Adam Fox, or Sam Girard?

Adam Fox or Sam Girard

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I like fox better and think he will be a top pairing defender in the future( potential top 15 defender league wide).

However I dont get where Norris talk is coming from this year? He played less than 19 minutes a night. He was not in a overly shutdown role starting 55% in the offensive zone.

He also had high oish% (13.3) and PDO (103.60) . Fox is a great number 3 defender right now. Him being considered a Norris trophy candidate and top 10 NHL defenseman is a huge exaggeration of where he is right now.

Girard is behind him right now but it would not be crazy if he ended up better than him. Girard can end up a solid top pairing guy (strong number 2). Fox will need to play tougher matchups and continue to maintain his strong defensive numbers along with 45-50 point offense to be clearly ahead of him moving forward.

Girard is a bit unfortunate that makar is ahead of him and steal some of his opportunities. Long term crazy he could end up being their 3rd best defender is byram lives up to the hype and potentially 4th best if Timmons exceeds expectations. Avs got an elite defense for the future. Fox should develop in the rangers clear cut number 2 and potentially number depending on if trouba bounces back or if lunqviust is as good as his mumbers/play in Sweden looks

Last edited:
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like fox better and think he will be a top pairing defender in the future( potential top 15 defender league wide).

However I dont get where Norris talk is coming from this year? He played less than 19 minutes a night. He was not in a overly shutdown role starting 55% in the offensive zone.

He also had high oish% (13.3) and PDO (103.60) . Fox is a great number 3 defender right now. Him being considered a Norris trophy candidate and top 10 NHL defenseman is a huge exaggeration of where he is right now.

Girard is behind him right now but it would not be crazy if he ended up better than him. Girard can end up a solid top pairing guy (strong number 2). Fox will need to play tougher matchups and continue to maintain his strong defensive numbers along with 45-50 point offense to be clearly ahead of him moving forward.

Girard is a bit unfortunate that makar is ahead of him and steal some of his opportunities. Long term crazy he could end up being their 3rd best defender is byram lives up to the hype and potentially 4th best if Timmons exceeds expectations. Avs got an elite defense for the future. Fox should develop in the rangers clear cut number 2 and potentially number depending on if trouba bounces back or if lunqviust is as good as his mumbers/play in Sweden looks
That's just Dom, he says things.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
fox by quite a bit.

girard is solid though. sakic worked magic getting girard+byram pick ++ for duchene

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Hm. Really surprised Fox is leading this so highly.

Girard is probably the most underrated D in the league right now. Nate Schmidt 2.0.
No one has said Girard is a bad player or questioned his ability but Fox has had an awesome rookie year and really has the ability to be a top pair defenseman in the league.

Girard's ceiling is maybe number 3 but Fox could be a top liner.

Reactions: Steeler23

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
No one has said Girard is a bad player or questioned his ability but Fox has had an awesome rookie year and really has the ability to be a top pair defenseman in the league.

Don't blame someone for picking Fox but this is absurd. Girard lead a top 3 team in the league and top 5 goals against team in ice time this season. Girard is already a top pairing defenceman.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I hear what you're saying, but Fox was the leader in ES TOI after the ASG, his pairing with Lindgren got elevated to the nominal top pairing because Fox had become our clear #1 defenseman, and he was added to the PK because of how well he was defending. This was his first season of pro hockey, and he's been excellent since game 1 of preseason. The Rangers had two pretty good RHD ahead of him to start this season, so there probably wasn't any rookie defenseman that would've stepped into a #1D role right away. I think being able to become the #1 defenseman after half a season is pretty good.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Girard is probably the most underrated D in the league right now. Nate Schmidt 2.0.

I think it’s just about upside.

Even though they’re the same age, you have to assume Fox has more room to grow given he’s a rookie.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Na I think Girard is already a top pair D. In minutes and quality.

This is a tough poll. Two great young D and both look like future top pair D.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I think it's mainly because of Fox's "advanced" numbers being so highly touted. He was 10th in GAR and 6th in xGAR among defensemen, led all defensemen over 500 minutes in relCF%, was 8th in relGF% among all defensemen and his RAPM chart is pretty damn full.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The bolded made me laugh lol

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

**** the Flames glad they don’t have Fox.

The reason HFOil and HFAvs generally get along so well stems from that series in last years playoffs you guys had against the Flames.

Some of the most hilarious posts I’ve seen on here was between our two sub forums.

Although if the Avs and Oilers become the heavy western conference contenders over the next few years like many anticipate, I expect our camaraderie may disappear lol

Reactions: Spilot23

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Fox has not played more than 60 games. Let’s dial it back and see what happens when teams actually start planning for him.
It’s a fair point, and I’m not dismissing Girard at all, heck of a young player. Fox hasn’t exactly been sheltered though, he’s doing his damage 5v5 and gotten plenty of tough matchups as the season went on. Both guys are the same age with Girard having multiple seasons under his belt, will be fun to see what they’ll become going into their prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad