't about playing PP1, like it is for Hughes and Makar. He's only on our PP1 now because our PP1 defenseman got waived. The PP is probably the worst part of his game.

Makar and Fox basically have the same amount of powerplay points atm (27 vs 25 for Cale, albeit fewer games played) so I’d say Hughes is really the only guy that’s great at quarterbacking the PP right now.

Reactions: Voight

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I think pendulum has swung the opposite way on Hughes this season, he was being hyped to the heavens last year, and is being trashed pretty harshly this season. He's an elite PP QB and very good offensively. Still, I take Fox because he's extremely good both ways and you can always count on him to make the right play in both ends, and his production is nothing to sneeze at. On a better PP he'd be racking up even more points. Hughes is definitely a huge part of Vancouver's PP but with Horvat, Boeser, EP, and Miller, they're guaranteed at least one PPG per game. Pretty jealous.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Sophomore slump or exceptional rookie season?

Both.

A lot of Rangers fans preferred Fox last season, while majority preferred Hughes.

Right now Hughes is in a sophomore slump, getting tougher minutes, playing without his regular defensive partner, playing for a terribly coached inept team. We will see how these two perform in a year or two.

Making this poll is what you call convenient timing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Both.

A lot of Rangers fans preferred Fox last season, while majority preferred Hughes.

Right now Hughes is in a sophomore slump, getting tougher minutes, playing without his regular defensive partner, playing for a terribly coached inept team. We will see how these two perform in a year or two.

Making this poll is what you call convenient timing.

What? Fox plays almost 2 more minutes a game than Hughes (just under 25 minutes) and is up against the other teams top players all night, also in an arguably much better division.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad